Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 105

Thread: Knuckleheaded Moron

  1. #76
    Stage Crew beemerPhil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Vermont, Cape Cod, my Timberline!
    Posts
    276

    Thumbs up Yeah, what he said!

    I agree with kcallstate above. Tony was pretty clear about what he was doing, and he sounded perfectly justified to me- passing someone at much greater speed, in the same lane and without warning, is dangerous- stupid dangerous, and rude. People like that give the rest of us a poorer image in the public eye, and put fellow riders at unneccessary risk, sometimes even before they get their juvenile ass run over.....

    In general, even at reasonable speed and without other traffic present, lane-sharing with someone you don't know very well is just crazy. Mistakes are too easy and too expensive. What if you have to avoid something in the road? Do you trust this rider you don't know to do exactly the right thing and not get tangled up with you? What's your life worth?

    I used to ride some of the local back roads with a couple of good friends and long-time riding buddies from back in the dirt bike days, three abreast on a two-laner at over 100mph....in a 35 zone.....but there was no traffic back then, we knew these roads like the back of our hands, and we were still in the invincible years of youth. We were very good, and very lucky as well- if I saw someone trying to do that now, I'd get off the road!

    Yeah, the older I get, the faster I was- if only we'd had digital onboard video in the '70s! I'd show these young punks a thinger two!

    Ride for some years, fall off a time or two, and if you live, you'll ride a bit differently......it's smart to use some common sense before the lack of it kills you.
    Phil Keppelman #20331
    MOA Rally Stage Manager
    The shortest distance between two points.............
    ain't how I got here......

  2. #77
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Greater Chicago area
    Posts
    78
    Congratulations TONY!

    You now have the world record time for road rage.
    Most people get over it with in a half hour, but you let it stew for how long?
    ALWAYS, a SAFE driving attitude! You get 'em.

  3. #78
    chilei
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by kcallstate View Post
    ...For the record, Tony clearly stated that he was passing in the left lane and checked to make sure he was not pulling out in front of anyone.
    No he didn't say he was passing, he clearly said that he was:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony in the first post
    I was riding in the left hand lane about 80
    Most have not blamed Tony, only pointed out that he was not being safe either... when you point a finger at another, there are four pointing back at you.

    (I can't believe I used that line but it fits so perfectly!)

  4. #79
    Registered User Rapid_Roy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Waukesha, WI
    Posts
    5,694
    Then he better find the imposter on the forum that wrote this (or you need to read the entire thread):
    Quote Originally Posted by tonynace View Post
    I don't sit in the left lane. I was in the act of passing myself, but not within somebody else lane. I do look for traffic coming up behind me but I can't exclusively look in my rear view mirror or I'd be going in the ditch and it is really hard to pick up someone when they are coming at you at that speed. So don't blame me unless you know the facts.
    19 BMWMOA Nationals under my belt, and I have no idea what I am doing.

  5. #80
    dlearl476
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by chilei View Post
    when you point a finger at another, there are four pointing back at you.
    Well, actually, three. Unless your thumb is seriously messed up. But who's counting?


    (I can't believe I used that line but it fits so perfectly!)
    And I can't believe you messed it up!

    Once again,
    • Keep Right except to pass
      Watch Your Sixes

    Safe riding everyone.

  6. #81
    LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND..
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Buffalo Grove IL
    Posts
    751
    [QUOTE=theLuz;223141]wow. I'm inpressed.
    A squid is new crotch-rocket rider that rides as if he will not live out the afternoon (and sometime they don't). All the animals described in this post are, most likely, Squid.

    sorry for not defining my terms. [/QUOTE
    When I raced, a Squid was anybody that should not be on a bike. As for the idiot who made the pass, and the rider who got passed, thank God, or whomever you pray to, that you are Both alive.

  7. #82
    Still Wondering mika's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Fly Over Land
    Posts
    10,554
    Quote Originally Posted by dlearl476 View Post
    Well, actually, three. Unless your thumb is seriously messed up. But who's counting?

    Careful, he may be Count Rugen, the six fingered man, from the movie The Princess Bride. If so he could have four fingers pointing back at him.

    Beware Rugen was an excellent swordsman, but Inigo Montoya is someplace on the forum. His name tag appeared recently in another thread.



