Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Key Largo, Prudhoe and Westfest

Fl Keys Fishing Guide RIDERR1150GSADV's Avatar

Talking Key Largo, Prudhoe Bay and Westfest

July 18th

Since it was only 177 miles to Paonia CO, I decided to change the oil at Grand Junction BMW.
    These guys are great as they let me do the whole thing myself. All I needed was an oilpan.
    They couldn't give me tools, but I had enough to start a shop . I guess that the lawyers got to them too with their liability BS

Anyway, I bought fresh fluids from them for the engine, tranny and FD. The new fluids made me and the bike happy. The FD fluid was good as I had changed that on the road one extra time anyway to keep an eye on things....
    After this interlude I rode to Paonia bought a bottle of rum!! ( I don't drink when riding) and pitched the tent for the next 4 days.
    Seeing familiar faces all over, this is the rally I like a lot.
    Didn't ride at all for the next 4 days, as at this time I had ridden 12K miles and I needed a mental and physical break.
    This trip was becoming work

Tents popping up like mushrooms...

There were good bands playing this weekend and I have some pics of the best one...

Did I mention I like this rally????

July 19, 20 and 21

As I said before I didn't ride these couple a days but did some maintenance on my bike.
    I started by sleeping in and that was welcome as the adult beverage purchased the previous day did its job... No headache or anything like that, just a deep sleep...
    Anywhoo. I got up and decided the check the valves on my bike as an AM project....
    This turned into an event as there are always folks around wanting to learn a new trick or two. I ended up with about 5-6 onlookers who all wrench them selfs, but out of curiosity just wander over , and add their own opinions to the whole show. Y'all know those cracks from the peanut gallery
    It is really cool to attend rallies for this reason, because you can always learn a thing or two. I did the job and the proof of doing it right is starting the bike up.
    Well I did, and my bike purred like a happy kitten.
    This whole 'event' resulted in one gentleman asking me if I could look at his bike as it was noisier than mine.
    I did that a day or so later and his adjustments were.... let's say a bit tighter than I would have set them.
    Actually he had feeler gages that looked like pretzels....
    No folks, I don't mention names here out of respect and keeping the peace.
    The party continued with everyone having a great time..

Some friends on the dance floor.

Still more on the way....

July 22nd

Today was going to be a short ride as it was only 77 miles to Gunnison. I took the West Elk Loop and it was just a nice easy day.
    The following photos are all from the West Elk Loop.

That day I pitched the tent at the Gunnison KOA as this is a very nice place to stay for a day or two.
    At this point in my trip I decided to attend West Fest rather than ride around again in an area I spent 2 weeks in last summer. Not that that would be bad but new territory is what a trip is all about too and who knows what characters I was about to meet there..
    I stayed two nights as I really wanted to go to Tincup and do the Alpine Tunnel road as last year I got rained,snowed and sleeted on and had few pics to show for it.

More to come...

July 23

Today I hopped on the bike to Tincup, Alpine Road and surrounding area.
    A leasurely 112 mile loop.

Alpine Tunnel Road.

Alpine Tunnel Road with view into valley below

Rubble on Alpine..A very tough winter made the road rougher than last year.

Marmots on the road

Views..

Alpine Tunnel restored building

The collapsed tunnel entrance.

The wall.

The road above the wall.

Cumberland Pass toward Tincup.

Views from Cumberland Pass.

The road into town.

Taylor Lake.

Stitch job by a friend....

Like I said it was a day of pictures and easy riding...

More coming up...

July 24

Early in the morning I awoke to gnawing sounds behind my tent and it was a beaver busy at work. I never saw the critter as he dove in the water every time we aimed a light in it's direction... My neighbors being the other part of 'we' , trying to see nature at work.
    It was really neat but I wish I had seen it. There are so many of them around as is evident by all the creeks being "under construction".
    Anyway today I was off to Durango on the CO 550 or million $$ Hwy.
    I had been here before in 2004 but had forgotten how nice it really is past Ouray toward Silverton. It is one of those 'oh my God' roads that permeate the West.
    In Silverton I had lunch ($10 ,= burger )and rode on under the threat of thunder and lightning, toward Durango.
    I picked a campground in Durango that also had the narrow gauge RR running right behind my tent. I didn't know about the 'choo choo' , untill I rode over the tracks and heard a whistle blowing.
    Some pic's

I just spent one night here and the next day I took off for Sipapu

More to come.....

Great ride, and great report!

I'm jealous of your GS special edition paint job--it's the best looking Adventure out there!
    Timba
    "You will never find time for anything. If you want time, you must make it."
    ~ Charles Buxton
    TnA's travels

Traveler1
    Thanks for sharing this great ride report. One of the better ones I've seen. Great photos and text.
    Thor Anderson
    Marin County
    K1200GT
    R100GS

Thanks guys!!!

July 25,26 etc....

After a rainy and windy night through which I slept like a baby , I got up and packed a dry tent as only the wind had remained.
    The road to Sipapu was amazing with the CO 160 being nice, the 84 beautiful and the 518 very cool.
    Taos was like Key West with a busy main street filled with tourists. The difference being the adobe structures.
    Not my cuppa tea but it has it's own character. (Small explanation here for those who don't know me; I live in a tourist area and despise the fact that the character of a small town changes to the point of becoming a gaudy tourist trap. It is NOT what most locals want, but is forced upon us by big corporate investors who understand nothing of an area they want to "develop")

Deciding not to ride after getting into Sipapu, as I still needed to get home some 2K miles away, proved to be wise as a few unfortunate attendees found out the hard way....
    I had thus far not dropped the bike and didn't want to press my luck.
    So finally I was going to meet the faces behind the anonymous handles on the ADVrider .com board.
    I wasn't disappointed. The camaraderie was amazing and uplifting to witness.
    Anyone that needed help was selflessly taken care off by whoever was nearby. It seems to be a theme at all rallies I have been too.
    One disappointing thing about West Fest is that it is too short!!!
    Well here are some of the pics....

Early arrivals....

My own set up. I didn't budge the bike as I decided to hang out for a few days.

My new buddies Scott on the left and Frank on the right.

GSDave's clone copy of my GSAdv

The most photographed birds in NM

Food!! Excellent food was cooked all weekend! I gained weight

Augie, Scott and Frank saluting in the appropriate ADV way..

Getting busier

Repair after a ride in the mountains...

Trying to help this fellow rider out on the way home. His bike was beyond roadside help....He took it well....

In the end I rode 14500 miles in 5 1/2 weeks and had an absolute blast.
    Will I do this again?? Alaska probably not. I don't regret one single mile ridden, but the lower 48 have so, much to offer that riding that kind of distance is not really needed to meet cool people and see beautiful scenery.
    The more I travel, the more I realize that people are basically the same everywhere. We all want friends, family and happiness and we all need the same basics of life. What we do for other people is what defines our lives and makes us human. People will never be remembered for how much material possessions they owned in life, but for what they did for others. Travel, IMHO, brings the best out of people.

Thanks for reading.
    Last edited by riderR1150GSAdv; 09-10-2007 at 10:51 PM.

Prudhoe and back

Goed gedaan hoor!

Rinty

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by rinty View Post
    Goed gedaan hoor!

Rinty
    Hartelijk bedankt!!!

Along for the ride...

Great ride report, Oskar! Thanks for bringing us along for the big adventure. I was actually out in Colorado on my way to Lake Tahoe during some of the same days as you. Probably passed each other on some of the spectacular twisties. Are you going to the Winter Rally again this year? Hope to see you there and hear some more stories about the trip. Cheers.

Mike
    2009 R1200R (Commuting)
    2008 R1200GSA (Touring)
    2009 R1200GS (Mountains)

Thanks for sharing a great report of an awesome trip!!
    Joe Dilts
    1995 R1100R, Mystic Red

Talking

Thanks for reading guys!!

If possible I will go to the Winter-rally as that is a nice rally too, and hopefully it will be cooler to ride in. At the moment I am not liking the weather we have....

Dixie, the land of cotton espressoforyou's Avatar

I am Heading toward Key West 12-29-07

Any suggestions for a interesting ride in Florida. I am leaving Memphis on 12-29-07 and heading south for warm weather using Key West as a target.

What would be fun route riding a r1200gs? Interesting places to stay? Things to do: Everglades tour........

Thanks Randy

"...The more I travel, the more I realize that people are basically the same everywhere. We all want friends, family and happiness and we all need the same basics of life. What we do for other people is what defines our lives and makes us human. People will never be remembered for how much material possessions they owned in life, but for what they did for others. Travel, IMHO, brings the best out of people. "

Your final thoughts are interesting. Your insight is something that comes with interaction with good people.
    Thank you for an entertaining report.
    Tim
    1997 K1100 LT
    " If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there." And that is OK with me