Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: USA Today Features Gillette, WY

Unhappy USA Today Features Gillette, WY

Well, for the second year in a row, the cryptosporidian virus has infected the water in Gillette, WY, affecting primarily public pools, according to today's issue of USA TODAY.

When we all get there next year, bottled water and motel showers (not pools) would be the order of the day.

Combined with lack of shade, high (and limited) motel rates, and great distances before there is something besides open prairie (Black Hills, Devil's Head, Custer Memorial, Mt. Rushmore, etc.), it will certainly be a challenge to rival previous rallies.

Here's hoping the plus's will outnumber all minus's.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenwald View Post
    Well, for the second year in a row, the cryptosporidian virus has infected the water in Gillette, WY, affecting primarily public pools, according to today's issue of USA TODAY.

When we all get there next year, bottled water and motel showers (not pools) would be the order of the day.

Combined with lack of shade, high (and limited) motel rates, and great distances before there is something besides open prairie (Black Hills, Devil's Head, Custer Memorial, Mt. Rushmore, etc.), it will certainly be a challenge to rival previous rallies.

Here's hoping the plus's will outnumber all minus's.
    You're a veritable fountain of positivity, aintcha?
    scott conary - BMW... err...umm... bikes are dangerous
    portland, oregon
    www.scottconary.com | new paintings

HODAG
    I have uncovered a giant cover up by the MOA power brokers in regards to the West Bend rally...

"According to a report by the Wisconsin Department of Natural resources, 11 Sheboygan County beaches were closed to swimming in a seven-week period this summer and another 25 advisories were posted for people to exercise caution while swimming. "

Why didn't someone from Sheboygan inform rally goers of this????

insert a giggling smilie

Quote Originally Posted by knary View Post
    Ya took the words outta my mouth Scot
    Nose

Paint it black whydontcha

Quote Originally Posted by knary View Post
    Somebody from the Minnesota MOA branch thanked me for going there to check out the place and the riding, and that my preview had quelled any fears that Gillette was not a good site, and my response was well it won't last; somebody else with a goal of screwing up rally attendence would come along and mess it up for everybody...and guess what, HERE THEY ARE!

FYI for all of you...I drank the water, swam in the pool and came home WITHOUT GETTING AT ALL SICK. What I did get was hospitable dining, a huge welcome from the locals from the complex, and fantastic riding anywhere I went. I had a blast, and didn't want to leave.

1/2 day on the road before coming there, I rode 1000 plus miles throughout Colorado, and wished I would of had more time to ride another 1000 miles right there, as well as the Black Hills.

I think what I am reading in this post is pure blowing alarmist smoke. Hows the lake water in Sheboygan, anyway? Never had to close a beach?

Red
    Last edited by redclfco; 08-21-2007 at 09:04 PM.

Tuesday, August 21
    Gillette - Eighteen cases of the diarrhea-causing parasite cryptosporidium have been documented since mid-July among visitors to the Gillette city and Campbell County pools, the state surveillance epidemiologist said. Officials said inspections revealed no improper maintenance at the two pools. Last summer, at least 19 people were diagnosed with the parasite in Campbell and Crook counties

Some how I don't get the same alarmist response when I read the article instead of your spin of it.
    Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

St. Paul Pioneer Press , Minneapolis Star Tribune

Not available in stores.. PAGoldsby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by M1ka View Post
    Some how I don't get the same alarmist response when I read the article instead of your spin of it.
    Because you're not making the obvious link between kids crapping in public pools and motorcycle rallies.

C'mon, man, get onboard the Gillette h8-train!

I can't believe how incredulous I am.

Quote Originally Posted by PAGoldsby View Post
    Because you're not making the obvious link between kids crapping in public pools and motorcycle rallies.

C'mon, man, get onboard the Gillette h8-train!

Help me out here, I'm from Minnesota.

A kid craps in a pool like kids crap in pools from here to Sheboygan. Other kids drink the pool water. Kids get sick.

The press warns the public, the pool boy adds more clorine sticks and shocks the hell out of the pool two days in a row Clorine level runs off the charts.... All is well.

Next week. it starts again kid craps in the pool. Other kids get sick......

PAGoldsby were you being facisious, or do you see somthing here that makes no sense?

Hell I don't know whos supporting this "theory" or who's being cute. There is no connection

Red

Not available in stores.. PAGoldsby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by redclfco View Post
    There is no connection

Red
    I was being sarcastic. It seems to me that there is a vein of MOA members that have decided that Gillette = teh suck, and will go to great lengths to denigrate the selection.

If there is any connection, it's that the haters are the ones trying to crap in the pool.
    I can't believe how incredulous I am.

Who cares about a little cryptosporidium when the real danger in Gillette is from the Yellowstone Supervolcano!

Talk about the danger of fallout!

Don't tell me the kids crapped in the pool on purpose??
    Last edited by jgr451; 08-21-2007 at 10:07 PM. Reason: spelling
    Sometimes,nothing is a real cool hand.

Or how about a asteroid from outter space? Were on bikes here...where would we hide? Maybe in the pools...thats it, the pools!

Thanks for straigtening that out! It's karma you know? I was the first to heckle with my coyote butt post, so now it's up to me to defend my old homeland!

Wyoming and Coloraado you know are like sisters. Ones flashy with glitter and every dog in the county wants to mount her. WYO is like her sister, the quiet one with her hair pulled back...look a little closer, she's the one who can suck the cork out of the wine bottle and overhaul your bike while your asleep in her bed! Watch oyut Wyoming! I'm telling all your good stuff!

Red

Cool "Me Thinks You Doth Protest Too Much"

Gee. The USA TODAY must have gotten it wrong, huh?! You know, a great many contributors to this Forum found fault with Gillette, and somehow, if you dress up my grandmother in a string bikini and smother her with Clinique perfume, she still looks like an old lady with wrinkles.

If Gillette has problems, let's all put our heads in the sand?

As for good 'ol Sheboygan, our beaches stink (littered with dead alewives), people here motor around like they all got a D- in Driver's Ed., and there is little to see or do.

But wait - Sheboygan wasn't ever a Rally Site, now was it. Now who is spinning.

Your analogies are stretched to the breaking point, and the excuse of making Gillette sound great because of certain routes to it is also wearing thin. Let's make Tiajuana our next Rally Site because of scenic roads within a couple of hundred miles? Please.

I'll give Gillette a visit, but......oh wait. Someone is slapping a "GILLETTE: LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT" bumper sticker on my truck. Gotta go!

Quote Originally Posted by Greenwald View Post
    Gee. The USA TODAY must have gotten it wrong, huh?! You know, a great many contributors to this Forum found fault with Gillette, and somehow, if you dress up my grandmother in a string bikini and smother her with Clinique perfume, she still looks like an old lady with wrinkles.

If Gillette has problems, let's all put our heads in the sand?

As for good 'ol Sheboygan, our beaches stink (littered with dead alewives), people here motor around like they all got a D- in Driver's Ed., and there is little to see or do.

But wait - Sheboygan wasn't ever a Rally Site, now was it. Now who is spinning.

Your analogies are stretched to the breaking point, and the excuse of making Gillette sound great because of certain routes to it is also wearing thin. Let's make Tiajuana our next Rally Site because of scenic roads within a couple of hundred miles? Please.

I'll give Gillette a visit, but......oh wait. Someone is slapping a "GILLETTE: LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT" bumper sticker on my truck. Gotta go!
    Because we don't choose to moan and groan about what's probably going to be a great rally, we're putting our heads in the sand?

I'll give you a little advice: if you do go to the rally, I suggest that you avoid Camp Beers and pretty much everyone. We'll make you laugh and smile and have a good time - something you apparently don't want.
    scott conary - BMW... err...umm... bikes are dangerous
    portland, oregon
    www.scottconary.com | new paintings

No, USA Today did not get it wrong. Gillette had a problem and it was addressed, and yes it did happen the year before. What does that have to do with next year? A year ahead of time it tells me that the community pays attention and takes action.

What does this article have to do with the need to shower in the motel? Do you use public pools to bath in?

What does this article have to do with the public water system? Do you have specific recommendations for bottle water that is not just re-filtered city water?

Gillette, love it or leave, certainly not. I am just curious why you go out of your way to dump on it?