Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 07 r1200s outdated

07 r1200s outdated

so I guess my 1200s is outdated with the HP2 intro.

I hope BMW offers some retrofit kits...I'd like to put radial brakes on my r1200s.
    If you don't wear a helmet when you ride....you probably shouldn't be riding.

mine: 07-r1200s
    hers: 07-monster 695
    Hx of bikes
    1979 Honda 125 SS
    1988 Ninga 900
    1997 Suzuki SV1000S (fastest)
    1997 Kawasaki 600r (racing only)
    2001 Honda F4i
    2002 Daughter
    2003 Ducati 800ss

Quote Originally Posted by larrydk View Post

I hope BMW offers some retrofit kits...I'd like to put radial brakes on my r1200s.
    Seeing as how the HP2 sport will cost about double the price of the "standard" R1200S I don't think your R1200S is at all outdated!
    Ride safe
    /hass

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain
    "Whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong." - Oscar Wilde

Not at all. Place some CF, a belly pan, marginally rework the internals... that's it... at $25K+. The specs are rather ho-hum. 130HP? A nearby friend of mine races the R12S in the MRA Supertwins GTO series, and until the second to last race was in the lead versus Aprilia's, Ducati's etc. He notes an ability to outbrake the competition with stock brakes!!! He's disappointed in the HP2 Sport and believes it's definitely not worth the $25K+ cost... and then sink in more $$$ for an exhaust? My nearby top ten volume dealer has not received any deposits for one, and it is going to be an order-it-if-you-want-it kind of bike. Won't find many/any just sitting on a dealer's floor. Won't see many/any on the road. Small volume, just like the HP2 Enduro.

Would note however bigger news for us R1200S owners is the ceasing of production. End of the line. Who knows if there will be a refresh. In a way OK with this. The rarely seen R12S will be even more rare.

Kool Aid Dispenser! jimvonbaden's Avatar
    I spoke with Nate Kerns about his experiences racing the HP2 Sport, don't underestimate that bike. It has the ability to near 140HP, and comes with Ohlins and a few other extras.

Your bike is only outdated if you absolutely must have the latest and greatest and cost be damed, otherwise you have a great bike and should be very happy with it.

If you always wait for the latest version, you will never buy a bike, and never be happy!

Jim

outdated

And I assume that the HP2 doesn't have the counter-balancer, which the S does?

I wonder how they compare for smoothness?

Rinty

end of production?

What do you mean end of production? Not available in 2008?

I know at the Rally in July, I only saw one other besides mine.

Did I mention I love mine.

Larry
    If you don't wear a helmet when you ride....you probably shouldn't be riding.

mine: 07-r1200s
    hers: 07-monster 695
    Hx of bikes
    1979 Honda 125 SS
    1988 Ninga 900
    1997 Suzuki SV1000S (fastest)
    1997 Kawasaki 600r (racing only)
    2001 Honda F4i
    2002 Daughter
    2003 Ducati 800ss

What do you mean end of production? Not available in 2008?

I know at the Rally in July, I only saw one other besides mine.

Did I mention I love mine.

Larry
    BMW stopped producation because no one is buying them...

dlearl476
    Quote Originally Posted by sfarson View Post
    In a way OK with this. The rarely seen R12S will be even more rare.

+25 years

or

Doing some research on a (supposedly) extremely rare R100S Motorsport has me thinking I should buy a "Boxer Cup" replica and dip it in Boeshield T-9 for a couple of decades.

Not at all. Place some CF, a belly pan, marginally rework the internals... that's it... at $25K+. The specs are rather ho-hum. 130HP? A nearby friend of mine races the R12S in the MRA Supertwins GTO series, and until the second to last race was in the lead versus Aprilia's, Ducati's etc. He notes an ability to outbrake the competition with stock brakes!!! He's disappointed in the HP2 Sport and believes it's definitely not worth the $25K+ cost... and then sink in more $$$ for an exhaust? My nearby top ten volume dealer has not received any deposits for one, and it is going to be an order-it-if-you-want-it kind of bike. Won't find many/any just sitting on a dealer's floor. Won't see many/any on the road. Small volume, just like the HP2 Enduro.

Would note however bigger news for us R1200S owners is the ceasing of production. End of the line. Who knows if there will be a refresh. In a way OK with this. The rarely seen R12S will be even more rare.

Completely different valve actuation, exhaust valve, self supporting tailpiece, self supporting front cowl, MotoGP style instrumentation, cast lightweight wheels. Full CF bodywork.

There's a lot of stuff on that bike that differentiates it from the standard S.

I'd still love to have an S, but alas.

I love my GS too much.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

Like noted, marginal internals/improvements , not making much of a diff to most already astride an R12S, for how they ride the R12S, despite the technical and marketing speak.

If tracking it, sure, more relevance, but as Cycle World noted, 99% of sportbikes never see a track.

Kool Aid Dispenser! jimvonbaden's Avatar
    Like noted, marginal internals/improvements , not making much of a diff to most already astride an R12S, for how they ride the R12S, despite the technical and marketing speak.

If tracking it, sure, more relevance, but as Cycle World noted, 99% of sportbikes never see a track.
    Marginal internal improvements?

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by YELLOW_S View Post
    BMW stopped producation because no one is buying them...

Source?
    I had not heard this.

Quote Originally Posted by JimVonBaden1 View Post
    Marginal internal improvements?

Jim
    From Motorcycle USA...

"According to BMW PR the other internal changes include "the flow-optimized intake and outlet, new forged piston and adapted connecting rod." The end result is a motor which produces a claimed 128 hp and 85 lb-ft of torque - a four horsepower and one lb-ft torque increase over the R1200S."

Quote Originally Posted by Markus View Post
    Source?
    I had not heard this.
    I haven't read or heard from an official source but it seems to be the case. My dealer notes they haven't been able to get one the past six months and during the prime summer season, in an area (Rockies) where the R1200S does fairly well, they didn't have one to sell. Have also read BMW NA isn't importing them anymore. Have also read at a R1200S forum in the UK, it is the end of line.

I haven't read or heard from an official source but it seems to be the case. My dealer notes they haven't been able to get one the past six months and during the prime summer season, in an area (Rockies) where the R1200S does fairly well, they didn't have one to sell. Have also read BMW NA isn't importing them anymore. Have also read at a R1200S forum in the UK, it is the end of line.

Hmmm, interesting. I'll have to look around, b/c the NA availability issue you mention hasn't seemed to have sparked any questions here in SE Texas. (hub of the universe )

(not doubting your word here, by the way)
    Another thing that seems odd (far be it for BMW to do something odd!), there are scads of models that don't sell well, and much worse than the "S".
    For a BMW leadership that is looking for "sportier, younger, faster...cooler", removing their sport model from the line is out of line with that thinking.

And...nothing replaces it. The HP2 is just that...HP.