Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: S'mores OK @ the Campfire?

S'mores OK @ the Campfire?

Since this IS, the Campfire: My wife told me that the Forest Service,via a recent news release, is asking parents to get their kids eating veggies & fresh fruits around the "campfire" for a healthier life, not s'mores. I actually don't care for them but care for you know what even less...
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

The Forest Service should butt out of the diet choices and rejoice in the fact that the kids are enjoying the forest instead of sitting at home with the Xbox.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

At the risk of going political, imagine what school lunch program is like if the Forest Service is weighing in on food choices.

Source?
    1983 R100RS (Sold)
    2004 R1150RT
    BMW MOA 181289
    ABC 13558

Larry
    2006 R1200RT

Sorry I dont get it. I thought the article was pretty well written, "National Roasted Marshmallow Day" who knew?
    So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
    And we never even know we have the key

Quote Originally Posted by jandhumphreyme View Post
    Sorry I dont get it. I thought the article was pretty well written, "National Roasted Marshmallow Day" who knew?
    Remember when the county extension service provided information on nutrition (i.e., home economics), food storage (i.e., canning) and gardening? Heck, they would even tell you what kind of fruit trees to plant and how to build your pond. I'm really glad we stopped that stuff......
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

What's funny, and this is not a political statement, merely an observation after reading the comments, are those who happily, glibly, accept the use of the US forest service for such coddling of the babes.

Imagine sitting on the committee meetings that were ongoing for likely months, maybe decades developing the text and theory to adapt, implement and compose the actual text. I'd have to put a paper sack over my head to sit in that room. Just saying, no response needed.

Quote Originally Posted by arthurdent View Post
    At the risk of going political, imagine what school lunch program is like if the Forest Service is weighing in on food choices.
    Forest Service IS part of US Dept of Agriculture & they do decide much about school lunches
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

Quote Originally Posted by jandhumphreyme View Post
    Yep, I read it and your point is well made. The news clip we heard was an extraction from that article you source and lead one to believe that they were sucking the air out of camping...
    For the record I don't like s'mores.

Quote Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
    Since this IS, the Campfire: My wife told me that the Forest Service,via a recent news release, is asking parents to get their kids eating veggies & fresh fruits around the "campfire" for a healthier life, not s'mores.
    I'm sorry, but I don't view the article that way. IMO, they did not state to avoid s'mores, but rather gave suggestions to parents who would like an alternative. In fact, they gave suggestions on how to make a good s'more first.
    Jeff in W.C.
    1988 R100 RT (the other woman)
    "I got my motorcycle jacket but I'm walking all the time." Joe Strummer

Quote Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
    ......The news clip we heard was an extraction from that article you source and lead one .........
    Seems the "news" source had an agenda
    Last edited by 36654; 09-09-2014 at 10:36 AM.
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

[QUOTE=36654;955729][QUOTE=kantuckid;955670]......The news clip we heard was an extraction from that article you source and lead one .........

Seems the "news" source had an agenda
    Don't they always?
    Bill Johnston

Quote Originally Posted by 88bmwjeff View Post
    I'm sorry, but I don't view the article that way. IMO, they did not state to avoid s'mores, but rather gave suggestions to parents who would like an alternative. In fact, they gave suggestions on how to make a good s'more first.
    "what I said in #10"
    but I will admit that I usually don't pass on a chance to dis the guvermint...

Better s'mores

Dip the toasted marshmallow in Baileys then apply to a scoop of Nutella on your graham cracker or shortbread......just sayin...
    F650 GS 2007, F650GS 2011,F800GS 2014
    Team Pterodactyl, Dessert Division
    A Bit Wester of HQ