Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Sad News for Pure Stodge and MOA

DA Bauer

I just sent Attorney Bauer a note, asking if the State would also prosecute the serving establishment under third party liability.

Every year we in the beer garden must become state certified under the laws of that state. Wisconsin has clearly defined " Dram Laws".

I think that we care more over 4 days than many permanent bars do. The fact that the driver was still .12 at 8AM shows that she was a chronic over-imbiber whose tolerance was so high, and her liver so shot, that she can over drink, "function"and not metabolize it away normally.

Jim Faucher
    co-chair beer garden

Dumb Question

Dodge County Justice Facility
    3rd Floor
    210 W. Center Street
    Juneau, WI 53039
    Is this the Court house where the hearing will be as a psta. member I will be there

JCABRANES
    Quote Originally Posted by Eschwab855 View Post
    3rd Floor
    210 W. Center Street
    Juneau, WI 53039
    Is this the Court house where the hearing will be as a psta. member I will be there
    My attorney directory lists the address of the Dodge County Courthouse as:

210 W. Center Street, Juneau, Wisconsin 53039-1091, so yes, this is where the hearing will be held. See ya there.

BTW, based on the reaction I am getting, there should be a decent showing at this hearing.

mrich12000

Post They are traveling..

My prayers go out to the grieving familes.

M Richard
    3rd deg. K.O.C Advocate
    VE3CEH
    Oshawa,Ontario

Thumbs down Tragedy!

[QUOTE=DougC;222749]Wisconsin crash kills Iowa City man
    Driver charged with homicide, driving drunk

Gazette staff and Associated Press
    JUNEAU, Wis. ÔÇö A Wisconsin woman accused of killing an Iowa City man in a head-on collision Sunday has been charged with homicide, court records show.

Daniel D. Christ, 40, died when his motorcycle was struck by a car driven by Darcy L. Schehr, 27, of Hartford, Wis., around 8 a.m. Sunday, authorities said.

The accident happened on Highway 60 west of Hartford in Dodge County, SheriffÔÇÖs Department Capt. Rodney Kreitzman said. That is about 40 miles northwest of Milwaukee.

snip

So sad a loss. A husband lost, a daddy lost, a son lost, a friend lost, due to a moment's inattention, carelessness and yes criminal negligence. I feel anger, sadness and shock. At the same time Daniel was killed, I too was on highway 60 but headed East and unaware of the tragedy unfolding a few miles to the West of me. Many years ago a Michigan State Trooper told me how crazy it was to drive on any two lane highway with cars coming at you at 60 MPH while only a few feet separates you. I've pondered his comments many times while watching an approaching vehicle with a driver looking down or off to the side talking to a passenger. Are we crazy or what? Kind of puts a damper on the good time we had at the rally, eh?
    There are two things to aim at in life; first to get what you want, and after that to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. -Logan Pearsall Smith, essayist (1865-1946)

Reply from MADD

To: "'MADD Wisconsin'"
    Subject: Daniel D. Christ
    Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 17:02:25 -0500

Dear Concerned Citizens,

I apologize for the blind copy mass email. We have received many emails from people with concerns regarding the tragic death of Daniel Christ. I thought I would address you all together.

First, please let me express our deepest sympathy for the tragedy you are all dealing with right now. Our hearts go out to you and we are moved by your passion to make a difference with the issue of drunk driving. We would also like to make a difference and stop the carnage and devastation caused by drunk driving.

MADD is an organization dedicated to supporting victims. We help victims become survivors by guiding them through the grief and judicial process. We also give the victim and their family a voice if they wish us to do so. Out of respect for the victims family we do not comment on a specific case where there has been a death or injury. We will reach out to family members of Daniel and offer our support, but we will not comment on this specific tragedy without the permission of his family.

This crash is a devastating incident that will allow us to highlight the issue of drunk driving as a whole. We will do this through media contacts, press releases, interviews, etc.

Please feel free to encourage your friends, families, neighbors, or DanielÔÇÖs family members to contact us for any assistance. Thank you.

Our thoughts are with you all.

Kari

JCABRANES
    Quote Originally Posted by goldeisen View Post
    To: "'MADD Wisconsin'"
    Subject: Daniel D. Christ
    Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 17:02:25 -0500

Dear Concerned Citizens,

I apologize for the blind copy mass email. We have received many emails from people with concerns regarding the tragic death of Daniel Christ. I thought I would address you all together.

First, please let me express our deepest sympathy for the tragedy you are all dealing with right now. Our hearts go out to you and we are moved by your passion to make a difference with the issue of drunk driving. We would also like to make a difference and stop the carnage and devastation caused by drunk driving.

MADD is an organization dedicated to supporting victims. We help victims become survivors by guiding them through the grief and judicial process. We also give the victim and their family a voice if they wish us to do so. Out of respect for the victims family we do not comment on a specific case where there has been a death or injury. We will reach out to family members of Daniel and offer our support, but we will not comment on this specific tragedy without the permission of his family.

This crash is a devastating incident that will allow us to highlight the issue of drunk driving as a whole. We will do this through media contacts, press releases, interviews, etc.

Please feel free to encourage your friends, families, neighbors, or DanielÔÇÖs family members to contact us for any assistance. Thank you.

Our thoughts are with you all.

Kari
    Yeah, I got that too. My read is that MADD is telling us to step back and they'll take it from here. I don't think so... I'll be at the August 2nd hearing.

Time?

What time is the hearing?
    "What is beautiful is simple, and what is simple always works"....Kalashnikov, inventor of the AK-47.
    Currently bikeless, but looking hard! "Center yourself in the vertizontal. Ride a motorcycle...namaste' "

usafchickie
    I'm still interested in going. If there's anyone in the Minneapolis area that wants to go, contact me. Maybe we can carpool to share gas cost or I can ride with you if you take your bike to conserve gas! Thanks!

JCABRANES
    Quote Originally Posted by ultracyclist View Post
    What time is the hearing?
    1:30pm, August 2nd at the Dodge County Courthouse.

Quote Originally Posted by JCabranes View Post
    Yeah, I got that too. My read is that MADD is telling us to step back and they'll take it from here. I don't think so... I'll be at the August 2nd hearing.
    Guess I read it differently. I thought they were trying to say that they don't normally get involved in the legal (criminal) proceedings, but will help the family and friends deal with the loss if requested. Additionally, it will become another incident in what is probably a large library of drunk driving homicides they will refer to in the future. I think what you and others in the area are doing to keep public scrutiny on the proceedings is invaluable and should not be reduced in any way. Thanks for your efforts on behalf of all of us!
    Dan

JWHITE518
    Maybe I should post the letter I received from the Wisconsin DA:

Thank you for your comments. I have been preaching for years that drinking
    and driving is a very dangerous activity that kills people here in Dodge
    County. My office has put dozens of people in prison for drinking and
    driving related cases.

As for the bail, under Wisconsin Statute Sec. 969.01, if cash bail is
    imposed at all, it shall be only in the amount found necessary to assure the
    appearance of the defendant. Conditions of release, other than monetary
    conditions, may be imposed for the purpose of protecting members of the
    community from serious bodily harm. Bail is not designed to punish the
    defendant. Punishment occurs after a person is found guilty, either by
    pleading guilty or after a jury trial. In this case, the defendant was from
    the area and has no prior criminal or traffic record. The State has no
    evidence to indicate that the defendant is a risk for not appearing in
    court. The defendant was granted a $2,500.00 cash bail (Wisconsin requires
    posting the entire amount) with the terms that she maintain absolute
    sobriety, and not operate a motor vehicle.

I can assure you that we take these cases very seriously. The case will be
    handled professionally and appropriately. This defendant will first be
    treated fairly, but if found to be guilty, then firmly by my office.

Steven G. Bauer
    District Attorney
    Dodge County

3rd Floor
    210 W. Center Street
    Juneau, WI 53039
    (920)386-3610
    Fax: (920)386-3623

www.co.dodge.wi.us/da

JCABRANES
    He apparently has a canned response. I've seen the exact same letter a couple of times already.
    Last edited by JCabranes; 07-26-2007 at 01:36 AM.

JCABRANES
    For those of you travelling from a significant distance to attend the August 2nd hearing there is this kind offer from Scooter Bob, the local ABATE representative.

To: kcabranes@wi.rr.com
    Sent: Wednesday, July 25, 2007 7:08 PM
    Subject: Attending the hearing on August 2nd

Kristin,

My name is Scooter Bob Santee, Dodge County Rep for ABATE of WI. I was also disappointed to hear of the death of another rider at the hands of a careless cager. And to let her walk for $2,500 cash bond on such a serious offense is indeed an outrage.

I plan on attending this hearing with you if at all possible.

As you spread the word about the hearing, I would like to mention that the new Dodge County Courthouse has better security screening than the Milwaukee Airport. Please make sure everyone has enough time to empty pockets for the X-ray machine and the metal detector.

Also, we have 3 spare bedrooms and plenty of yard and garage space to accommodate people that need a place to stay. If more people need room, I'm sure I can find it in the neighborhood.

See you on the 2nd,

Scooter Bob Santee
    W9254 Spruce Rd.
    Beaver Dam, WI 53916
    ph 920-887-2651cell 920-210 4652scooterbob@powercom.net

I have asked Scooter Bob for his permission, and he has agreed, that anyone in need of a place to stay should contact him directly.

See you all on the 2nd.

Jack Cabranes

was the accident after the rally involving the sidecar also alcohol related??
    Gilly
    87 K75S, bought new, now sold
    07 K1200GT Bought new, now traded in
    13 C650GT
    MOA 44606