Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Motel Reservations in Gillette

Motel Reservations in Gillette

Gillette, Wyoming, visitor bureau had a booth at the MOA rally in Wisconsin where they gave out a list of local motels with "convention rates". Last night I booked a room on line considerably cheaper than their convention rate. Granted, I used the AARP (geezer) rate, but even the standard online rate was less. A friend tried to make reservations at the same motel by phone and was told there wasn't a rate that low. So, he logged onto their website and booked at the same low rate as I did. So, bottom line, be wary of their "convention rates" and book early.
    Al - Ogden, Utah
    Boxer bikes, boxer dogs, and letterboxing.
    2004 1150GS
    2006 Boxer dog (Paisley)

eljeffe
    Al,

Keep close tabs on your confirmation paperwork. Also, I would verify with the hotel in a few months that your reservation is still "intact". From past experience, the hotels around Laguna Seca have been INFAMOUS for canceling all the "cheap" online reservations to fill up with the more expensive ones when they figure out that they can. It's unethical, but there's nothing you can do about it. Even if it is a national chain, the parent company will be of little help to you if this indeed happens to you. I'm not saying it will, but I am recommending that people "trust but verify" the reservations they do make.

Hotel rates in Gillete are absurd!

Quote Originally Posted by awagnon View Post
    Gillette, Wyoming, visitor bureau had a booth at the MOA rally in Wisconsin where they gave out a list of local motels with "convention rates". Last night I booked a room on line considerably cheaper than their convention rate. Granted, I used the AARP (geezer) rate, but even the standard online rate was less. A friend tried to make reservations at the same motel by phone and was told there wasn't a rate that low. So, he logged onto their website and booked at the same low rate as I did. So, bottom line, be wary of their "convention rates" and book early.
    What hotel and what was the rate? I attempted to make reservations online today and even the Super 8 was over $170 per day at an AARP rate. Saw several rates over $200 per night. Absolute rubbish as far as I'm concerned. I thought Lima was a cesspool that that ripped us off but it appears Gillette is even worse.

Wingate rates

Just made reservations on-line at Wingate for $118.15 per night (Senior/AARP) vs the $159 rate quoted in the BMWMOA Hotels brochure that was at the 2007 Rallye.
    AAA rates are $125.10 and "best available" rate is $139.00

Quote: "What hotel and what was the rate?

It was the Wingate and the AARP rate was $ 118 plus change.
    Al - Ogden, Utah
    Boxer bikes, boxer dogs, and letterboxing.
    2004 1150GS
    2006 Boxer dog (Paisley)

Buzzed and Belligerent gambrinus's Avatar

THIS is the kind of Crap that the MOA folks need to be aware of and be making phone calls to the visitors and convention people in lovely Gillette.

RW

There is not much the "visitors and convention" people can do when a hotel gets overtaken by greed.
    Sig? What's a Sig?

Thumbs down

Yer' jess beginning to get "a taste" of Gillette Wyoming.

It'll get better I'm sure...

Sanders

Buzzed and Belligerent gambrinus's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sjbmw View Post
    There is not much the "visitors and convention" people can do when a hotel gets overtaken by greed.
    Agreed, but the fact that it's happening, and will happen anytime a horde of out of town folks decend upon a location for any type of event doesn't make it any better. Remember one of the reasons that the location for the national isn't made public 2yrs in advance is that there are NEGOTIATIONS that take place between the MOA and the location. Some sort of control against gouging should be in play.

RW

Hotel Rates in Gillette

Quote: "What hotel and what was the rate?

It was the Wingate and the AARP rate was $ 118 plus change.

The rate now is $169+ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I fully understand market forces, especially in the hospitality industry, however, I believe our organization must get firm rate committments prior to booking a rally site. Too much emphasis is placed on camping . . . and not enough on those who enjoy rallys but won't, don't, or can't sleep on the ground.

Just my humble opinion . . .
    Gregory L. Johnson
    The rider formerly known as VT Greg

Mudbug

call for a boycott of expensive Gillette hotels

I don't do business with places that raise their rates to capitalize on events. Generally, I avoid the event entirely. A prime example is Sturgis.

I think the quoted prices of hotel rooms is outrageous. I've been to Gillette a few times and the rates were no where near what have been quoted here.

If I were attending the rally next year, I would camp on the grounds. Perhaps it would best to boycott the hotels. The economics of supply and demand is a two way street.

Next year I will be attending the Black Hills BMW Stampede in Spearfish [ ] the weekend before the MOA . It's a small rally but a great one offering exceptional riding. No price gouging there.

gouging?

Typical hotel rooms in citys go for 300+ a night. It's supply and demand. They'll have 100% occupancy at rally time, and they know it. Travelers passing thru without reservations will have to move on. That's why communities love to have groups like ours.... They make money, we have a good time.
    robert '04gs '00rt '07st1300

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by aaaaaa View Post
    Typical hotel rooms in citys go for 300+ a night. It's supply and demand. They'll have 100% occupancy at rally time, and they know it. Travelers passing thru without reservations will have to move on. That's why communities love to have groups like ours.... They make money, we have a good time.
    robert '04gs '00rt '07st1300

When the Bristol Race gets here next week, motels will jack up their rates to 3 or 4 times their normal rate and they will have a 3 day minimum. Without the 2 NASCAR races, many of the motels would go broke. I had a cousin who lived in Augusta and she planned her vacation around the Masters. She rented her house out while on vacation and was able to make several house payments with the income. She found reliable folks and rented to them every year. It is simply supply and demand and you can't blame the business owners.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Yes you can blame the business owners. Just because the market will bear it does not make it right (except perhaps under the Ferengi Rules Of Acquisition), and the short-term gain could cost them repeat business down the road. A happy customer is a returning customer- but this is not a popular idea in business these days.
    2012 R1200GS

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad

Look at the business model. A convention center draws x people to an event. That requires y hotel rooms during events. Between events the rooms sit empty. If you want a discounted room in Gillette, try mid week in January.
    robert gs rt st