Thread: Battery Chargers

Battery Chargers

I have an 1150 GS. Since the battery is a pain in the sitting bones to get to, is it possible to hook up a battery charger (Battery Tender) thru the accessory plug? If so, where can I get a plug to make it work? Thanks.

SNOONE
    Battery Tender sells a unit that plugs right in. Most dealerships stock them

Yup. Just plug it right in.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

CustomSarge
    Here's a design we'll never see from a company. Use a modern glass-mat sealed battery & lay it on its' side, top towards bike rear. Easy access to terminals & removal by pulling the seat. Don't know if any stock tank would straddle it. I'll try this on the R11HR when the liquid one dies.

Question Battery Tender alternative?

Anybody have any experience with the Harbor Freight $14.99 'Automatic Battery Float Charger?' Per the catalog description, it appears to function exactly like the well-known brand, but for less than half the price.

http://www.harborfreight.com, item #42292-ORAH

John H.

i just put a new gel battery into my 97rt.....a real gel, not the glass type. the battery tender jr. was the only one i could find around that deffinetly would not over voltage while charging. i plug it into the acces. socket on the dash with the provided adapter.....it also came with hard mounts (6 inch direct mounted terminal leads) and the regular pinch battery leads.

DZIMBRIC

Overcharging Gel Batteries

There is an excellent article in Arpil? BMWMOA. Make sure the charger stays below 14.4 volts.