Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Numb hands

ggfossen

Numb hands

Much has been written/asked about numb hands, and how to fix the problem. Many have suggested the simply gripping too hard with the right hand may contribute to the problem. I think it does.

Yesterday, purely by accident, I stumbled on something that helped my problem.

Many of you old timers may know this, but I didn't, and I, like, ain't young.

With the new RT, I have been consciously trying to place my hands as close as possible to the inner ring on the grips so as to have my fingers closer to the control buttons.

Yesterday, I let my hand natually drift out a bit (perhaps I am finally beginning to relax??), and found that, with my glove resting on the unmoveable bar end and on the throttle, it was much easier to maintain throttle position with a lighter grip. Sort of like a mini cruise controlled comprised of one ham-handed leather glove. It made life easier.

Gary

Kristi from Canada

Try Crampbuster To Loosen Your Grip!

I LOVE my crampbuster!!! If you want to loosen your grip on the throttle side try one of these. I have the wide one on my GS and now I dont know how I ever rode without it, expecially long distance.

http://www.crampbuster.com/

Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft FredRydr's Avatar

Numb hands

This has recently become a real issue for me, and I hate to admit it, but it is probably caused by the new posture of my R1200R after moving from my R1150R. I thought they were pretty close, but maybe not.

My doctor has in the past mentioned that if my thumb, index finger and middle finger are numb, it indicates one problem, while if the middle, ring and small fingers are numb, it is another. I have the former, and on both hands. One or both hands will be affected when doing anything, even numb when I wake in the morning. I ride about 1,500+ miles month average. So, it's off to the doctor.

I realize everyone is a different shape and size and lean into their bike in a variety of ways, but any feedback from those who've been through this would be appreciated. I'm not uncomfortable on the Roadster, but something's amiss. Help me tweak the ergonomics of my handlebars.

Fred
    '07

P.S. I already have a Throttlemeister and a crampbuster-type thing.

Bede

Viatmin B12

A few years ago I noticed that my hands, mostly the outside fingers, were going numb more severely when riding. I also began to have the problem at night if I slept with my arms bent. This kind of numbness is caused by the nerve that goes through the underside of the elbow.

I came across an article that said people who take stomach acid blocking meds often have this problem, which I do. You need the stomach acid to get the vitamin B12 out of food and B12 is necessary for nerve health. Well, I started taking B12 supplements and in about 6 months the numbness problem was pretty much gone, in a year I was not having that problem at all when riding.

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    This has recently become a real issue for me, and I hate to admit it, but it is probably caused by the new posture of my R1200R after moving from my R1150R. I thought they were pretty close, but maybe not.

My doctor has in the past mentioned that if my thumb, index finger and middle finger are numb, it indicates one problem, while if the middle, ring and small fingers are numb, it is another. I have the former, and on both hands. One or both hands will be affected when doing anything, even numb when I wake in the morning. I ride about 1,500+ miles month average. So, it's off to the doctor.

I realize everyone is a different shape and size and lean into their bike in a variety of ways, but any feedback from those who've been through this would be appreciated. I'm not uncomfortable on the Roadster, but something's amiss. Help me tweak the ergonomics of my handlebars.

Fred
    '07

P.S. I already have a Throttlemeister and a crampbuster-type thing.
    Fred, since we're basically the same shape/size (short, fat..) and we ride identical bikes (except mine has more farkles..)

What worked for me:

The slip on foam covers from beemerboneyard.com help.. they increase the grip diameter making it easier to grip. The additional softness doesn't hurt either.

Take off your watch if your watch hand (in my case - right since I'm a lefty) goes numb..

Add a throttle drag device to the throttle. Mine is a simple O ring between the grip-flange and the throttle-housing. It adds enough friction that the throttle will stay where it's set unless I back it off. It adds almost no effort to opening the throttle and no effort to closing it. On K bikes and airheads I used the BMW throttle screw to do the same thing. That's the poor-mans way - Throttlemiester and others can do the same thing for more $$$.

Gel-palm-gloves - may help if any vibration is causing the numbness.

================================================== ===

The tricks above eliminated the problem for me about 90% of the time. For some reason I sometimes still feel it on my way to work in the morning... rarely if ever bothers me other than that. The foam grips and throttle-drag allow you to loosely grip the bars - not clench down on them, and that helps a lot.

