Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: bike train?

I have a vague recollection (all my recollections are vague these days) that Bob's BMW put together a train ride/ship to one of the western rallys some years ago.

John

Rev Willie?

Quote Originally Posted by bobs98 View Post
    Calling previous conductor with experience....
    Yes, that would be me. I was the Head Conductor of the 2001 RallyTrain. It ran from Washington,DC to Chicago, and from Chicago to Portland,OR and back to Chicago and DC. It was a 3-day run each way, but we had our bikes strapped onto freight pallets in Express Freight cars behind our own coach car while we looked out huge windows watching the countryside pass by. We had food and drink supplies stashed in the coach and it resembled a rolling beer tent generally for three days each way. We left DC on Sunday, arrived/departed Chicago on Monday, and arrived Wednesday AM in Portland. The return train departed Wednesday afternoon, a week later. Lots of miles driven by rested riders.
    The cost was a little over $1000 for round trip coach for the rider and round trip shipping for the bike. The Chicago station was a pain in the @#@ $, but the Portland station and the DC loading docks were a pleasure to work with. My fuzzy memory thinks about 64 or so folks went on the RallyTrain,and from my conversations with many of them at MOA Nationals later on, nearly all of the riders on the RallyTrain would do it again.

Unfortunately, AMTRAK has discontinued using Express Freight cars and has refused all requests for another RallyTrain. They shut down the trains to Sturgis, Daytona, and Laconia for the HD riders and those were large trains. We enlisted some powerful Senators to question AMTRAK and request that they would offer the RallyTrain again, but they refused. Check out the link mentioned in a earlier posting on this string about the train, or find my story in BMWON that was published a few years ago. Lots of dead ends and frustraitions, but I would do it again to Gillette if AMTRAK would do it again.

Rev. Willie
    Onward, through the fog!

Time vs money

There is a conundrum in life that says "If you don't have time you have money and if you have money you don't have time". Therefore I assume that you guys must have money. The solution to the time problem is the solution that the Stugis gang uses, Truck the bike to Rapid City and then fly into Rapid City in your private or chartered jet. Those that have done the Sturgis know that it is done that way. My little bit of research says trucking on a pallet from the east coast will be $6-800 by a dedicated cycle hauler. If you had a full load it probably could be less. The flight would be another problem but 20 bikes could be 30 people and that might get you a charter plane or for the po-folk a bus.

RC is 150 miles from Gillette. That would be a nice morning ride and I would never tell. I will be in RC any way. Harold "It wasn't my Idea" Short

Quote Originally Posted by Rev.Willie View Post
    Lots of dead ends and frustraitions, but I would do it again to Gillette if AMTRAK would do it again.

Rev. Willie
    Don't know anything about these guys, but they list shipping M/C and tours. I've seen some companies at the IMS shows that will take groups of bikes, but don't personally know anything about them.

If someone is inclined to check them out....here's one that transports H-Ds
    http://www.rigsandrides.com/tours.htm

Here's one more: http://www.haulbikes.com/images/at_a_glance4.jpg

Just some thoughts if you don't have time to ride, someone may be able to arrange from an eastern major city to Rapid City. Riders would be on their own to arrange transportation to and from their bike.
    Not as much fun as a "rally train", but an option.
    Ride Hard, go far, and keep smilin...

Karol Patzer, Ambassador, 2014 BMW MOA Rally Chair
    Visit St. Paul July 24-27, 2014

I am just going to wait until the rally comes back east to attend.
    USN Retired
    '02 R1150 RT

Quote Originally Posted by ltljohn View Post
    I am just going to wait until the rally comes back east to attend.
    You could always.................................ride! Did I see "retired" in your sig line?
    Ride Hard, go far, and keep smilin...

Karol Patzer, Ambassador, 2014 BMW MOA Rally Chair
    Visit St. Paul July 24-27, 2014

sled guy

Question guess the "bike train" idea is out .

Anyone want to double up with me to drive from the east coast, (western NY vicinity) with a double bike trailer to share expenses?
    I have a new pickup that pulls a trailer nicely and we could pull the bikes to maybe Sioux Falls SD. and ride from there to the rally.
    May need to rent a trailer and locate a hotel to leave the truck at.
    I have approx 10 days to be away and am not interested in superslabbing all the way through Ohio etc. and won't have the time to see the sights along the way.
    PM me if you're interested.
    Bob