Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Future Rally Site question

Future Rally Site question

Hey everyone. This question has probably been asked in the past, but being a "nube" to the club... I'll throw it out there.

Has the Rally ever been held in, or been considered to be held in, Spartanburg SC? I've only lived here for about 5 years, so I'm not sure. The reason I ask is that the BMW Manfacturing Plant hosts several "Wheels" shows every year. The biggest being for the owners of cars that were built at the plant. This Rally lasts 3 days. Now hang on a second and let me explain if you're not familiar with the BMW plant.

They have a wonderful Museum that includes amoungst other things a very nice Motorcycle Display of some very famous BMW's. I'd say there's about 15 or more BMW motorcycles, plus engines that are "cut open" for display. Plus plants tours and so forth. You can check out a quick picture of some of the bikes here on my website:
    http://www.projectbmwr100s.com/proje...June_2007.html

It is incredible the way that BMW rolls out the red carpet for the owners Rally. They allow all functions to be set up on their grounds around the "Zentrum" (Museum) along with hundreds of cars for display. I should think they would be thrilled to have a BMW Motorcycle rally held here too.
    Wouldn't surprise me if Motorrad came from Germany for the event. I'm a Fluid technician that deals with the BMW plant on a weekly basis. I've been honored to have been invited and visited their plants in Dingolfing and Munich for work purposes. These folks take great pride in their product, and I really think that our Rally would be warmly welcomed.

Just a thought.
    Sincerely,
    Murphy
    Murphy Peoples
    South Carolina
    1980 BMW R100T
    www.projectbmwr100s.com

ABC,AMA(LIFE),MOA,RA,IBMW MANICMECHANIC's Avatar
    You might ask about the BMWRA rally held in Spartanburg a few years ago. Seems there was a big to-do involving the local sheriff, state police, etc.
    F.O.G.Rider, Rounder #6,
    Ambassador, Biergarten co-chair
    BMWRA Wisconsin Region Rep, camping chair

Quote Originally Posted by manicmechanic View Post
    You might ask about the BMWRA rally held in Spartanburg a few years ago. Seems there was a big to-do involving the local sheriff, state police, etc.
    I've never heard this. Anyone????
    -Murphy
    Murphy Peoples
    South Carolina
    1980 BMW R100T
    www.projectbmwr100s.com

rally problem

Actualy the problem with the sheriff was the Fontana R A Rally.

I heard about a problem with a motorcycle fund raiser at Spartanburg several years ago that had trouble with the police but I don't believe it was a BMWRA rally. Was there ever a BMWRA rally in Spartanburg?
    2004 R1150RT 145,700 miles
    1991 K100LT 126,700 miles
    1982 R100RT 106,900 miles
    Total 379,300 BMW miles

In case anyone's interested.. .here's the Website for the BMW Zentrum/Museum which sits in front of the BMW Manufacturing plant. They hold the rally's on the lawn in front of the fountains.
    Murphy

http://www.bmwzentrum.com/

Here's the interactive Motorcycle Exhibit page. These shows only a handful of what's in the Museum.

http://www.bmwzentrum.com/exhibits/motorcycles.asp
    Murphy Peoples
    South Carolina
    1980 BMW R100T
    www.projectbmwr100s.com

Do a search, somewhere around here are the requirements for a site for the MOA rally. It includes things like 2,000 hotel rooms within 20 miles, 100,000 square feet of vendor space, the ability for the MOA to conduct its own beer sales, and so on.

I did a search through most of the California county fairgrounds and found maybe one or two that met these requirements. It's rather daunting.
    --Darryl Richman, forum liaison
    http://darryl.crafty-fox.com

Quote Originally Posted by manicmechanic View Post
    I believe that was Fontana Village. (NC) Helicopters flying over, police baiting riders on Deal's Gap, etc. It was the sheriff who's since deceased.

I think the Spartanburg SC discrimination issue was a fund raiser. The AMA worked that incident pretty hard to represent us.
    Ride Hard, go far, and keep smilin...

Karol Patzer, Ambassador, 2014 BMW MOA Rally Chair
    Visit St. Paul July 24-27, 2014

http://www.mrf.org/pdf/WhitePapers/V...BikeHaters.pdf

The above link should give you some background on Fontana and Spartanburg

Regards, Rod.
    Work is the curse of the riding class

Quote Originally Posted by RODSHERIDAN View Post
    http://www.mrf.org/pdf/WhitePapers/V...BikeHaters.pdf

The above link should give you some background on Fontana and Spartanburg

Regards, Rod.
    The article you linked to is over 13 years old. I've lived in the Greenville/Spartanburg area for 7 years and will say that in my time we have a VERY supportive local law enforcement agency. Most of whom RIDE motorcycles. In fact our state troopers ride BMW's here in the upstate! We also have one of the strongest chapters of "Patrioit Riders" in our area, attending both veteran and law enforcement funerals.

I find it sad that I've thrown an idea out there for a future spot, and only negative history (some of it rumored in the article) are the replies. Though I've never been to a BMW MOA Rally... this gives me an understanding for the writer of the post "This is going to be unpopular".
    Murphy
    Murphy Peoples
    South Carolina
    1980 BMW R100T
    www.projectbmwr100s.com

Quote Originally Posted by MurphyPeoples View Post
    The article you linked to is over 13 years old.
    Not trying to be a pain but 1998? The BMW event happened in 1997.
    It appears it's 9 years, but I get your point.
    Last edited by Rapid_Roy; 07-29-2007 at 05:14 PM. Reason: confusion
    19 BMWMOA Nationals under my belt, and I have no idea what I am doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapid_Roy View Post
    Not trying to be a pain but 1998? The BMW event happened in 1997.
    It appears it's 9 years, but I get your point.
    Well - the article starts out with the September 1994 event and cues off of that.
    Murph
    Murphy Peoples
    South Carolina
    1980 BMW R100T
    www.projectbmwr100s.com

This would, I think, be a neat place, provided it has the appropriate facilities and such. The factors that lead to the unpleasantness in Fontana have been resolved and the RA had a very successful national rally in Asheville, NC this year.

I'm not sure what the riding is like near Spartanburg, but I know the western part of the state is pretty fine.

Thanks!
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

HODAG
    greenville-spartanburg is my favorite business trip
    been there numerous times,
    I could use a sweet tea now that I think of it...

Quote Originally Posted by Statdawg View Post
    In Spartenburg, isn't that the place BWM Xplor might set up a GS School that will rival the one in Europe ? I thought I heard that from an Xplor Customer Service Rep at West Bend. Maybe it is a site for just a weekend with Jerry Lewis ?
    I'll check on this as I'm at the plant a couple of times a month doing service work. Right now they have a marvelous area that is their "Driving School". They hold classes there for both Road Course wet/dry and Off Road for the new Sport Ute they're building. It's first class all the way, and it wouldn't surprise me if they were to put in a GS school.... the terrain is already there.

BTW - thanks for the positive posts of late. There are 3 fair grounds within 30 minutes of the BMW plant... 2 if you take out Spartanburg's. Since they're all privately owned I don't think it would be an issue to get beer permits and so forth.
    Murph
    Murphy Peoples
    South Carolina
    1980 BMW R100T
    www.projectbmwr100s.com