Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Wyoming yes, but Gillette???

Quote Originally Posted by aaaaaa View Post
    back in '85 when the K bikes arrived they made a whining sound. K-whiners we called um. Look like a new breed has sprung up for '07 without BMW enginering having to lift a finger. I'm dreaming of a beautiful 9000 mile loop from/to New Jersey which includes a stop in Gillette. It'll be the best rally yet.
    robert
    04GS 00RT
    I'm with you Robert!

My loop will start in upstate NY and may only be 4500 miles. I'm sure Gillette will be great but it's one stop along the way. I can't wait to take another trip over Beartooth pass and Chief Joseph Highway. Rode those roads for the first time in '04 on the return trip from the Spokane rally. Makes my adrenalin flow just thinking about it. See you there!

"west bend, west WHAT?"

DejaVU baby!

II seem to have read this thread before? Same arguments, same counters, same stuff! How can this be? WOW! New names!

And whats really wow is I have been told by many of the lifers at this ward is that each year, about the same time...it starts all over again! Last years threads were called like "west bend, west WHAT?"

And you don't believe in space aliens, HA!

Have fun and NO suggestive pictures!
    Last edited by redclfco; 10-19-2007 at 01:02 AM. Reason: spelin

Slowpoke & Proud of It! BRADFORDBENN's Avatar
    I am probably in the minority, but I am not as concerned about the riding around the venue, but the riding to get there. I just enjoy hanging out at the Rally with a few thousand of my friends. This year at West Bend, I had a blast. I also did not ride at all except for going to dinner once.
    -=Brad

It isn't what you ride, it is if you ride

I am with Brad. I always do most of my riding before the rally. I usually try to explore the state or the general area before the rally and then park during the rally. There are so many things to do at the rally, I don't have time to go riding.
    That is why I rely on the local members to post there favorite rides/roads of there home state on the forum or in the MOA-ON before the rally.
    Bernie Echt
    Jacksonville, FL
    2007 R1200RT Double Silver, 2000 R11RT sold (103K)
    MOA#92589, BMWNEF, BMW Outriders, BMW-RA, AMA

RK Ryder

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by BradfordBenn View Post
    I am probably in the minority, but I am not as concerned about the riding around the venue, but the riding to get there. I just enjoy hanging out at the Rally with a few thousand of my friends. This year at West Bend, I had a blast. I also did not ride at all except for going to dinner once.
    Ditto
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Treasurer of the Forest City Motorrad Club #159
    Knights of the Roundel #333

Halifax and Larry's River, Nova Scotia, Canada
    as Grant, aaaaaa and others have said, we too will be consuming many miles getting there and coming back. Lots to see. Our plan is to take in Nashville, Austin, Las Vegas, Santa Barbara, Cal #1, Vancouver Is. , Calgary, Gillette, and whatever after that. We look forward to getting to the rally and be surrounded by a diverse assembly of folks who have a 'common thread' of interest, lots of beer (is Bud really a beer??), good music, lots to learn in seminars, lots of stuff to buy +++ Why would I spend that time riding around the place?? Our only time in the Gillette area was when we overlooked getting gas there and almost running out in Crazy Woman Creek. (another story) Anyway, we, like many many others, will be there as we have previously. See you there. -Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com
    Salty Fog Riders Motorcycle Tourism Promotions
    Larry's River, Nova Scotia, CANADA

I hope to tie in Top of the Rockies the weekend after (i think). I tend to agree that riding at the rally is not the draw. I plan the drive there and back to be FUN. The time there is to enjoy the beer, attend a seminar or two, and did I say enjoy a beer!
    2002 R1150R (Black)

Quote Originally Posted by ScottM View Post
    I hope to tie in Top of the Rockies the weekend after (i think). I tend to agree that riding at the rally is not the draw. I plan the drive there and back to be FUN. The time there is to enjoy the beer, attend a seminar or two, and did I say enjoy a beer!
    And volunteer some? That's fun, too!

Muriel
    BMW MOA Secretary
    '07 F650 '12 F650 twin
    Running on One Cylinder - except when running on two

Yep, did the back gate at West Bend Thursday night. Pretty crazy but a good time.
    2002 R1150R (Black)

First off, I'd like to say a big THANK YOU to Friedle for volunteering your time to plan the upcoming rally. As a former chairperson for a major local event, I know first hand that you will have plenty of critics and nay-sayers. Unfortunately, it's it too few who take the time to say thanks for your efforts.

To those critics and nay-sayers, what have you done to assist in this process? I'm sure there is plenty of room for more volunteers so jump in and get involved!

We all have a choice - attend the rally, or don't. Whether it's for the roads to ride on or the opportunity to be amongst friends, we all have our reasons for wanting to be there. If it's about the journey, just pick another route or another rally.

Unfortunately I will not be there. Not because of the location but a lack of vacation time. Having only been to one MOA rally, I can say that if I had more time, I'd be there regardless of where it is held.

SNC1923

I Probably Can't Go

I've been to dozens of local-ish rallies, but West Bend was my first national.

I volunteered, met friends, did a bit of riding, ate great food, partied, and just generally had a blast. I would go to next year's rally if it were in hell.

The folks planning this (and past rallies) are trying to please thousands of people which, as Friedle points out, is a thankless enterprise. At least until you get to the rally and see so many smiling faces walking around and greeting old friends that they've never met.

I have family coming from Australia next summer, and their visit will almost certainly coincide with the rally dates. I'm severely bummed, especially with the rally being so near. Our last nearby rally was Washington.

For those that think there's a vast NorthEast rally conspiracy, check out How We Choose a Rally Site to see that it's all on the up and up.

'99 '03 '06 National Co-Rally Chair Friedle's Avatar

Gillette

Quote Originally Posted by Newstar View Post
    First off, I'd like to say a big THANK YOU to Friedle for volunteering your time to plan the upcoming rally. As a former chairperson for a major local event, I know first hand that you will have plenty of critics and nay-sayers. Unfortunately, it's it too few who take the time to say thanks for your efforts.

To those critics and nay-sayers, what have you done to assist in this process? I'm sure there is plenty of room for more volunteers so jump in and get involved!

We all have a choice - attend the rally, or don't. Whether it's for the roads to ride on or the opportunity to be amongst friends, we all have our reasons for wanting to be there. If it's about the journey, just pick another route or another rally.

Unfortunately I will not be there. Not because of the location but a lack of vacation time. Having only been to one MOA rally, I can say that if I had more time, I'd be there regardless of where it is held.
    Let me be clear that I am not planning the Gillette Rally. The Rally chairs for this year are Deb Lower and Karol Patzer. I am a current Board of Directors member and have planned three past Nationals; might be making plans for another in the future; helping develop plans for other MOA marketing events; planning local rallies for MOA chartered clubs; all of which keeps me busy enough. I am making suggestions and contacts/contracts for killer entertainment for Gillette, but the final say on who will ultimately perform there resides with the Rally Chairs, not me.

If you're not in Gillette for the National Rally, you will miss the party and maybe even miss seeing some friends who will be there. Of course, there is always next year and attendence is not mandatory, nor taken, like middle school homeroom.

Friedle
    Ride fast safely

Rally Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by Friedle View Post
    Let me be clear that I am not planning the Gillette Rally. The Rally chairs for this year are Deb Lower and Karol Patzer. I am a current Board of Directors member and have planned three past Nationals; might be making plans for another in the future; helping develop plans for other MOA marketing events; planning local rallies for MOA chartered clubs; all of which keeps me busy enough. I am making suggestions and contacts/contracts for killer entertainment for Gillette, but the final say on who will ultimately perform there resides with the Rally Chairs, not me.

If you're not in Gillette for the National Rally, you will miss the party and maybe even miss seeing some friends who will be there. Of course, there is always next year and attendence is not mandatory, nor taken, like middle school homeroom.

Friedle
    Let me guess...you planned the guys in lederhosen and the polka band at West Bend. I have to admit, after several beers, even the 70 year old lead singer was looking good.

Two points to add to FriedleÔÇÖs list.
    1. If a site meets the requirements the next question is it available at the desired time?

2. If the site meets the requirements does it want to bid to host the event? Not every community wants to host any kind of motorcycle rally even if it is capable of meeting all of the requirements and the space is open.
    Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

St. Paul Pioneer Press , Minneapolis Star Tribune

Rally Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by M1ka View Post
    Two points to add to Friedle’s list.
    1. If a site meets the requirements the next question is it available at the desired time?

2. If the site meets the requirements does it want to bid to host the event? Not every community wants to host any kind of motorcycle rally even if it is capable of meeting all of the requirements and the space is open.
    Now this is blinding flash of the obvious! There are plenty of locations that would love to host a rally with folks meeting the demographics of MOA. We need to get away from selecting sites that nobody else wants and go to places our members always wanted to see. Example....one of my favorite towns.. Jasper, Alberta - located on the north end of the Ice fields. Then again...going north to Canada may detour vendors. We can't have that. How about Moab, Utah? How about Kalispell or Whitefish, MT? How about Jackson Hole? Our members have limited vacation time. Maybe if we provided a location they want to see, more than 25% will attend.
    Last edited by kenk; 10-23-2007 at 12:09 PM.