Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: What we did at the rally

I think harry potter books come out quicker...
    I'm dying to know how it ends....

Quote Originally Posted by Statdawg View Post
    Its tough, he has work, has to unpack, press that Rally camp shirt for work, clean the Utah smoke off the / 2, pull weeds in his garden, walk the cat, and have time to run the MOA. Maybe there is more on another site ?

Sorry. We went to dinner, saw the new Harry Potter movie and are packing to go to MotoGP.

More soon. Sorry for the delay and thanks for the kind comments.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

Presented without comment.

Well, maybe one. I absolutely dig the zip tie sutures on the shield.

Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Burnszilla View Post
    Is it just me or is that head getting bigger?

ouch.

how's the leg doin man???
    04 GS ADV

Let's face it. The profile of a typical BMW rider is changing, and changing fast. Operative word in that sentence is probably "fast" given that BMW is rapidly shedding their pipe and slippers image and moving dead smack into the performance world. Ten years ago, a bike like the R1200S would have been unthinkable to BMW riders. After all, they make touring bikes, sporty touring bikes, but touring bikes nonetheless, right?

Not anymore. Did you ever think you'd see a racebike, and a championship racebike at that, parked by the BMW trailer at a national rally? Did you ever think you'd see people walking around with shirts that said N8 on them, honoring a guy that took a pretty stock R12S out, mixed it up with the big boys from Japan and Italy and took home a cup?

I know I sure didn't. I'd think back to the days of the RSS, or Reg Pridmore, or those top speed bikes they had between the wars and just sigh a little bit. The fire seemed to be out and the hearth was growing cold. BMW performance discussions usually held a little qualifier on them - "for a BMW".

It handles well, for a BMW. It's kinda fast, for a BMW. It's light, for a BMW.

Those days are gone. The factory is back to putting some meaning into the M in the company name. We've got the beginnings of a two wheel equivalent of the legendary M cars that roll out of the factory.

These are heady times to be a fan of the roundel. Bask in it, times like these are what we'll look back on in ten years, just like the car guys swoon over the 2002tii or the first M cars.

You're watching it unfold with a racing program, the HP bikes, the K1200 series.

Power.

Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Quote Originally Posted by wuli959 View Post
    great story about your grandma

but what happened to your bike's other rear view mirror?

Believe it or not, that's how it was delivered from the factory. I've got the original Bill of Sale and that's all it's got on the invoice.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Home, sweet home.

Truck, trailer, bike, beer in the fridge, a quiet place to sit.

Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

I don't know this guy, but I'd like to. He's running a /2 with a Steib and it's simply beautiful. I've always believed that motorcycles are a type of dynamic art. They're a sculpture that's meant to be seen in motion. Yeah, yeah, I've been to bike shows (see my Legend of the Motorcycle report), but there's nothing better than seeing a bike rolling down the road under it's own power. The way it moves through space, the sound, the actions of the rider; they form a whole that isn't matched by any other machinery I can think of.

There's a grace to motorcycling that's lost in the speed and noise, at least for many. But the tip into a corner, the rider so clearly operating the machine. The way the sound changes and the motions of the rider match those sounds. Motorcycles might be the original multimedia extravaganza. Perhaps this one is a bit of chamber music. So refined. So restrained, so beautiful to watch.

Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

OK, time out for the living Glockenspiel. Enough with the deep thoughts for a bit and let's have some boozy German fun. 5 guys perform on stage, doing synchronized axe chopping, sawing and beer drinking. A guy in the back plays an accordion. They do that cool slapping the thighs, slapping the feet dance thing.

It's hilarious and was so much fun I had to see it twice. I could have watched it twice more, too.

Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Spotted in the wild - one Hodag and one Jim von Baden, the R1200GS service video guy.

They both seem, well, so normal.

I didn't have much chance to talk with Jim, but I did get plenty of opportunity to talk with Mark. While he's prickly at times here, in person, I'm convinced the man would give you his last bratwurst if you asked. What a host.

Even for a guy that's most definitely an Evil Mastermind.

It was great to meet both of you. See you in Wyoming, I hope.

Last edited by KBasa; 07-20-2007 at 05:08 AM.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Also spotted - one Jon Tessler.

How's he fit all those brains in that skull?

Hell of a job on the logo, brutha.

Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

PUI, indeed.

Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

It was pretty nice to finally meet Holly, voice of reason.

She's an international environmental steward and probably smarter than any half dozen folks you know.

Did you have fun, young lady?

Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Here we are. A BMW rally deep in the heart of The Motor Company. The perception of bikes in WI is, no doubt, that of big boots, black leather and loud pipes. Motorcycle rallies are beer soaked pig roasts, with lots of skin, lots of Steppenwolf and lots of noise. Then we come along and show the other side. Bring your family. Let's shoot the breeze. Let's walk around and make some new friends. Let's have a giant German band show up and play neat German songs. And it's all going on in a way you'd be proud to take your kids to see.

These little girls have had their perception of what motorcycles are about changed. They see that motorcycling doesn't have to be about noise and some kind of antisocial costume, it can be about having fun with your friends and being inclusive of all. It can be something you want to take your kids to because you know they'll be safe, have a good time and stay out of trouble.

At a BMW rally, you're among your friends. And your friends will never let you down.

Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Aforementioned large German band playing large German songs.

Heavy metal, indeed.

Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA