Thread: Unsavory Cheese Store

Unsavory Cheese Store

This is a warning to anyone thinking about purchasing cheese from The Cheesemaker #1 Inc, in Plain Wi. They had been recommended to me by locals, but they are not a very good place to do business with. I have been dealing with them for several weeks now trying to get unauthorized charges they made, refunded from them. I waited until returning home to order from them because of the packing situation for us and carrying any extra on the bikes. When I returned home I ordered cheese from them, I was given several methods to choose from for shipping, the method I chose cost me almost as much as the cheese. They went ahead and made changes to my choice of shipping method (without my knowledge) and my shipping cost came to over $108.71. They never called me or emailed me to ask if I would like to cancel or if the extra charges were acceptable and now I have been on the phone and email with them many times without satisfaction. I have reported them to BBB and my bank (my bank can not do anything for 30 days) but BBB did open a case. Their conversations have been nasty and uncooperative. So I am recommending beware and purchase with care.
    Marsha
    Last edited by rottenbiker; 08-07-2007 at 06:09 PM.

Did you use a Mastercard or Visa for the purchase? If so, write a letter to your bank right now. They only have 45 days from the time of the sale to dispute the charge on your behalf. Once the charge is posted, the clock starts ticking.

PM me with details and I will advise as best I can. I've been out of credit card banking (specifically credit card disputes) for a few years but I doubt much has changed.

Uh...how much?

Let me get this straight - you had $108.00 worth of cheese shipping??

How much cheese did you buy?
    "During Prohibition I survived on nothing but food and water." - W.C. Fields

cheese

I bought around 9.5lb of cheese the shipping method they used cost me approx $78.00 price of cheese was $30.00. I asked them what made them think I would spend 78.00 to ship something that cost less then half of that? I would have waited till colder weather and gotten it if I had known they would ship that way. 2 Day shipping was under $30.00 which is what I ordered.

Wisconsin cheese...

I smell cheese. Call your credit card customer service and initiate a dispute. They can't charge you for something you didn't order, i.e., costly shipping.

Good luck!

mrich12000

Talking All Bound Up

wow what a rip

Well....

I was not privy to the transaction, nor am I defending the Cheese company, but...

I paid $79.00 to ship $75.00 (10 pints) worth of the finest Wisconsin Frozen Custard to California in an Igloo Cooler packed with dry ice complete with toppings and pecans via a local frozen custard place.

Shipping perishables cost $$$. Clarence Birdseye made his fortune because he figured out how to do that.

Did the cheese place explain anything to you at the time of sale? Surely there must have been some sort of chart or explanation showing the costs.
    "What is beautiful is simple, and what is simple always works"....Kalashnikov, inventor of the AK-47.
    Currently bikeless, but looking hard! "Center yourself in the vertizontal. Ride a motorcycle...namaste' "

Not defending this company by any means however.....

I deal with shipping perishables everyday, fruit, cheesecakes, chocolates,wine and cheeses and such, I can tell you unless you ship A LOT and I mean A LOT, UPS and FedEx charge an arm and a leg to ship overnight. If I was just shipping cheese I would have insisted that it goes overnight due to the temperatures we are having right know.

I do know that the cold packs they should have used run between $ 3.00 to 10.00 depending on size and can add weight in shipping. With the cold packs in the box they could have easily used the "next day saver" to bring the cost to around $65.00 to 69.00.

With all that said, any reputable company would have called and asked if you still wanted to go ahead with this order being that the shipping was more than the order. If you did pay with a credit card, call now! They will have to prove that they informed you about the shipping charge. I hopes this helps.
    Last edited by Kristin; 08-09-2007 at 02:48 PM. Reason: boo boo

cheese

The cheese company, gave me 2 shipping options, 1 day or 2 day I chose the 2 day @ $30.00, The cheese I was purchasing was approx $30.00 dollars as well. A week after I ordered the cheese I received a shipping notice via email that they were shipping. The notice stated cost of cheese and that they had decided to ship overnight, the notice did not show shipping charges. It sounded like because they had waited so long to ship they were shipping overnight instead of 2 day to expedite things. They had my cell number from the order but never bothered and called me to let me know. But they also did not let me know there was changes to shipping charges either in the email. I have bought things from Vermont many times, packed in dry ice and shipping charges have not been that ridiculous. Regardless they had the opportunity to contact me and let me know that the charges would be more and ask if I still wanted it.......they did not. I know when I worked for an automotive dealer as Parts manager if we had put parts on an auto without the owners okay to make a repair,....we had better expect to "eat the cost of it". Since I first posted this,....update: they emailed me (they refuse to take my calls) and said they would refund the extra shipping to my card, I have been online daily to check status and they have yet to do so. My bank did say they can't charge me without first having authorization from me and this is after viewing all the emails back and forth between myself and the Cheese people, so I think I am good to get it back eventually. But beware....if they would do it to me, they would do it to others. I know I will never purchase anything from them again.
    Marsha