Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Oops... Oil Mistake!

Question Oops... Oil Mistake!

OK, I know what I have to do... But I wonder what the affects are... So here is what happened:

BMW Genius Marketing Team decided not to use a distinctive quart bottle for gear oil (vs engine oil). Yeah, the wording is different, but the picture of the rider is even the same!!

Any way, after the oil change, my buddy was opening and handing me quart bottles off the shelf as I dumped them in. I had one bottle of gear oil, and sure enough, it went in.

So, I have 3 quarts of 20w50 and 1 quart of 80w90 Hypoid Gear oil.

I know the correct answer is drain it all and refill, but what are the affects of running it in this configuration? Also, when I dump this oil, should I also change the filter? Or just dump it best I can and reuse it?

After you're done chuckling, I would like to hear your opinions.

-Jason.

My first instinct, it's cheaper to dump all of the oil and replace filter than to have some potential clogging of the filter and who knows what other complication. The repair would be astronomical.
    Your experience has brought awarenes to others of a potential mistake. Thanks for sharing.
    Gil
    Die worn out instead of rusted out! I am work in progress.
    1975 R90/6
    1988 K75C
    And more cameras than I can handle!
    http://www.pbase.com/gil_hidalgo

srb
    Oil experts will weigh in, but I remember reading that the viscosities are very different for gear oil than motor oil. That gear oil you dumped in is probably equivalent to a 30 or 40 weight motor oil. I don't know if it'll do any damage or not, but you already know to take it out and refill with the proper lubricant. I consider myself fairly cheap, and I would still replace the filter.

dlearl476
    Quote Originally Posted by JNeumeier View Post
    BMW Genius Marketing Team .....
    There's a saying in a club I belong to: "When you're pointing the finger at someone else, remember that you're pointing three back at yourself".

-Jason.
    Change your oil and filter and you'll be fine.

You asked for opinions, not data. Dump the oil & the filter and consider it a relatively inexpensive lesson learned. Charge the replacement costs to your buddy, a case of beer should work.
    Bob Weis MOA 18150
    04 K12RS, 93 Kawasaki Mule-manure hauler
    http://www.earplugco.com

RIDERR1150GSADV

Talking

What everyone else already said before; just replace the oil and filter. Thanks for coming forward with this, as I am sure you're not the first or will be the last person to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by dlearl476 View Post
    There's a saying in a club I belong to: "When you're pointing the finger at someone else, remember that you're pointing three back at yourself".
    That having been said, it is colossally imbecilic of BMW to package two radically different products in virtually the same container.

I just picked up five quarts of engine oil and one of synthetic gear and noted the alarming similarity.

Wrong oil

I had a work van that had transmission fluid (I think) put in the engine by the service center (it comes out of hoses). The engine was completely filled with a black, sooty carbon deposit up to the valve cover. It wasn't worth replacing the engine so the vehicle was totalled. Of course the service center could never make a mistake like that!
    Mark

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most" Mark Twain

if nothing else it sure smells funny ! I would change it, but if I was stuck in BFE, would not be overly worried about riding it. Remember the STP threatment we poured in our smoking hand me down 60's era cars? That stuff was about 150W molasses!, didn't hurt anything running thru system
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Dear Old Dad Trick

Speaking of dumping strange things in the oil, My Dad taught me years ago that when you change oil in ANY engine, after all the old oil had drained out, put the plug back in, then dump about a quart of kerosne in the engine (amount for a cage, that is, I assume he used less for a bike and lawnmowers) and very gently turn the motor over once without firing. then drain out the now BLACK keosene and proceed with the change.

Does anybody have any feedback on this?

I might add that his pickups, willy Jeep and our Buick Stationwagon ran well into the 150,000 range when we sold them (still running perfect).

Red
    Last edited by redclfco; 08-24-2007 at 02:07 PM. Reason: speling

K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JNeumeier View Post
    I know the correct answer is drain it all and refill, but what are the affects of running it in this configuration? Also, when I dump this oil, should I also change the filter? Or just dump it best I can and reuse it?

-Jason.

Definitely change it all.
    My other bike is a BMW.
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

Quote Originally Posted by redclfco View Post
    Speaking odd dumping starnge things in the oil, My Dad taught me years ago that when you change oil in ANY engine, after all the old oil had drained out, put the plug back in, then dump about a quart of kerosne in the engine (amount for a cage, that is, I assume he used less for a bike and lawnmowers) and very gently turn the motor over once without firing. then drain out the now BLACK keosene and proceed with the change.

I might add that his pickups, willy Jeep and our Buick Stationwagon ran well into the 150,000 range when we sold them (still running perfect).

Red
    Now they call it engine flush at $6.95/qt....

Dump the oil. The peace of mind will be priceless.
    R100RT
    R100GS
    Lifan 200: Support the global economy.

Oop! Oil Mistake

Change the oil filter dump the oil and friend. Just kidding about the friend. Aliter of Crown Royal will suffice from him. Seriously change the oil and filter for peace of mind.
    GATOR

2006 R1200RT

Once I thought I was wrong but I was mistaken

dlearl476
    Quote Originally Posted by redclfco View Post
    Speaking of dumping strange things in the oil, My Dad taught me years ago that when you change oil in ANY engine, after all the old oil had drained out, put the plug back in, then dump about a quart of kerosne in the engine (amount for a cage, that is, I assume he used less for a bike and lawnmowers) and very gently turn the motor over once without firing. then drain out the now BLACK keosene and proceed with the change.

Red

That was probably a good idea, back in the day. When oil was oil, straight weight, hardly any additives. What your dad was doing was removing the sludge deposits in the engine. Nowadays, if oil companies are to be believed, oil includes additive that a) help eliminate sludge and b) hold it in suspension. IMO, and it's only that, more harm would be done to the bearings and bushings by the sludge/kerosene mix running through them than good that would be accomplished by removing them if, in fact, there were any there.

FWIW, I think this is one of the primary "FACTS" behind the "don't use synth in older vehicles" legend. Modern Synths will loosen and dissolve years of sludge build up and wreak havoc on bearing surfaces.

I've seen the kerosene-trick used during restorations of old vehicles. The way I saw it done, it was more than a quart (more like a gallon) and the engine would be turned by the tarter for about thirty seconds. Then the kerosene was drained and the procedure repeated until the kerosene drained clear.
    Fast-forward to six years ago. I pulled the crank-cover and valve-cover off an '85 K100 that had 76K miles on it. I did not know the bike's maintenance-history except that it had been fairly neglected the last few years. There was no trace of sludge to be found. I also have found no trace of sludge in The BatBike's engine ('95 R100), which has 65K and is currently torn-down out in my garage. I have had it since 33K and have used automotive-formula Castrol Syntec Blend.

As for the original subject of this thread, peace of mind is probably the biggest benefit of draining the oopsed oil. While I doubt that leaving it in will cause any harm, peace of mind is a good thing, especially when you want your attention on your riding rather than on what you're riding.
    Bikeless for now...but not forever!

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad