Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 91

Thread: Motel Reservations in Gillette

  1. #76
    Riding where it's hot! AZ-J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Posts
    2,618
    Quote Originally Posted by awagnon View Post
    Quote: "But it inadvertently kinda supports the "bitchin' and whinin'" theory: 85 degree highs is hot to some? Wish we had those here in July instead of 105 to 115 or so

    If you look at the same weather.com graph for Scottsdale, you'll see the average high in July is 104 or 105, not 115. But it does get to 115. Same for Gillette. Talk with someone from Gillette and they will tell you it gets hotter than 85 degrees in July, regularly. If you want to sleep in a tent, fine. But for 40% of the members, they prefer a motel, and Gillette just may not be able to provide it. ( 40% of 8,000 attending is 3,200. Are there 32 motels in Gillette with 100 empty rooms? )
    Look at the record highs for Scottsdale, and you'll see it gets to over 115, it shows 118, and that's wrong as in too low because I have been here when we hit 122. We also hit over 110 for 28 days this summer tying the all time record, and tomorrow's forecast is for 111. That's hot and because of the "heat island" no one thinks we will have lower highs soon. Gillette's usual highs are far less than 115 and that's a cakewalk for me.

    Also, it is clear you did not read my posts because I NEVER carry a tent, nor do I want to put enough luggage on my bike to do so, I'd rather spring for hotel. In other words I do not want to sleep in one.

    So if there aren't 32 hotels with 100 empty rooms, I guess I will be one who does not get a reservation and go. Maybe you will be one, too. It's all in the choices we make.

  2. #77
    Ahead of my time bigdelta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Punta Gorda,Fla
    Posts
    1,100

    I believe it was posted earlier

    Quote Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
    I think the higher prices in Gillette as compared to Burlington is a supply and demand thing. The lower prices in Burlington are possible because the occupancy rates are higher due to the location so the cost of building and operating the motel can be spread out more. In Gillette, the average occupancy rate is much lower because the demand is more in bursts when something is scheduled there. Therefore, the building and operating costs are passed on to fewer customers and the results are higher prices.
    by a member involved with the Rally that since Gillette is undergoing a boom of sorts,hotel occupancy remains high year round.Not just gouging during our "special event".So I don't believe your supposition flies here.While it won't lower the rates,at least it explains in part the high charges.

  3. #78
    Ahead of my time bigdelta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Punta Gorda,Fla
    Posts
    1,100

    Do you also have a graph

    Quote Originally Posted by SherpaMayberry View Post
    Naturally, the tents won't be air conditioned

    I am a bit perplexed, however, the many comments on how hot it's going to be. I'll add a couple graphs pulled from weather.com, one from Gillette and the other from West Bend. Not much difference, four degrees warmer in Gillette (on average) and six degrees cooler at night. Plus, I assume (I don't know for sure) that the humidity tends to be much lower in Gillette.

    It's going to be warm pretty much everywhere in the country in July, which is why I provide shade canopies for folks to use during the day. Worked out pretty nicely in West Bend.
    that shows the number of trees (shade) on both sites?Shade is good,no?

  4. #79
    Registered User awagnon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Ogden, Utah
    Posts
    424
    Quote Originally Posted by Tweety1 View Post
    Also, it is clear you did not read my posts because I NEVER carry a tent, nor do I want to put enough luggage on my bike to do so, I'd rather spring for hotel. In other words I do not want to sleep in one.

    Tweety1 Actually, I did read your entire post, including the part about not wanting to carry a tent. My point was about how unreliable the "average high temperature" graph on weather.com is. Like you said in your post, it doesn't reflect individual and record high temperatures.

    I'm sorry I implied you wanted to sleep in a tent. I share your not wanting to carry camping gear on a bike. I do it, occasionally, and I like to camp out in Idaho, Wyoming, and Utah in the Spring and Fall, but not Gillette in July. I certainly don't blame you for not wanting to carry camping gear and regular touring gear all the way from Scottsdale. I'm sorry I mistated your intentions about not sleeping in a tent.
    Al - Ogden, Utah
    Boxer bikes, boxer dogs, and letterboxing.
    2004 1150GS
    2006 Boxer dog (Paisley)

  5. #80
    Riding where it's hot! AZ-J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Posts
    2,618
    Quote Originally Posted by awagnon View Post
    Tweety1 Actually, I did read your entire post, including the part about not wanting to carry a tent. My point was about how unreliable the "average high temperature" graph on weather.com is. Like you said in your post, it doesn't reflect individual and record high temperatures.

    I'm sorry I implied you wanted to sleep in a tent. I share your not wanting to carry camping gear on a bike. I do it, occasionally, and I like to camp out in Idaho, Wyoming, and Utah in the Spring and Fall, but not Gillette in July. I certainly don't blame you for not wanting to carry camping gear and regular touring gear all the way from Scottsdale. I'm sorry I mistated your intentions about not sleeping in a tent.
    Your point was about how unreliable the "average high temperature" graph on weather.com is well taken, but then again, how reliable is any weather report or forecast? Here, we have T'storm warnings every day we are in our wet summer season called the monsoon, but if it rains 2 weeks a year that a lot as we only get 7.5" a year. Weather forecasting is like rolling ten dice and trying to get the same number on each. You could check 10 sites andget 10 different reports, and none would be correct.

    We just all need to choose what we will do about where we each stay. That's my point.

  6. #81
    Just passin through wanderer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Pueblo West, Co.
    Posts
    549
    Gillette, like a lot of the west enjoys GREAT sleeping weather. It's very low humidity and drops to the mid to high 60's by 10:00 pm or so even on the hotest of days. The vast majority of people around here sleep with the air conditioning off and the windows open all summer long. Camp, dont' camp, your choice, but Gillette won't be like the midwest or the east where it can be 90 degrees and 90% humidity at 3 in the morning.
    Live this day.

  7. #82
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdelta View Post
    that shows the number of trees (shade) on both sites?Shade is good,no?
    Shade is good. I will never guarantee shade for the tents, you can usually count on the tents not having shade simply because there isn't much to be found on any given fairground. Plus, if I sell out at 200 tents, no way can I set all up under a tree.

    I do have canopies where people can sit during the day, which also facilitates making friends and telling stories, etc. Last year I had coverage of 20' x 40', I'll continue to purchase additional canopies for next year.

  8. #83
    Quote Originally Posted by Tweety1 View Post

    My issue with tenting is I'd rather pay for a hotel than try to carry it. I do not have much luggage space, and like it that way.
    This is why I provide my service.

    Many want a real bed with their own shower, etc. That's fine too.

  9. #84
    From MARS
    Guest

    Just a suggestion

    If supply and demand are the driving forces behind the lodging prices in Gillette, let's alter them. We can't change the number of rooms available, but we can change the demand. Call your favorite lodging supplier and ask about rates each week, but don't book. Just complain about the extravagant cost and hang up. As the rally approaches and they have all those unbooked rooms, they will lower the rates. Of course, this only works if everyone participates, and we know some are going to get scared of not having a room to sleep in, and, therefore, not going to the rally or having to sleep in a tent. They'll book at any price, but if the majority of the 3200 lodgers hold off until the last minute, my guess is the rates will come down. There can't be 3000 people traveling through Gillette wanting motel rooms on the very dates we need them, could there? If there are, the Sherpa can have extra tents and can make a killing off 'em. Of course, this does introduce uncertainty into the lives of those that hold out, but life is full of uncertainties.

    I camped at WB, my first rally, and enjoyed it because of the folks I got to know after the sun went down and the "real" conversations began. I'll camp at Gillette for the same reason.

  10. #85
    2002redrider
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    19

    Rooms in Gillette

    Re: Best Value Inn
    Just booked one for $100/night over the phone. It was the BMW discount the lady said. Must be the case as I tried to do it on line and got quotes of $170-190 per night. They were probably suites. Right!

    A hun a night is still a bit of a rip for a place like Gillette but when compared to what we pay for BMW parts and accessories it is just a walk in the park!

    Mike

  11. #86
    I Used to Be Someone sheridesabeemer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Live Free & Ride, NH
    Posts
    3,859
    Quote Originally Posted by mikebristow View Post
    Re: Best Value Inn
    Just booked one for $100/night over the phone. It was the BMW discount the lady said. Must be the case as I tried to do it on line and got quotes of $170-190 per night. They were probably suites. Right!

    A hun a night is still a bit of a rip for a place like Gillette but when compared to what we pay for BMW parts and accessories it is just a walk in the park!

    Mike
    I spent 25 nights in hotels during high tourist season this summer. The average was just about $100/night.
    Gail Hatch
    SheRidesABeemer's Blog
    05 R12GS
    87 K75CT

  12. #87
    Riding where it's hot! AZ-J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Posts
    2,618
    Re: Best Value Inn
    I booked today, but they asked me single or twins, I said single, and wound up with the alternative $90 per night. Of course they reminded me, it is "plus tax".

    Yahoo!

    Tweety1
    Sunset Yellow F800S

  13. #88
    Ahead of my time bigdelta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Punta Gorda,Fla
    Posts
    1,100

    Thumbs up My post wasn't directed at you

    Quote Originally Posted by SherpaMayberry View Post
    Shade is good. I will never guarantee shade for the tents, you can usually count on the tents not having shade simply because there isn't much to be found on any given fairground. Plus, if I sell out at 200 tents, no way can I set all up under a tree.

    I do have canopies where people can sit during the day, which also facilitates making friends and telling stories, etc. Last year I had coverage of 20' x 40', I'll continue to purchase additional canopies for next year.
    and providing canopies is an asset when shade is at a premium.
    Last edited by bigdelta; 08-29-2007 at 04:00 PM.

  14. #89
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Daphne, AL
    Posts
    272
    Ted
    I may have missed the the thread have you figured out what you rates are going to be this event.
    Michael Johnston
    Founder: Veteran BMW Riders Name Change to: BMW Club Veteran Riders international
    www.veteranbmwriders.org

  15. #90
    Quote Originally Posted by vetbmwrider View Post
    Ted
    I may have missed the the thread have you figured out what you rates are going to be this event.
    I haven't nailed them down yet. My costs will be significantly more this trip, plus I keep selling out, so my rates will have an increase over previous years.

    Probably will start with $150 for a single tent and $225 for a double tent, and that price will climb as the event gets closer (in other words, reserve and pay early).

    Prices cover everything for the whole event, of course.

    I'll open up reservations as soon as I see a link for me on the '08 rally page.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •