Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 48

Thread: Future Rally Site question

  1. #16
    Registered User MurphyPeoples's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    212
    Quote Originally Posted by Statdawg View Post
    In Spartenburg, isn't that the place BWM Xplor might set up a GS School that will rival the one in Europe ? I thought I heard that from an Xplor Customer Service Rep at West Bend. Maybe it is a site for just a weekend with Jerry Lewis ?
    Okay - I talked with Annette at the BMW driving School this morning (website is here: http://www.bmwusa.com/bmwexperience/...ter/school.htm )

    she said that INDEED the Performance Center IS in Discussion about providing a BMW GS Cycle School at the facility. She said that right now, they are taking names and phone numbers from interested parties who would like to be contacted for initial start up classes. At that point the proper representative from the school will contact you and provide information. I just put my name on the list!
    If you're interested call:
    1-888-345-4269

    I'll post this info over in another forum too.

    Hope this helps!
    Murphy
    Murphy Peoples
    South Carolina
    1980 BMW R100T
    www.projectbmwr100s.com

  2. #17
    X-Mileage tabulator R1100rtp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    St. Paul, MN
    Posts
    711
    Quote Originally Posted by MurphyPeoples View Post
    There are 3 fair grounds within 30 minutes of the BMW plant... 2 if you take out Spartanburg's. Since they're all privately owned I don't think it would be an issue to get beer permits and so forth.
    Murph
    If you've seen the grounds and they meet the site selection criteria, you might want to contact the RSSC chair, Chuck Manley with contact names and fairground specifics if you have them. cmanley@bmwmoa.org
    Ride Hard, go far, and keep smilin...

    Karol Patzer, Ambassador, 2014 BMW MOA Rally Chair
    Visit St. Paul July 24-27, 2014

  3. #18
    Registered User MurphyPeoples's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    212
    Quote Originally Posted by k75karol View Post
    If you've seen the grounds and they meet the site selection criteria, you might want to contact the RSSC chair, Chuck Manley with contact names and fairground specifics if you have them. cmanley@bmwmoa.org
    Karol - thanks for the heads up. I've been to two of the three - Laurens County and Spartanburg County fairgrounds, but not Greenville's. I'll check out the criteria and make some calls, then take your advice. I'll post what I find out back here.
    Murph
    Murphy Peoples
    South Carolina
    1980 BMW R100T
    www.projectbmwr100s.com

  4. #19
    Registered User Rod Sheridan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Toronto Ontario
    Posts
    963
    Hi Murphy, I was responding to your question regarding whether there had been a rally in Spartanburg.

    I did not indicate that I felt Spartanburg was a poor choice, simply that there had been events in the area.

    Regards, Rod.
    Work is the curse of the riding class

  5. #20
    Registered User godfather's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Cadillac, MI area
    Posts
    512
    Thanks for your work and insight Murph. I hope this will work out.
    Attitude is everything!
    1978 R100/7
    08' V-Strom 650 great light weight tourer

  6. #21
    X-Mileage tabulator R1100rtp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    St. Paul, MN
    Posts
    711
    Quote Originally Posted by MurphyPeoples View Post
    Karol - thanks for the heads up. I've been to two of the three - Laurens County and Spartanburg County fairgrounds, but not Greenville's. I'll check out the criteria and make some calls, then take your advice. I'll post what I find out back here.
    Murph
    Looks like Columbia has a big FG too, but it's hard to tell from the web.
    Ride Hard, go far, and keep smilin...

    Karol Patzer, Ambassador, 2014 BMW MOA Rally Chair
    Visit St. Paul July 24-27, 2014

  7. #22
    HODAG
    Guest
    for some odd reason having it on the Greer Zentrum grounds sounds like a grand Idea.
    Its Home of the only US BMW manufacturing facility, they have the acreage, great riding, even better hospitality (since they got rid of mini bottles)

    but would "BMW" have us?

  8. #23
    Registered User MurphyPeoples's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    212
    I think that not only would BMW have us... they'd embrace us. At least that's the feedback I get from the folks at the plant.

    Karol I contacted Ian Wednesday morning (my regional Rally guy) and he said he'd e-mail me the fairground requirements, to which I told him I'd gladly make a few phone calls to see if any of the sites met them - then pass the information back to him for follow up. I haven't seen this e-mail yet.

    One thing (and I want to be delicate about this).... I'm new to the club so I don't know the politics of it yet (or if there even ARE politics)... but last night it crept into my mind that this whole "Rally Site" question might be a Political Frying Pan. Regions working to get the Rally in "their" area over other Regions... Local MOA Rally officials having their own "favorite" place they want to see the Rally- and fighting to make sure that happens... and similar thoughts.

    I'm not "trying" to be paranoid, but I was a Member of the PCA for years (Porsche), and there was always some kind of power stuggle no matter which region you lived in. I just chalked it up to "Porsche Owners" (and is one of the reasons I no longer own one). In fact if a Nube brought up this idea over there, it would have been dismissed summarily. Thus my initial reaction to comments on this string when I floated the idea. I thought I was in the PCA all over again.
    Murph
    Murphy Peoples
    South Carolina
    1980 BMW R100T
    www.projectbmwr100s.com

  9. #24
    Jim Bud
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Sedalia, CO
    Posts
    651
    Quote Originally Posted by MurphyPeoples View Post
    I think that not only would BMW have us... they'd embrace us. At least that's the feedback I get from the folks at the plant.

    Karol I contacted Ian Wednesday morning (my regional Rally guy) and he said he'd e-mail me the fairground requirements, to which I told him I'd gladly make a few phone calls to see if any of the sites met them - then pass the information back to him for follow up. I haven't seen this e-mail yet.

    One thing (and I want to be delicate about this).... I'm new to the club so I don't know the politics of it yet (or if there even ARE politics)... but last night it crept into my mind that this whole "Rally Site" question might be a Political Frying Pan. Regions working to get the Rally in "their" area over other Regions... Local MOA Rally officials having their own "favorite" place they want to see the Rally- and fighting to make sure that happens... and similar thoughts.

    I'm not "trying" to be paranoid, but I was a Member of the PCA for years (Porsche), and there was always some kind of power stuggle no matter which region you lived in. I just chalked it up to "Porsche Owners" (and is one of the reasons I no longer own one). In fact if a Nube brought up this idea over there, it would have been dismissed summarily. Thus my initial reaction to comments on this string when I floated the idea. I thought I was in the PCA all over again.
    Murph

    Now that you mention it.......SC is pretty far from.....SoCal........so, except for the fact that I love a cross country run.......having it in SC sucks......can't wait for a rally in SC..........
    Jim Bud...

  10. #25
    X-Mileage tabulator R1100rtp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    St. Paul, MN
    Posts
    711
    Quote Originally Posted by MurphyPeoples View Post
    One thing (and I want to be delicate about this).... I'm new to the club so I don't know the politics of it yet (or if there even ARE politics)... but last night it crept into my mind that this whole "Rally Site" question might be a Political Frying Pan. Regions working to get the Rally in "their" area over other Regions... Local MOA Rally officials having their own "favorite" place they want to see the Rally- and fighting to make sure that happens... and similar thoughts.

    I'm not "trying" to be paranoid, but I was a Member of the PCA for years (Porsche), and there was always some kind of power stuggle no matter which region you lived in. I just chalked it up to "Porsche Owners" (and is one of the reasons I no longer own one). In fact if a Nube brought up this idea over there, it would have been dismissed summarily. Thus my initial reaction to comments on this string when I floated the idea. I thought I was in the PCA all over again.
    Murph
    No suggestion from a member (new or otherwise) would be dismissed. It's difficult enough to find suitable locations without dismissing facilities that will accomodate the crowd!! Our Rally Site Search Team is open to suggestions, and during my board term I've never heard of a "favorite" place for the rally. If the grounds can accomodate us, and meets the criteria, they are considered as potential locations. Usually something is a "deal killer", and it's often the sale of beer.

    Ian's a good guy to work with, and I'm sure he'll get the info to you in a timely fashion.
    Ride Hard, go far, and keep smilin...

    Karol Patzer, Ambassador, 2014 BMW MOA Rally Chair
    Visit St. Paul July 24-27, 2014

  11. #26
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    158

    Barber Musum

    Spartanburg sounds like a great venue, and - the Barber Museum, located in Birmingham, Alabama, is about 300 miles (5 hours) to the southwest. That would be a good place to stop and spend a day (or two) en route to or returning from the rally. There's plenty to see and do at the Barber grounds.

  12. #27
    Registered User MurphyPeoples's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    212
    Quote Originally Posted by nortonrt View Post
    Spartanburg sounds like a great venue, and - the Barber Museum, located in Birmingham, Alabama, is about 300 miles (5 hours) to the southwest. That would be a good place to stop and spend a day (or two) en route to or returning from the rally. There's plenty to see and do at the Barber grounds.
    Within less than 1 hour of the Greenville grounds is the Blue Ridge Parkway.
    about 1.4 hours is Asheville NC
    about 2 hours is Maggie Valley and the Wheels through time Museum.
    about 2.5 hours is Deals Gap aka The Dragons Tail
    about 2.7 hours is Charleston SC

    Lots to do within a mornings ride of the area. Not to mention the BMW Performance Center Track, possibility of the GS Motorcycle riding school installation at the Center by Future Rally Time, the BMW Museum, and of course VIP Plant Tours for BMW owners of any machine.

    Can you see why I like living here?
    Murph
    Murphy Peoples
    South Carolina
    1980 BMW R100T
    www.projectbmwr100s.com

  13. #28
    Registered User MurphyPeoples's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    212
    Quote Originally Posted by k75karol View Post

    Ian's a good guy to work with, and I'm sure he'll get the info to you in a timely fashion.
    After a short conversation last Tuesday, and a reminder Voice Mail to him this past Friday... still no e-mail regarding the fairground requirements. Oh well.. it's always interesting to see what is other peoples idea of "timely".
    Murph
    Murphy Peoples
    South Carolina
    1980 BMW R100T
    www.projectbmwr100s.com

  14. #29
    It is what it is. Bud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Flyover Country = Southern Illinois
    Posts
    6,493
    Quote Originally Posted by MurphyPeoples View Post
    After a short conversation last Tuesday, and a reminder Voice Mail to him this past Friday... still no e-mail regarding the fairground requirements. Oh well.. it's always interesting to see what is other peoples idea of "timely".
    Murph

    Murph,

    He's a volunteer like the rest of us and has a life outside MOA. Since the next rally site is picked and the next 2 after that are most likely narrowed down to a few sites, there is plenty of time left.

    That said, the location you are suggesting is very interesting and I hope it can qualify as a rally site.

    Thanks for doing the leg work to find out.

    Regards
    Ride Well, Ride Often, Ride to

    Charter Member "High Town" crew.

  15. #30
    look out!!! Visian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    ATL/WNC
    Posts
    8,432
    Quote Originally Posted by MurphyPeoples View Post
    After a short conversation last Tuesday, and a reminder Voice Mail to him this past Friday... still no e-mail regarding the fairground requirements. Oh well.. it's always interesting to see what is other peoples idea of "timely".
    Murph
    uhh.... work comes first, murphy....

    major deadline was met friday, a million details and guess who is responsible if one of them hits the floor?

    deadline was met, client is happy, and their agency hopped on his bike to ride for the weekend.

    three hours out of my weeked was occupied with rally site selection business... TOP SECRET

    the information was just sent to you today.

    ian

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •