Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Future Rally Site question

Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    uhh.... work comes first, murphy....

major deadline was met friday, a million details and guess who is responsible if one of them hits the floor?

deadline was met, client is happy, and their agency hopped on his bike to ride for the weekend.

three hours out of my weeked was occupied with rally site selection business... TOP SECRET

the information was just sent to you today.

ian
    Thanks Ian! Wasn't an issue for me about the info... I was just kidding Karol about "timely". Sometimes things can be read into the writen word, versus inflection of the verbal. Hope I can help out with a little leg work, and zap to you all the information I can uncover - contacts, phones numbers, so forth. Or that this area just plain won't work.
    Congrats on keeping the client happy. If the client is happy ($$) then Mama is happy. At least that's the way it works at my house!
    Murph
    Murphy Peoples
    South Carolina
    1980 BMW R100T
    www.projectbmwr100s.com

I would surely second a vote for the upstate of South Carolina! Beautiful riding areas close by. I'm not sure of the facilities up there. How about the Donaldson Center area west of Greenville. Didn't they used to host Freedom Weekend Aloft? Might want to also check the Anderson and Seneca areas. Maybe Clemson would host us? Karol mentioned the Columbia fair grounds, which would be big enough, but further from good riding and HOT! Anyway Murph, let me know what you hear.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by MurphyPeoples View Post
    Within less than 1 hour of the Greenville grounds is the Blue Ridge Parkway.
    about 1.4 hours is Asheville NC
    about 2 hours is Maggie Valley and the Wheels through time Museum.
    about 2.5 hours is Deals Gap aka The Dragons Tail
    about 2.7 hours is Charleston SC
    Those look further than the mileage people are complaining about to get to good roads and scenic sites from Gillette. Be prepared for complaints. I don't mind either way, I come to the Nat'l for the people. It sounds like a great place for a Nat'l. I am still trying to figure out where we could have in in the LaCrosse area of Wisconsin.
    19 BMWMOA Nationals under my belt, and I have no idea what I am doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapid_Roy View Post
    Those look further than the mileage people are complaining about to get to good roads and scenic sites from Gillette. Be prepared for complaints. I don't mind either way, I come to the Nat'l for the people. It sounds like a great place for a Nat'l. I am still trying to figure out where we could have in in the LaCrosse area of Wisconsin.
    Roy you could be right. I travel ALOT for my job (Shell Oil Fluid Tech) and think nothing of riding two hours between appointment. Hitting the Blue Ridge in under an hour is like around the block to me!

LT- I think the Hot Air Ballon Freedom Aloft has been moved twice in the last two years. Once in Anderson and then in Simpsonville this past year. Both have huge areas, but I'm thinking of looking for facilities as close to the Zentrum as possible for a couple of reasons. The local news outlets have supported Bike and Cars shows there extremely well, BMW is always accomodating, and finally the local populace tends to turn out very well for these events. It might turn out that there is no place accomodating... we'll see.

As LT knows we hold an annual BMW Golf Tourney fundraiser which Kevin Costner is a big part of every year, and a couple of other large events (we just held some kind of World Series of Baseball which bought in around 12,000 people...okay okay so I don't follow the small sports scene... sue me.)
    Murph
    Murphy Peoples
    South Carolina
    1980 BMW R100T
    www.projectbmwr100s.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rapid_Roy View Post
    Devils Tower-65 Miles
    Black hills-141 miles
    Great GS riding, desert and sandy miles of roads EXACTLY 35 miles on I-90 to obscure turn off. Too many other back country public roads (I call them trails) to begin to count.

Hills and Twisties in the Big Horn mountains outside of Buffalo- 69 miles
    GS Mountain "scare the hell out of you" GS public "roads"- 100 miles on the nose.

Great friends-elbow up to the bar- 3 feet.

Whats amatter with having a Rally at Gillette? Nothing!

