Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: F650GS oil level???

  1. #1
    Sekiar
    Guest

    F650GS oil level???

    Today in the mail was the keys to my new 2003 F650GS(to me) with only 268 miles. I started the engine and let it warm up. Tried to check the oil by the book. It was past the top of the glass and when I took the oil fil cap off the oil was within an inch of the top of the fill tube.....by the book this is too much oil. The fellow I got the bike from has changed the oil and put in a new battery. Did he put too much oil in? And if so should I remove enough to just cover the top of the oil window? Just hate to run it like it is if too much oil would harm the engine. Charles

  2. #2
    zbeemer
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sekiar View Post
    Today in the mail was the keys to my new 2003 F650GS(to me) with only 268 miles. I started the engine and let it warm up. Tried to check the oil by the book. It was past the top of the glass and when I took the oil fil cap off the oil was within an inch of the top of the fill tube.....by the book this is too much oil. The fellow I got the bike from has changed the oil and put in a new battery. Did he put too much oil in? And if so should I remove enough to just cover the top of the oil window? Just hate to run it like it is if too much oil would harm the engine. Charles
    I was told by the BMW mechanic in my area that the single most concern with the f650 is having too much oil in the sump. Its common due to the complex way to read it. If you have a manual read the oil check and follow it to a "T". I was told too much oil is harmful to your engine.
    MC

  3. #3
    dlearl476
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by zbeemster View Post
    If you have a manual read the oil check and follow it to a "T".
    MC
    That's partially correct. Just keep in mind "operating temperature" means HOT, not warmed up, not luke warm, NOT as some manuals state "let the engine idle until the fan comes on, turn the bike off and wait one minute, then check the oil."
    Anything but HOT will get you overfilled.

    And yes, it sounds like you've got too much oil. Use a turkey baster of something to get it out, or just drain the tank and start over.

  4. #4
    zbeemer
    Guest

    excellent advise

    Quote Originally Posted by dlearl476 View Post
    That's partially correct. Just keep in mind "operating temperature" means HOT, not warmed up, not luke warm, NOT as some manuals state "let the engine idle until the fan comes on, turn the bike off and wait one minute, then check the oil."
    Anything but HOT will get you overfilled.

    And yes, it sounds like you've got too much oil. Use a turkey baster of something to get it out, or just drain the tank and start over.
    exactly what my manual reads.

  5. #5
    Sekiar
    Guest

    Thanks!!

    Yep, it was over filled. Took out about 2/3 pint and with engine up to temp oil level is just at the top of the view glass. Now I wish they would have made the coolant window a wee bit easier to see for tired old eyes. I'm headed out to take off enough plastic to see the coolent level. Oh, did take a short maiden ride down and up the drive...weee a fun bike for sure. Cheers, Charles happy with new toy!!

  6. #6
    Registered User gcutter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Posts
    61
    Since it was overfilled, you may want to remove the right side cover, then disconnect/remove the air filter snorkle to check and see if the filter is covered in oil and if there's oil in the air box. I'll bet there is and you should clean it out; get a new filter if it's soaked too. All the the f650.com faqs.
    Cheers, Greg
    Greg ('02 F650 GS; '06 K1200GT); Lynda ('07 R1200RT, '04 Burgman 650)
    Norfolk, VA
    Our Pictures Web Site

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •