Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: A Modest Forum Proposal for Gillette and Beyond

A Modest Forum Proposal for Gillette and Beyond

Some of my best memories of the past rally are meeting forum friends in person for the first time or renewing old friendships kept close by the forum but separated by distance over the rest of the year. We were unable to organize an ad hoc event on the forum. With the growing importance of the website and the forum in the life of the BMW MOA I am making this modest proposal to turn it into a formal event at the Gillette rally and beyond.

I propose that a ÔÇÿForum Bag Lunch Meet and GreetÔÇÖ event be added to the official rally schedule of events/seminars for the Gillette Rally and beyond. The event (what ever the final name) is to be held Noon to 1PM Saturday of the Rally.

Structure:
    Begin with time for people to meet and greet each other and eat a lunch they brought themselves. Renew old friendships; meet a forum friend in person for the first time. Allow approximately 30 minutes for this.

The meet and greet would be followed by a brief presentation from the Media Staff about what happened in the previous year, where the website and forum are headed in the future, meet the mods, facts and figures about the website and then a brief Q&A.

I suggest this order of things because the main purpose is to meet people. Having the presentation and the Q&A in the second half of the hour time bounds that for the presenters. Any further praise, discussion or debate that people feel they need may then be taken back to the forum when people return to their key boards.

Timing and Location:
    Noon Saturday seems the least likely to interfere with other seminars people would attend. It should not conflict with other traditional events such as the ON Contributors, Ambassadors or Club Presidents events for example. There is a great deal of overlap in people of those groups and the forum.

The beer garden or a breakfast location sound good; however, based on my observation they present alcohol/food related problems.

The beer garden would not be conducive to the presentation I am proposing. In addition there are people on the forum that donÔÇÖt hang out at the beer garden for a variety of reasons.

A breakfast meeting is too early for some. People SS&S, go for rides, sleep in or go out for breakfast in the morning. The logistical demand on a rally location could create problems which a ÔÇÿbring your own lunchÔÇÖ event could avoid.

Name Tags:
    Prior to coming to the rally urge potential attendees to print a name tag that has their avatar, screen name and first name. Size the tag to fit a clear plastic name tag holder. Have peal and stick name tags available for those who do not remember to print one.

Costs:
    The cost to the Association would be
    ÔÇó Staff time for preparing and presenting the presentation and Q&A
    ÔÇó Meeting room space
    ÔÇó Expenses related to the name tags.
    Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

St. Paul Pioneer Press , Minneapolis Star Tribune

Once there was a Tavern PAULBACH's Avatar
    Ballston Spa, NY; South of the Adirondacks, North of the Catskills and West of The Berkshires and Green Mountains
    I second the motion.

It is a well thought out proposal.

As I recall from the closing ceremonies

Deb Lower (vice president)

and

Karol Patzer (director)

are Rally chairs for next year.

Now would be the time to reserve a room for the event.

Great idea!!

I know there were a few forum people I just didn't get to meet, which was disappointing. I also ended up leaving 1/2 through to get to the ON Contributers Dinner. I would have preferred being able to attend both completely. I'm sure we could get some "seminar" space for our little gathering.. Nametags could be the cheap stick-on kind (couple dollars) and what you're proposing doesn't include food costs... although why couldn't it be catered? It's early enough that beer wouldn't be needed. Seminar space is "free" if the room is just going to be empty, anyhow...

Buzzed and Belligerent gambrinus's Avatar
    Fantastic Idea!

Name Tags:
    Prior to coming to the rally urge potential attendees to print a name tag that has their avatar, screen name and first name. Size the tag to fit a clear plastic name tag holder. Have peal and stick name tags available for those who do not remember to print one.

RW

Quote Originally Posted by M1ka View Post
    Some of my best memories of the past rally are meeting forum friends in person for the first time or renewing old friendships kept close by the forum but separated by distance over the rest of the year. We were unable to organize an ad hoc event on the forum. With the growing importance of the website and the forum in the life of the BMW MOA I am making this modest proposal to turn it into a formal event at the Gillette rally and beyond.
    Paul's correct....sounds like a well-thought out proposal. There's plenty of time to make sure date and time (for Gillette) is agreeable to the forum participants (if they can agree on anything

I'll submit the suggestion to Susanna Parkhouse (seminar chair). She also keeps track of meetings, etc to insure there are facilities to accomodate them.
    FYI: She usually sends out the seminar/meeting request in January/February to begin organizing them.
    Ride Hard, go far, and keep smilin...

Karol Patzer, Ambassador, Director MOA Foundation
    2008/2014 BMW MOA Rally Chair

Thanks Karol. Just wanted to get the ball rolling on something constructive for Gillette and beyond. Now I know who to follow up with

You are right, by nature the forum is poor at agreeing on anything even when we are getting along and happy. That is why I suggest we do this in a more formal manner. I know the Rally chairs will be able to figure it out and with almost a year to prepare the forum members might figure it out also.

Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

St. Paul Pioneer Press , Minneapolis Star Tribune

I missed the forum frenzy Thursday (my fault) and I didn't bring any forum type I.D. because I thought nobody would want to meet the firewoks lightin', laced boots wearin', wiseguy.
    I will wear something appropriate in Gillette, at least to give people a chance to run the other way.
    19 BMWMOA Nationals under my belt, and I have no idea what I am doing.

Way cool, we can argue in person! Just kidding.

I think the idea's great and am in as long as I make it to Gillette (which is the current plan).
    Steve Marquardt, 2004 R1150RT

Once there was a Tavern PAULBACH's Avatar
    Ballston Spa, NY; South of the Adirondacks, North of the Catskills and West of The Berkshires and Green Mountains
    Quote Originally Posted by k75karol View Post
    Paul's correct....sounds like a well-thought out proposal. There's plenty of time to make sure date and time (for Gillette) is agreeable to the forum participants (if they can agree on anything
    We usually agree to disagree!

Halifax and Larry's River, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Count us in as support, attendees and, where applicable, any assistance. This is a wonderful idea. ..... sounds like a blind date too "is it just me or is it hot in here?" -Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com
    Salty Fog Riders Motorcycle Tourism Promotions
    Larry's River, Nova Scotia, CANADA

HODAG
    Quote Originally Posted by jdmetzger View Post
    It's early enough that beer wouldn't be needed.
    bloody mary's?

Quote Originally Posted by PAULBACH View Post
    We usually agree to disagree!
    That's o.k.....we'll even have cheese to go with the whine. (you'll notice Gillette likes Wisconsin too!!)
    Last edited by R1100rtp; 02-01-2008 at 06:06 PM.
    Ride Hard, go far, and keep smilin...

Karol Patzer, Ambassador, Director MOA Foundation
    2008/2014 BMW MOA Rally Chair

Sounds like something we'd all enjoy! Let's make it happen!
    2012 R1200GS

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad

Good idea,we get a chance to meet Knary-the webmaster

oh sorry,I mean"information architect".I love that title.