Quote Originally Posted by LTrider View Post
    I would surely second a vote for the upstate of South Carolina!

me, too! it's not what you think about when you think about south carolina.

speaking of the unfriendly enforcement issue in the past, and not having read every post in this thread, the event people were talking about was *not* the RA rally (huge change of heart in graham county, nc btw... for those who know... they now have promotional contests to attract riders to the area), it was a local charity event in spartanburg, sc where some of the bmw officials participated. there was an overly-agressive enforcement operation, and some specific harassament at the event where identies were checked and recorded. fwiw, things have really changed there, too.

murphy is going to send me some location information, i've sent him the basic reqirements.

murphy - if you could send me the specifics off-line, i'll be able to check them out in the next three weeks. if you want to ride together and check them out, let me know. i'll bring the airhead g/s

ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.

Ian,

You and Murphy let me know if you get together to tour locations...would love to join in for the ride if it's OK.

Quote Originally Posted by LTrider View Post
    Ian,

You and Murphy let me know if you get together to tour locations...would love to join in for the ride if it's OK.
    absolutely.

i've just contacted murphy off-line, but don't have your em address (except by sending through this forum)

could you please send me your contact info? ians@bellsouth.net

Smile South Carolina has some MOA history.

Table Rock,SC
    Table Rock State Park
    site of the 2nd BMWMOA National Rally in 1974.

MY FIRST MOA NATIONAL!

I've been back to Table Rock since '74, and it is still lovely but way too small for a current National. The roads in the SC mountains are great. It would be nice to have a National Rally at the BMW Factory, especially if the performance center could be worked in. Hey, given the talk about "regional nationals", (a smaller version of a MOA National Rallies in different areas and times), maybe the SC site could work for one of those sites. Hmm, worth a thought.
    Onward, through the fog!

Quote Originally Posted by Rev.Willie View Post
    Table Rock,SC
    Table Rock State Park
    site of the 2nd BMWMOA National Rally in 1974.

MY FIRST MOA NATIONAL!
    1974?

dude, you are OLD!

i love table rock park, and the whole upstate area.

willie... be sure to be combing the woods in your area, too.

ian

1974?

dude, you are OLD!
    No, I started YOUNG, have not gotten to OLD yet.

willie... be sure to be combing the woods in your area, too.

ian
    I love talking to facility people and run out a couple of size requirements, the size of the crowd, the size of the CAMPERS!. Oh, it's so much fun watching their eyes widen and the color washing out of their face! Shock has value.
    Onward, through the fog!

Slowpoke & Proud of It! BRADFORDBENN's Avatar
    I might grow old, but I do not have to grow up.

Growing older beats the alternative.
    -=Brad

It isn't what you ride, it is if you ride

Hey LT! I'll ride with you sometime! It was 103 degrees here in Clinton today. Whew! I can't do the ride when Ian comes to check things, as I have two young daughters that love to Surf with their old man. (Yes, Ian I'm old enough to know Murph the Surf ) so we'll be heading to the beach for that Labor Day weekend. I really look forward to meeting local BMW brothers.

As a Nube... anyone know of MOA events here our people in SC get together?
    Murphy
    Murphy Peoples
    South Carolina
    1980 BMW R100T
    www.projectbmwr100s.com

Murph,

A great rally to go to in the spring is over in Hiawasee, Georgia (I think Ian helps out with that). I don't currently know of any in South Carolina (maybe we'll start one!). The heat is even worse down here (Columbia). I think it hit around 105 today. E-mail me at jemens@aol.com, and we'll get together for a ride.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by MurphyPeoples View Post
    Hey LT! I'll ride with you sometime! It was 103 degrees here in Clinton today. Whew! I can't do the ride when Ian comes to check things, as I have two young daughters that love to Surf with their old man. (Yes, Ian I'm old enough to know Murph the Surf ) so we'll be heading to the beach for that Labor Day weekend. I really look forward to meeting local BMW brothers.

As a Nube... anyone know of MOA events here our people in SC get together?
    Murphy
    Murphy,
    Good for you for taking an active part in the club, new guy or not your input is just as relevant & useful as anyone else's.

I agree that upstate SC is a nice location for riding and there is lots to see & do. Having said that, my concern would be the heat/humidity in July. I'm of the belief that the Rally dates should be flexible in order to allow for all areas of the country to be considered (ie. Spring or Fall dates to take advantage of southern locations), but that line of thinking is not currently in vogue with the MOA leadership. I guess what I'm saying is that before you go too far, you may want to run some climate data to see what the realities are.

Ride safe,
    George