Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Photo Assignment: Weekend 10/13/07

Falling Leaf Rally

This group had just come together, obviously old friends.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bob Rippy
    IBA #451
    Tour of Honor Missouri State Sponsor
    14 R1200RT (currently parked) 07 R1200RT

What better group dynamic than BMW riders reuniting!

I can feel the energy.

Great shot!

Voni
    sMiling
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million BMW sMiles

Here is one of my contributions:

Ben Ricci

Rides & Drives: '07 BMW F800ST Low, '07 Porsche Cayman, '06 VW Jetta TDI & '05 BMW R1200ST

Number two:

Ben Ricci

Rides & Drives: '07 BMW F800ST Low, '07 Porsche Cayman, '06 VW Jetta TDI & '05 BMW R1200ST

Number three (could have been my "Blue" subject, too ):

Ben Ricci

@ the Big Muddy & I-80 bluestune's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SNC1923 View Post
    I realize BeerTeam's question is not posed to me. It did pop up while I was cogitating on the very same question, though. . . .

Am I way out, or are both the six-pack and the camera moving? Camera on a tray? Maybe you don't want to tell us. I know, genius is a selfish mistress.

I just wanted to weigh in with a well-deserved, "cool shot."
    Thanks, I wanted to generate some questions as to how I made this, so thanks for asking.

Tom, your guess is almost right on as to how I made the shot. I used a 1X6X10 inch plank for the six pack to rest on, then clamped a camera mount to the board, attached the camera and composed the beverages leaving room for the bike while I still had the "rig" on my workbench. Then, I picked up the whole rig, walked over to the bike and just shot several frames moving the rig and camera with the bike stationary in the background. I also used a work light to light everything. The whole setup took about 5 minutes. Oh yeah, I used a point and shoot Canon SD850 set to macro setting, the exposure was about one quarter of a second and aperture was around 5.6, I'll have to look in the metadata for exact specs.

I'm really enjoying the "themes" that are being tossed out at us, Thanks Tom.
    Last edited by bluestune; 10-15-2007 at 10:11 PM. Reason: spellen...
    1976 R90/6

Stephen Burns - 2007 R1200GS
    BMW MOA Lifetime Member
    www.burnsmoto.com

rocketman
    Quote Originally Posted by bricciphoto View Post
    Here is one of my contributions:

ha Ha! Let me guess Mortons Octoberfest?

RM

SNC1923
    Quote Originally Posted by bluestune View Post
    Thanks, I wanted to generate some questions as to how I made this, so thanks for asking.

Tom, your guess is almost right on as to how I made the shot. I used a 1X6X10 inch plank for the six pack to rest on, then clamped a camera mount to the board, attached the camera and composed the beverages leaving room for the bike while I still had the "rig" on my workbench. Then, I picked up the whole rig, walked over to the bike and just shot several frames moving the rig and camera with the bike stationary in the background. I also used a worklight to light up everything. The whole setup took about 5 minutes. Oh yeah, I used a point and shoot Canon SD850 set to macro setting, the exposure was about one quarter of a second and apature was around 5.6, I'll have to look in the metadata for exact specs.

I'm really enjoying the "themes" that are being tossed out at us, Thanks Tom.
    Thanks for sharing your technique with us. You are a clever and inventive photographer, which is why, I suspect, unlike the rest of us, you actually get paid for it!

Ain't the "Photo Assignment" threads fun?

Quote Originally Posted by rocketman View Post
    ha Ha! Let me guess Mortons Octoberfest?

RM
    Yes. It's Officer Pecka and a few interested spectators.
    Ben Ricci

From the Falling Leaf rally (resized only):

That's a rainbow over the crowd.

John A. Brown - Kalamazoo MI
    '09 K1300S 'Zoot' (Wicked, bad, naughty, evil, Zoot!)
    '94 K1100LT 'Desert' (the horse with no name)

Halifax and Larry's River, Nova Scotia, Canada

...Caution: Digital Virgin Content

... I spent the past week working on an old house and that did not give a lot of time to get really creative with my very new and capable Nikon. Lots to learn. Anyway, unable to venture out too far I looked around. Lots of beauty in this remote little place called Larrys River. Lots of blue.... but I missed that weekend. Now... Group Dynamic.

What I really wanted was a seagull feeding frenzy up in the blueberry field. Food thrown..... I position myself in bushes and ready for some grand shots. Smart birds these gulls. Circling overhead they waited for me to leave. They won and I went back to working on the house.

New ideas: first is my makeshift workbench in a future bedroom. Not looking too dynamic at the moment but it is a bustle of activity for most of the day.

Then, as I made the bed in the morning, I thought quilt. Pieces brought together in a purposeful and dynamically resourceful way which is a beautiful example of form and function. Note the BMW content in the center.

And last, again not me at my most creative, is a shot taken while in barley therapy one evening. After working all day with the electrician I thought that maybe I can capture a bit of the dynamic interlacing and subsequent networking that eminates from the systems heart: The Breaker Box. Darn thing is dynamic when it works well and vividly dynamic when things get mixed up.

Even if no product is forthcoming, the exercise really nudges one to see their world in a more interesting and thoughful way. Complacency sneaks up on you with silent ease. -Bob
    Last edited by tourunigo; 10-16-2007 at 01:12 AM. Reason: typo
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com
    Salty Fog Riders Motorcycle Tourism Promotions
    Larry's River, Nova Scotia, CANADA

REBECCAV
    A few shots from Mortons BMW dealer Octoberfest in northern VA
    Hey RM - I rode by Morton's on Saturday! I wish that I could have stopped.

I like this picture a lot though even though I don't feel like it is visually particularly strong or interesting. I was riding a competitive rally in VA over the weekend and to me, this picture of my buddy Mike trying to find a bonus location communicates what competitive rallies can be like.

This particular bonus was the grave of the arm of Stonewall Jackson in a very remote location, and once we got to the location, we had a bit of trouble finding the granite marker designating the grave.

It's an image of a group dynamic for me because I had never ridden a rally with another rider before.

rocketman
    Quote Originally Posted by boxergrrlie View Post
    Hey RM - I rode by Morton's on Saturday! I wish that I could have stopped.

I like this picture a lot though even though I don't feel like it is visually particularly strong or interesting. I was riding a competitive rally in VA over the weekend and to me, this picture of my buddy Mike trying to find a bonus location communicates what competitive rallies can be like.

This particular bonus was the grave of the arm of Stonewall Jackson in a very remote location, and once we got to the location, we had a bit of trouble finding the granite marker designating the grave.

It's an image of a group dynamic for me because I had never ridden a rally with another rider before.

Interesting, I just looked it up, I'll have to go down there, not far from my digs. So did you guys find it? The website roadsideAmerica says you need a pass to get into the site, but I found the road leading to the house on maps.google.

RM

REBECCAV
    Interesting, I just looked it up, I'll have to go down there, not far from my digs. So did you guys find it? The website roadsideAmerica says you need a pass to get into the site, but I found the road leading to the house on maps.google.

RM
    Yes, we found it. If the gate is down you need a pass from the visitor's center, if not you can just go in.

I'd highly recommend a visit - it's a cool spot.