Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: What we did at the rally

Here's a likely duo. The woman on the left works in the small town I lived in in Mass. when I was in high school and the woman on the right is all of 5' tall and lives in Montreal. The woman on the left, whose name I've forgotten (sorry) has an F800ST and is in love with it. Nancy Lee, on the right, was riding a well used original Honda Hurricane 600. I was standing around, sharing a beer with Vince when they wandered up, complaining that the Honda wasn't running right.

I'm a Sled Dog and one of the Sled Dog traditions is Fix The Bike. If there's a busted piece of equipment, we're going to try and fix it. So, off we went, down to see the Honda. The bike is, in a word, used. It's got duct tape holding the fairing together. It's got a Canadian Tire rattle can paint job. But it's a Honda and it's still running pretty well. Except that after she put gas in it, it started running on three cylinders.

I have her start it and gas pours out on the ground. I check the pipes and #1 isn't running. We shut it off, peel off the duct tape and remove the bodywork. We start it again and look to see where the gas is coming from. It's gushing out of the top of the #1 carb, as I suspected. Shut the bike off and the gushing stops as the vacuum operated petcock shuts down the fuel flow.

It's got crud in the float needle. I drain the #1 float bowl and the crud comes out and the bike is happy again.

The Sled Dog tradition lives, but, more importantly, the motorcycle tradition lives. If you can, you help. If you can't, you try to find someone that can. It's what we do for each other, no matter the brand.

Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

And so, on Saturday evening, the closing ceremonies came and went and it was time for us to go.

I spent some time, on the long drive home, thinking about what it is that makes this such a special event for me. I define myself as a motorcyclist. I'm not a GS rider, a vintage guy, an airhead, an RT guy or a Honda rider. I'm a motorcyclist.

I've been to Adv events, I've been to all kinds of events that target a specific niche of motorcycle enthusiast. And, I must confess, I find them a little too narrow. A bit too specific for me. I so greatly enjoy the variety of ways the folks enjoy BMW motorcycling. We've got vintage, we've got airheads, we've got an emerging population of truly sporting riders, we've got GS guys and soon, we'll have hard core dirt riders on the new 450s joining us. I'll scoot over a bit, there's room for everyone.

But I don't know of any other kind of event that brings so many kinds of riders together and allows them all to explore a little bit of each other's worlds as a BMW national rally.

And for that, I thank you all, my friends, for being part of my motorcycling life. You make me a rich man with your stories, your friendship and your enthusiasm.

Ride well, ride far and be there for your friends.

Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Quote Originally Posted by rinty View Post
    So did Jeff Dean make you an offer on the /2?

I can't remember if he has that colour yet.

Rinty

No way.

Here's the story with that bike. I'm the 4th owner. I have the original bill of sale from when the original owner picked it up at the factory in Germany. He brought it home to Oakland and later sold it to a guy in Boonville, about an hour north of me. The original owner had it for ten years, the second owner for 20 and the third owner, from whom I bought it, had it for ten. I'm now the custodian of this bike and won't sell it any time soon.

I've got a giant folder with every single service slip the bike has ever had. I'm just the caretaker for the next guy. It's a bit of bay area heritage and will never leave the bay area, while I'm alive.

We keep it in the atrium of our house so we can look at it. It's easy to push out the front door to ride, which I do regularly.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Hodag View Post
    I think harry potter books come out quicker...
    I'm dying to know how it ends....

Quote Originally Posted by KBasa View Post
    Here's a likely duo. The woman on the left works in the small town I lived in in Mass. when I was in high school and the woman on the right is all of 5' tall and lives in Montreal. The woman on the left, whose name I've forgotten (sorry) has an F800ST and is in love with it.
    That's Michele, who rode back to the rally with me from BMW Milwaukee the morning I got new tires.

Great report, Dave!

(I especially liked the Camp Beers parts, but then, I am biased...)

HODAG
    thanks for the memories...

I absolutely LOVED this thread.

Thanks Dave.
    Sue Rihn #43753
    BMW MOA Ambassador
    It's Billings in 2015! #BeTheAdventure
    Sometimes it's the bend in the road that makes life worth the ride.

These little girls have had their perception of what motorcycles are about changed. They see that motorcycling doesn't have to be about noise and some kind of antisocial costume, it can be about having fun with your friends and being inclusive of all. It can be something you want to take your kids to because you know they'll be safe, have a good time and stay out of trouble.

At a BMW rally, you're among your friends. And your friends will never let you down.
    A great insight Dave, I'm really enjoying your posts.

And Ardys Kellerman, wow! 80K is amazing for a couple of years of riding, and she does it in six months!!!

I had a nightmarish thought occur to me at the rally concerning Ardys. I met up with some of the K11 Owners Group for a meet and photo session. I had walked over. I rode my Triumph Sprint ST (bright blue, British, you couldn't miss it ) to the rally, 'cause my KRS was having fueling problems, and was kinda awkward about riding it over. As expected, the rest of the guys insisted I bring it over and I went and got it.

As I slowly made my way over through the crowd one of the attendees walked out into an intersection and stood there in my path, oblivious to me and my bike. I slow rode the bike till he decided where to head and I turned left onto the street that led to the K11 meet.

As I turned, at walking speed, a bit wide to the right to keep the bike upright I saw a lady in my path, kinda at the last second because of my attention to the guy. She was already moving over to give me room and I moved to my left to give her room. It was Ardys, being your typical polite and aware BMW rider.

The thought crossed my mind "Good Lord, what if I'd hit her ?" Gosh, I'd felt so bad and would never have been able to live it down.

I'm proud to claim her as one of our Lone Star members, along with newly minted Texans Paul and Voni Glaves.
    Mark Rooney
    Lindale, TX
    2012 Aprilia Shiver 750, 2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250SA
    ( '93 K75, '94 K75, '93 R100RT, '93 K1100RS, ? )

Very nice report, Dave! Thanks for taking the time to post it, you did good.

Thumbs up

Great thread Dave, and pics too- I couldn't put it down!

Ride safe- see you in Gillette!

Phil Keppelman #20331
    MOA Rally Stage Manager
    The shortest distance between two points.............
    ain't how I got here......

SNC1923
    Dave,

A wonderful report, replete with entertaining photos and inspired writing. It was nice running into you again and to crisscross your and Tina's path briefly one afternoon. You capture the vibe of this rally so well; I can't compare it to other nationals as it was my first. Rest assured, it won't be my last.

See you in Auburn, or Gillette, or somewhere. . . .

HODAG

I'm sitting next to Steve Reynen our newest ambassador from Depere, WI, his wife gladly shared her Kuchen with us.
    It was really neat attending the ambassador dinner even if I was diaz's date.

I'm jealous.
    Stephen Burns - 2007 R1200GS
    BMW MOA Lifetime Member
    www.burnsmoto.com

SNC1923
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnszilla View Post
    I'm jealous.
    You were missed.

I think we need an action shot!

This took about 15 shots to get but finally got one.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2000 K1200LT
    2001 R1150GS
    2009 KLR650