Thread: Changed my brake fluid

Changed my brake fluid

After reading the factory manual that says only "special" equipment available to BMW dealers can be used to change brake fluid for my K1100rs ABS....I became immediately suspicious...having worked on my own cars for many years I knew that the swap of fluid in ABS cars was a non-event.

To further my knowledge , I called Speigler Brakes and discussed this and was told that the bleeding of ABS was no more difficult than non-ABS except that one must progress in a logical order, ending at the caliper.

Did my own this weekend and it was a piece of cake...funny how a little investigation can bring nice results....sooooooooooooooo

a. Saved myself $450...( what the dealer quoted to do this "difficult" job).

b. Found that my right front caliper that the dealer (Brecht BMW in Escondido, Ca. ) told me two months ago had a leak and "had" to be repaired..had no leak at all....you don't think the dealer was being dishonest do you ?

Re: Changed my brake fluid

Originally posted by gary442
    After reading the factory manual that says only "special" equipment available to BMW dealers can be used to change brake fluid for my K1100rs ABS....I became immediately suspicious...having worked on my own cars for many years I knew that the swap of fluid in ABS cars was a non-event.

To further my knowledge , I called Speigler Brakes and discussed this and was told that the bleeding of ABS was no more difficult than non-ABS except that one must progress in a logical order, ending at the caliper.

Did my own this weekend and it was a piece of cake...funny how a little investigation can bring nice results....sooooooooooooooo

a. Saved myself $450...( what the dealer quoted to do this "difficult" job).

b. Found that my right front caliper that the dealer (Brecht BMW in Escondido, Ca. ) told me two months ago had a leak and "had" to be repaired..had no leak at all....you don't think the dealer was being dishonest do you ?
    Umm.. Gary?

What model K bike?
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

Woops - sorry - didn't read it carefully enough (brain fade)..

As long as you don't have the new EVO brakes - there is nothing really special about flushing the brakes. A power bleeder makes the job a real no event.. Mine cost $10 to make and makes the job almost a pleasure to do.

What's that noise...? basketcase's Avatar

Power bleeder?

Could you say a bit more?

My interest is piqued.
    '98 BMW Z3 Roadster, '00 R1100RT

If you insist on exercising a right to burn our flag, first be so kind as to wrap yourself in it and then douse yourself with gasoline just before you strike the match.

Re: Power bleeder?

Originally posted by RickM
    Could you say a bit more?

My interest is piqued.
    Sure.. not my idea, but a great idea..

http://www.apexcone.com/JimPowellHom...r/bleeder.html

All you have to do once you build it is collect spare caps for the brake reservoirs on your bike (or car) and do a bit of plumbing on them.

I've found most dealers will happily save and give you old caps from master cylinders they've replaced. The old ones don't have a great deal of value :-)

Total cost of mine was:

Garden sprayer - $7 at Home Depot
    Tie wraps to secure hoses to cap - no cost, have a bunch
    Plumbing fittings for cap - no cost - have a bunch at work.

Speedbleeders are a good thing too.
    2012 R1200GS

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad

Originally posted by The Veg
    Speedbleeders are a good thing too.
    Better than nothing - but you still risk the master cylinder by doing hand bleeding (or flushing) by going beyond the normal wear portion of the bore.

You usually don't know this until some weeks later when the cylinder starts leaking.

For $10 - why bother?