Thread: Sad News for Pure Stodge and MOA

Hybrid View

Sad News for Pure Stodge and MOA

Wisconsin crash kills Iowa City man
    Driver charged with homicide, driving drunk

Gazette staff and Associated Press
    JUNEAU, Wis. ÔÇö A Wisconsin woman accused of killing an Iowa City man in a head-on collision Sunday has been charged with homicide, court records show.

Daniel D. Christ, 40, died when his motorcycle was struck by a car driven by Darcy L. Schehr, 27, of Hartford, Wis., around 8 a.m. Sunday, authorities said.

The accident happened on Highway 60 west of Hartford in Dodge County, SheriffÔÇÖs Department Capt. Rodney Kreitzman said. That is about 40 miles northwest of Milwaukee.

Schehr was driving east when she entered ChristÔÇÖs lane, Kreitzman said. Christ tried to avoid the collision but SchehrÔÇÖs car swerved beyond the white fog line and struck the motorcycle , he said.

Schehr was charged with homicide by intoxicated use of a motor vehicle, a Class D felony punishable by up to 15 years in prison. She was released from jail after posting $2,500 cash bond. Her next court appearance, in Juneau, has been set for Aug. 2.

She was not injured in the accident, Kreitzman said. Barb McFarland, secretary of the Pure Stodge Touring Association in Iowa City, said Christ was attending the international rally of the BMW motorcyle ownersÔÇÖ group at West Bend, Wis.

She said Christ was married and the father of a son and was involved in his church and sang in the choir.

ÔÇÿÔÇÿHe is a lifetime member of the BMW Motorcyle Owners Association, and heÔÇÖs been the (local chapter) president for the past four or five years,ÔÇÖÔÇÖ she said. ÔÇÿÔÇÿHeÔÇÖs a really nice guy.ÔÇÖÔÇÖ

He was known for being safety conscious, always wearing his helmet, eye protection and other gear, McFarland said.

The day after ChristÔÇÖs death, a Florida couple who attended the same weekend rally died when their cycle and a car crashed Monday.

In Washington County, the sheriffÔÇÖs department said William A. Rourk, 67, and Arlene N. Rourk, 65, from West Palm Beach, Fla., were riding a 1993 BMW with a sidecar when they were killed in a crash.

According to the sheriffÔÇÖs department, witnesses said the motorcycle was going west on Wisconsin Highway 33, approaching a rural intersection, when traffic ahead of it slowed down and the motorcycle headed into the eastbound lane, apparently to avoid a collision with the vehicle ahead, and was hit by an eastbound car.
    '05 K1200LT Gold
    MOA Member #125415

I Used to Be Someone sheridesabeemer's Avatar
    Very sad news for the immediate families and our MOA family.
    I don't think about drunk drivers at 8 AM...
    Gail Hatch
    SheRidesABeemer's Blog
    05 R12GS
    87 K75CT

tdomek

Via con Dios, Dan.

Sincere condolences to Dan's family and to the Pure Stodge from me and all the Bahnsturmers.

His burden is lifted, he has God's speed and he knew that he was loved.

Tom Domek
    Bahnsturmer MC #138
    Ames, Iowa

hpschaaf
    Sincere condolences to both families.
    It is sad to hear news like this after a "BMW family reuinion" as one local newspaper called it.
    They will not been forgotten within the BMW family.

A sad day indeed. My condolences to all involved.
    19 BMWMOA Nationals under my belt, and I have no idea what I am doing.

JCABRANES
    She was released on $2,500.00 bond. I guess life is cheap.

http://wcca.wicourts.gov/caseDetails...w+Case+Details

I think a letter writting campaign to the Dodge County District Attorney is in order:

Steven G. Bauer
    Dodge County District Attorney
    Administration Building
    127 E. Oak Street
    Juneau, Wisconsin 53039-1329

To retain credibility please be respectful in your comments. If you would like to send me the letters so I can personally deliver them to him send them to:

Cabranes Law Offices
    1442 N. Memorial Drive
    Racine, Wisconsin 53404

I think its time our voices were heard. BTW, contact your local HOG Chapters, GWRRA, etc and get them to write too. This concerns all of us regardless of the brand we ride.

Thumbs down Tragedy!

[QUOTE=DougC;222749]Wisconsin crash kills Iowa City man
    Driver charged with homicide, driving drunk

Gazette staff and Associated Press
    JUNEAU, Wis. ÔÇö A Wisconsin woman accused of killing an Iowa City man in a head-on collision Sunday has been charged with homicide, court records show.

Daniel D. Christ, 40, died when his motorcycle was struck by a car driven by Darcy L. Schehr, 27, of Hartford, Wis., around 8 a.m. Sunday, authorities said.

The accident happened on Highway 60 west of Hartford in Dodge County, SheriffÔÇÖs Department Capt. Rodney Kreitzman said. That is about 40 miles northwest of Milwaukee.

snip

So sad a loss. A husband lost, a daddy lost, a son lost, a friend lost, due to a moment's inattention, carelessness and yes criminal negligence. I feel anger, sadness and shock. At the same time Daniel was killed, I too was on highway 60 but headed East and unaware of the tragedy unfolding a few miles to the West of me. Many years ago a Michigan State Trooper told me how crazy it was to drive on any two lane highway with cars coming at you at 60 MPH while only a few feet separates you. I've pondered his comments many times while watching an approaching vehicle with a driver looking down or off to the side talking to a passenger. Are we crazy or what? Kind of puts a damper on the good time we had at the rally, eh?
    There are two things to aim at in life; first to get what you want, and after that to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. -Logan Pearsall Smith, essayist (1865-1946)

Reply from MADD

To: "'MADD Wisconsin'"
    Subject: Daniel D. Christ
    Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 17:02:25 -0500

Dear Concerned Citizens,

I apologize for the blind copy mass email. We have received many emails from people with concerns regarding the tragic death of Daniel Christ. I thought I would address you all together.

First, please let me express our deepest sympathy for the tragedy you are all dealing with right now. Our hearts go out to you and we are moved by your passion to make a difference with the issue of drunk driving. We would also like to make a difference and stop the carnage and devastation caused by drunk driving.

MADD is an organization dedicated to supporting victims. We help victims become survivors by guiding them through the grief and judicial process. We also give the victim and their family a voice if they wish us to do so. Out of respect for the victims family we do not comment on a specific case where there has been a death or injury. We will reach out to family members of Daniel and offer our support, but we will not comment on this specific tragedy without the permission of his family.

This crash is a devastating incident that will allow us to highlight the issue of drunk driving as a whole. We will do this through media contacts, press releases, interviews, etc.

Please feel free to encourage your friends, families, neighbors, or DanielÔÇÖs family members to contact us for any assistance. Thank you.

Our thoughts are with you all.

Kari

JCABRANES
    Quote Originally Posted by goldeisen View Post
    To: "'MADD Wisconsin'"
    Subject: Daniel D. Christ
    Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 17:02:25 -0500

Dear Concerned Citizens,

I apologize for the blind copy mass email. We have received many emails from people with concerns regarding the tragic death of Daniel Christ. I thought I would address you all together.

First, please let me express our deepest sympathy for the tragedy you are all dealing with right now. Our hearts go out to you and we are moved by your passion to make a difference with the issue of drunk driving. We would also like to make a difference and stop the carnage and devastation caused by drunk driving.

MADD is an organization dedicated to supporting victims. We help victims become survivors by guiding them through the grief and judicial process. We also give the victim and their family a voice if they wish us to do so. Out of respect for the victims family we do not comment on a specific case where there has been a death or injury. We will reach out to family members of Daniel and offer our support, but we will not comment on this specific tragedy without the permission of his family.

This crash is a devastating incident that will allow us to highlight the issue of drunk driving as a whole. We will do this through media contacts, press releases, interviews, etc.

Please feel free to encourage your friends, families, neighbors, or DanielÔÇÖs family members to contact us for any assistance. Thank you.

Our thoughts are with you all.

Kari
    Yeah, I got that too. My read is that MADD is telling us to step back and they'll take it from here. I don't think so... I'll be at the August 2nd hearing.

Time?

What time is the hearing?
    "What is beautiful is simple, and what is simple always works"....Kalashnikov, inventor of the AK-47.
    Currently bikeless, but looking hard! "Center yourself in the vertizontal. Ride a motorcycle...namaste' "

JCABRANES
    Quote Originally Posted by ultracyclist View Post
    What time is the hearing?
    1:30pm, August 2nd at the Dodge County Courthouse.

Quote Originally Posted by JCabranes View Post
    Yeah, I got that too. My read is that MADD is telling us to step back and they'll take it from here. I don't think so... I'll be at the August 2nd hearing.
    Guess I read it differently. I thought they were trying to say that they don't normally get involved in the legal (criminal) proceedings, but will help the family and friends deal with the loss if requested. Additionally, it will become another incident in what is probably a large library of drunk driving homicides they will refer to in the future. I think what you and others in the area are doing to keep public scrutiny on the proceedings is invaluable and should not be reduced in any way. Thanks for your efforts on behalf of all of us!
    Dan

JWHITE518
    Maybe I should post the letter I received from the Wisconsin DA:

Thank you for your comments. I have been preaching for years that drinking
    and driving is a very dangerous activity that kills people here in Dodge
    County. My office has put dozens of people in prison for drinking and
    driving related cases.

As for the bail, under Wisconsin Statute Sec. 969.01, if cash bail is
    imposed at all, it shall be only in the amount found necessary to assure the
    appearance of the defendant. Conditions of release, other than monetary
    conditions, may be imposed for the purpose of protecting members of the
    community from serious bodily harm. Bail is not designed to punish the
    defendant. Punishment occurs after a person is found guilty, either by
    pleading guilty or after a jury trial. In this case, the defendant was from
    the area and has no prior criminal or traffic record. The State has no
    evidence to indicate that the defendant is a risk for not appearing in
    court. The defendant was granted a $2,500.00 cash bail (Wisconsin requires
    posting the entire amount) with the terms that she maintain absolute
    sobriety, and not operate a motor vehicle.

I can assure you that we take these cases very seriously. The case will be
    handled professionally and appropriately. This defendant will first be
    treated fairly, but if found to be guilty, then firmly by my office.

Steven G. Bauer
    District Attorney
    Dodge County

Dodge County Justice Facility
    3rd Floor
    210 W. Center Street
    Juneau, WI 53039
    (920)386-3610
    Fax: (920)386-3623

www.co.dodge.wi.us/da

JCABRANES
    He apparently has a canned response. I've seen the exact same letter a couple of times already.
    Last edited by JCabranes; 07-26-2007 at 01:36 AM.

Drinking and driving is never a good combination.

I hope all who are outraged at this event never drink and ride their motorcycle.
    I used to post here, but now I don't.