Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Golfcarts

Rob L

Golfcarts

I am really reluctant to bring this up, but I do think that this issue should be addressed in the future. I have attended all rallys beginning in 99 at Rhinebeck. I have never found the number of golfcarts to be a problem until this year. I counted 24 at the closing ceremony and it seemed that every time I walked through the pedestrian areas I would need to move over along with everyone else to allow the carts to pass, sometimes 2 or 3 at a time. I can understand if they are being used to transport equipment or handicapped people, but most of the time they seemed to be used for joy riding around the grounds by a select group of people. I wonder if there use should not be limited within the pedestrian areas?
    Don't take life too seriously, You won't get out alive!
    Rob

Poor man's k-bike owner kreinke's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rlitavecz View Post
    I am really reluctant to bring this up, but I do think that this issue should be addressed in the future. I have attended all rallys beginning in 99 at Rhinebeck. I have never found the number of golfcarts to be a problem until this year. I counted 24 at the closing ceremony and it seemed that every time I walked through the pedestrian areas I would need to move over along with everyone else to allow the carts to pass, sometimes 2 or 3 at a time. I can understand if they are being used to transport equipment or handicapped people, but most of the time they seemed to be used for joy riding around the grounds by a select group of people. I wonder if there use should not be limited within the pedestrian areas?
    You're just lucky I wasn't there with my Yamaha golf cart from our campground. I've got the speed governor disabled. Blurs the line between golf cart and go-cart.

Rob, I hope the following will give you an idea why we use the golf carts...

This year there were 40 golf carts on site. Some were 4 seated, several were 6 seated, some had flat beds on the back, but most were 2 seated.

The Gofers had 5 carts. They worked from 7:00am - 7:00pm Monday through Saturday delivering everything you can think of to the rally Committee Co-Chairs...tables, chairs, supplies, water, electrical items, registration supplies, seminar stuff, signs and banners, decorations, etc. They operated out of the back of the pavillion which was in the middle of the pedestrian walking area.

Security and Gate committees had a number of carts that were used to shuttle volunteers to and from gate duty. Security constantly patroled the grounds including the pedestrian area.

The 2 rally chairs and their 2 assistants each had carts and continually patroled the entire grounds attending to all sorts of details that helped make the rally run smoothly. We were on call from about 5:30am until midnight daily beginning Monday. Always checking things like garbage collection, restroom and shower conditions, and answering countless questions from our Committee chairs.

The media team used carts for VIP tours, press tours, and rally reporting. BMW MOA Headquarters staff used carts to shuttle supplies to and from the Country Store area and for VIP tours.

Being able to drive a cart to the Closing Ceremonies is a perk one gets for volunteering their entire rally week to chair or help with specific committees. Also, many of our elderly members were given rides to various rally events and activities including the Closing Ceremonies. I hope this sheds some light on our continued us of golf carts at the rally.

Chuck Manley
    Assistant to the Rally Chairs
    Co-Chair Decorations Committe
    Chuck Manley #12106
    2012 Howlin' at the Moon Rally Chair
    Ambassador, Knights of the Roundel #333, IBA Member, Life Member NRA
    Black '13 R12GSA (the Outlaw), Black '02 K12RS (157K)

HODAG
    The gofers were great.
    I used them a few times, they were friendly, fast and extremely nice people.

This was our first...

rally of any kind, and I commented to the D.A. as we strolled around all day Saturday that there was no smelly overflowing garbage ANYWHERE...
    Great Job! Kudos to all who worked and volunteered

Jeff and Sandy Sanders

hpschaaf
    As an Entertainment chairman I used a golf cart as well. The cart was used to bring the Entertainers as well as all their equipment on the grounds. This way we limited the Car/Van traffic on the grounds to a bare minimum.
    The response from the Entertainers from all days of the rally was that they were pleasantly surprised how well organized the rally was and that transport for them and their equipment was handled without interfering with the bikes, or pedestrians.
    I work Germanfest in Milwaukee for now 16 years and I know it can be annoying for visitors walking around a golf cart. But for a smooth running festival/rally they are almost absolutly necessary since many last minute things can happen and a grounds like this years rally is hard to handle on foot if it needs minutes to take care of things.
    As visitor you do not see all the hard work all volunteers and chair person have put it to make this rally the rally it was.

I am sorry for any inconvenience any golf cart has caused, but we had a fantastic rally also thanks to all the golf carts especially the goofers who did an outstanding job.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanders View Post
    rally of any kind, and I commented to the D.A. as we strolled around all day Saturday that there was no smelly overflowing garbage ANYWHERE...
    Thanks for noticing that. The exceptional job of removing garbage before anything overflowed was thanks to the Madison BMW Club, and the fairgrounds staff.

Sue Rihn #43753
    BMW MOA Ambassador
    It's Billings in 2015! #BeTheAdventure
    Sometimes it's the bend in the road that makes life worth the ride.

Yes Yes!

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Rihn-Manke View Post
    Thanks for noticing that. The exceptional job of removing garbage before anything overflowed was thanks to the Madison BMW Club, and the fairgrounds staff.
    As I mentioned in a previous post, my only requirement for a campsite is close to the "Port-a-Johns". The Port-a-Johns were extremely clean and absolutely no vile smells of any kind. The minor inconvenience of the guys cleaning them at 4:00 A.M.? was of no consequence to this camper. Then they came around again later in the day to clean them! I went to Vintage Motorcycle days in Mid-Ohio and camped during the BMW weekend and never stayed (camped) where the facilities were the filthiest and most expensive I've seen. My friends all camped at a nearby campground and I can see why.
    There are two things to aim at in life; first to get what you want, and after that to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. -Logan Pearsall Smith, essayist (1865-1946)

I think they need to have at least a couple of golf carts with lights next time. Almost stepped out in front of one at dusk - don't think they saw me either!
    '04 R1150RT

No matter where you go, there you are!

hpschaaf
    I agree with the lights. I work Germanfest right now and here at the Summerfest Grounds in Milwaukee every Golf Cart has to have lights on and a yellow strobe light on top.
    This helps so much after dark.

We cleaned out their supply of carts with lights, but unfortunately, there WERE some folks who didn't have headlights on their carts. Sometimes you have to make do with what you have.

But Hey Greg ... not to worry. --- I saw you.
    Sue Rihn #43753
    BMW MOA Ambassador
    It's Billings in 2015! #BeTheAdventure
    Sometimes it's the bend in the road that makes life worth the ride.

FINALLY, somebody did it right:)

Been to 16 National Rallies and have never seen a better one regarding potties, showers(3 rigs) and just about everything else. Most have complained about showers in the past as mostly poor and not enough of them. NOT this year! The porta pot crews were on hand most admirably and they never got out of control and the number of the portables was figured really well. What happened in Vermont last year??? Anyhow, thanks Sue and crew and I hope this one goes down as a guideline for all the future rally chairs. Somebody, probably you Sue, listened this year and its appreciated. The golf carts issue? Go figure........Good rally from a seasoned rally attendee,Randy13233 PS; here's to Gilette,WY. and I hope you rubbed off on them Sue....Happy Trails

Now if we can just get golf-carts with BMW engines in them...!
    2012 R1200GS

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad

Quote Originally Posted by The_Veg View Post
    Now if we can just get golf-carts with BMW engines in them...!
    Veg, didn't you see them? They were about 60K, 49,900 stripped.

Oh right, the GG Quads. I'm really embarrassed that I didn't think of that, since the guys who sell them are personal friends of mine. And no, they have not let me test-ride one.
    2012 R1200GS

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad