Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Choosing Electrics

Originally posted by BradfordBenn
    Being able to ride in colder weather... Priceless

BG is definitely an expert. After this robust panel came up with the same recommendations as the IBMWR List today during lunch I went and picked up the jacket, thermostat, accessory plug and tax, out the door at $290.

Tried it on and the heat in the jacket is Holy Cats good. Nice even, fast, hot, fast, hot,,,, got thermostat.

Assuming the rain stops, riding tomorrow.
    Rain? we don't care about no stinnnkin' rain!

Congrats on the gerbing. Excellent choice. What? You want to adopt me as your new little brother? ok. I'll take a Gerbing liner in medium.

REBECCAV
    Being able to ride in colder weather... Priceless
    You GO Brad! Don't you let ol' mother nature get you down.

You, or your bike. Seriously, Brad, watch out for the ice!

Slowpoke & Proud of It! BRADFORDBENN's Avatar

DOHP!

31 Degrees and drizzle.

Mother Nature 1, Electrics 0.

I think it is a day to not ride when you can see from inside that the entire street is glimmering with ice, not just patches.
    -=Brad

It isn't what you ride, it is if you ride

Heh. I forgot to add that I saw, I think at IBMWR's tech articles, that somebody has posted a very thorough treatise on how to electrify any garment. He even included a formula for determining how much wire to use for how much heat vs. electric consumption. That BMW even heat thingee sounds like a real quantum leap too, but knowing BMW I'm sure it's about half the price of a new RT.
    I'm also still cooking ideas in my head for the opposite: an active-cooled jacket for climes like we see down here in TexSux in the summertime. Gets to be a real armpit!
    2012 R1200GS

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad

The BMW vest MSRP is $260, but I got mine at a dealer closing for $180.
    --Darryl Richman, forum liaison
    http://darryl.crafty-fox.com

I picked up the "older style" BMW heated vest from their trailer at a motorcycle show in St. Louis a few years ago. With its heated collar and decent heat output, it adds substantially to the riding season on both sides of a full-blown winter (I chicken out and park it when there's ice on the roads). My only problem with the vest was when the cord detached at the vest and I dragged it down the freeway far enough that the inline switch literally "disappeared". The dealer wanted a small fortune for a replacement cable, so it was off to Radio Shack. I mounted an illuminated automotive switch in a very small box and soldered it inline with the cable. I expanded the pins on the vest and haven't had any repeat problems with it coming unplugged. Electrics are a great counter to folks that think comfort is just a fad.
    Bruce F
    '86 R65, '96 R1100RS, '04 K1200RS - SOLD
    '13 K1300S 30th Anniversary
    The most notable thing you can leave for posterity is your name...signed Anonymous

Slowpoke & Proud of It! BRADFORDBENN's Avatar

Unhappy Dohp! Part Duh!

31 Degrees and drizzle.

Mother Nature 1, Electrics 0.

I think it is a day to not ride when you can see from inside that the entire street is glimmering with ice, not just patches.
    Okay so the rain and ice stopped. However not the score is:

Mother Nature 1, Ohm's Law 1, Electrics 0.

I will also post this in the Oilhead Tech Forum cause I figure I am not the first one to hit this little problem...

The Gerbing directions say:

ÔÇ£The accessory plug on BMW bikes is strong enough to power Gerbing's heated clothing. We sell a modified BMW plug that replaces the battery harness for your connection to your bike's electrical system. This modified plug connects to the BMW accessory plug-in on one side and Gerbing's thermostat or on/off switch on the other side.ÔÇØ
    Today the snow and rain stopped enough to go for a ride. I read the directions on the ÔÇ£Portable Temp-ControllerÔÇØ and followed the instruction to have engine running when connecting. Went for a ride around the neighborhood and noticed I was not getting warm. The LED was not blinking on the controller. I went back home and checked the fuse for the accesory socket as the GPS had also lost power. The accesory socket fuse had blown, it is rated for 4Amps. I figured maybe I had done something wrong, and replaced it once again following the directions. Go for a test ride again and still no heat. After doing some troubleshooting, I determined that the root case is OhmÔÇÖs Law.

OhmÔÇÖs Law states that Power (or Watts) divided by Electromagnetic Force (Volts) = Intensity (Amps). I did the math with 77W and 12V and it indicates that the fuse must be rated at approximately 6.5Amps or more than 50% larger. I checked my ownerÔÇÖs manual for my R1150RT and it does indicate that the accesory socket has a 4Amp fuse.

So at the moment I am still cold. However the legs were nice and warm with the HyperTex Overpants.

But the BMW vest is 70W which would also cause the 4Amp fuse to blow... things that make me go hmmm.
    -=Brad

It isn't what you ride, it is if you ride

My r11rt (2000) came with a 15Amp fuse installed from the factory.

Bernie.