You have the throttlemeister and a cramp buster.. I'd say the $6 foam slip on's from beemerboneyard are next on the list.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

pgods

more $$ but worth it

Kaoko throttle lock. For distance riding, it's a godsend!

Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft FredRydr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deilenberger View Post
    Fred, since we're basically the same shape/size (short, fat..) I'd say the $6 foam slip on's from beemerboneyard are next on the list.
    Gasp! Fat? I'm in denial. (I'm also in increasingly tight leathers.)

I bought those very foam slip-ons from Mike Figeleski. I felt as though my fingers did not go far enough around the grip, so I removed them. Maybe I should give them another try.

Fred

You could think of it like my sister does "fluffy" - but somehow that doesn't seem to fit me.. mebbe "lumpy"?
    I bought those very foam slip-ons from Mike Figeleski. I felt as though my fingers did not go far enough around the grip, so I removed them. Maybe I should give them another try.

Fred
    Worth a try if you have them already for sure. I've never liked a small grip on a street bike (going back about 40 years now) since I stopped riding dirty bikes (where you had to use the grip to loft the front wheel sometimes..) Bigger is better for me especially as arthritis and stuff like that sneaks up on us youngsters..
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

planepaul1949
    I heard about Qwi gloves on one of these forums. They have pads that serve to protect the carpal nerve in the center of the wrist. They work for me. I use moto-x gloves for hot weather riding, and notice the difference big time.
    QwiNerveProtector.com is the website. Good pricing, too.
    A throttle rocker helps a bunch, too.
    Paul in CA
    '05 R1200RT

Another testimonial here for new gloves

Quote Originally Posted by planepaul View Post
    I heard about Qwi gloves on one of these forums. They have pads that serve to protect the carpal nerve in the center of the wrist. They work for me. I use moto-x gloves for hot weather riding, and notice the difference big time.
    QwiNerveProtector.com is the website. Good pricing, too.
    A throttle rocker helps a bunch, too.
    Paul in CA
    '05 R1200RT
    I have had the same problem, and normally have ridden with leather ropers with a huge sheepskin pile year round. It gets a bit hot during summer, so I bought a pair of gloves at the rally this year that protect the carpal nerve in the center of the wrist like you describe above, and the numbness has all but gone away.

Numb fingers...

The description of numb fingers, middle, ring, and pinky, suggest a cervical vertebrae issue; this description fits that dermatome (google if you like) perfectly. So, basically, what's troubling those with numb fingers such as the problems described here, may really neck issues. So, monitor the way you hold your head when you ride, particularly long distances when your neck muscles are likely to become fatigued. And ask yourself if you sometimes wake up in the morning with numb fingers, and the numbness goes away when you change the position of your head. The best resource for information and advice on this issue is your primary care physician, but be prepared to describe how you hold your head while riding.

bobh41

As a marathon bicyclist

I learned to deal with all the numbing effects by simply moving positions as frequently as necessary to eliminate them. Change your neck position by shifting back and forth on the saddle, and by moving your elbows up, down, in, out. Move the contact point for your hands by rolling them slightly to the side, etc.

You have to have a pretty steady position in traffic, but you still can vary it enough to reduce or eliminate the numbing, and still have good hand control.

I think the human body was not designed to sit still for very long, even in sleep.

too tight a grip

I have never had a problem with numb fingers but you have raised a collateral problem which sometines plagues me- inadvertantly kicking of the cruise control with what is probably too tight a grip with my right hand on my R12; in my past I owned three Gold Wings and never had this problem; I probably do grip too tightly at times but I am wondering if there is a tension control somewhere that could allow a little more pressure before kicking off the cc.

mrich12000

Talking Nice River

Fred

The Nile is a river in Egipt
    Last edited by mrich12000; 12-20-2007 at 06:29 AM.

mrich12000

But Really

My problem is in the crotch area, long runs gives me the "Monkey butt"
    My personal fellow and area goes to sleep lack of blood and I have to get off every 2-3 hours ouchI have an older Corbin and I hate it budget restrants prevent me getting a newer type so I suffer