    Sit Fido
    Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

    St. Paul Pioneer Press , Minneapolis Star Tribune

  8. #83
    belquar
    Guest
    I always find it interesting that people use the law to justify themselves. Keep right except to pass. If you don't your breaking the law. Failure to yield....if you don't your breaking the law.....what about speeding....It totally invalidates your argument to use one law to justify why you think it is ok for you to break another law.

    I am not pointing fingers. I routinely ride 80 or better on my GS. Around here the cops let you have 80 on the highway. 81 will get you pulled over.

    I don't know anyone who is perfect. Especially on the road.

  9. #84
    chilei
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Belquar View Post
    I always find it interesting that people use the law to justify themselves. Keep right except to pass. If you don't your breaking the law. Failure to yield....if you don't your breaking the law.....what about speeding....It totally invalidates your argument to use one law to justify why you think it is ok for you to break another law.

    I am not pointing fingers. I routinely ride 80 or better on my GS. Around here the cops let you have 80 on the highway. 81 will get you pulled over.

    I don't know anyone who is perfect. Especially on the road.
    You have got it (except that you think it invalidates the arguement)!!!

    Yes, I was pointing out what Tony was doing wrong. There are situations where you have to take responsibilities for your own actions contributing to a situation. I (nor did most others) did not say anything defending the guy passing while sharing a lane, that has already been established that he was wrong. But the self indignation is amazing. Tony was wrong and caused much of his anger himself, he needs to man-up and accept his responsibility. That is all.

    Passing on the right is also illegal, but from time to time, I get someone like Tony who is riding in the passing lane and I pass on the right, still illegal, but a risk that I am willing to accept as if I get in a wreck, I may also be cited and, in any event, I would have to accept that I was part of the contributing factors.

  10. #85
    donkes
    Guest
    It's a shame. If an I.Q. test were required to get a license, very few bikes and cars would be on the highway. There goes our economy.

  11. #86
    belquar
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by chilei View Post
    You have got it (except that you think it invalidates the arguement)!!!

    Yes, I was pointing out what Tony was doing wrong. There are situations where you have to take responsibilities for your own actions contributing to a situation. I (nor did most others) did not say anything defending the guy passing while sharing a lane, that has already been established that he was wrong. But the self indignation is amazing. Tony was wrong and caused much of his anger himself, he needs to man-up and accept his responsibility. That is all.

    Passing on the right is also illegal, but from time to time, I get someone like Tony who is riding in the passing lane and I pass on the right, still illegal, but a risk that I am willing to accept as if I get in a wreck, I may also be cited and, in any event, I would have to accept that I was part of the contributing factors.
    Speaking of faults....In Japan everyone involved is at fault. If you weren't there, the accident could not have happened.

  12. #87
    SoCal
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    SoCal Valley
    Posts
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by Motard View Post
    A deer jumped out in front of me in the last miles while returning from the rally. What a moron, didn't he know that I might have been killed? Am I trivializing the argument? No, regardless the debate here, endangerments to our well being and riding safety will occur next week, next year, every time we take to the road. The truth is, I and anyone reading may someday unwittingly endanger another rider, an insect in the eye, a bee in the jacket, a lapse in judgment.
    Recognize the situation, react, move on - let it go. As long as we keep riding there be plenty more challenges down the road.

    Motard
    Moron deer!! They are supposed to use the "deer crossings"

  13. #88
    BOKRIJDER
    Guest

    For what it's worth and to serve as a warning

    I've routinely seen state police patrol cars committing just the actions being discussed. The cars are running silent, no siren, no lights.
    I referring to the North East Corridor, being 95, Jersey Turnpike, Washington to New York,476, etc.
    The speed limit is 65, the great bulk of the traffic runs a minimum 73, typically 79 to 82 if moderately heavy. The general point being that if a car has been identified as a speeder, he is smok'n.
    I have always assumed that the action noted is used to ride up on very high speed offenders which may have been identified with a radar setup.

    The above has really little to do with the discussion (hmmmm argument), but since we are on the subject; a reminder to keep the head up.

    Motard

  14. #89
    belquar
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Motard View Post
    I've routinely seen state police patrol cars committing just the actions being discussed. The cars are running silent, no siren, no lights.
    I referring to the North East Corridor, being 95, Jersey Turnpike, Washington to New York,476, etc.
    The speed limit is 65, the great bulk of the traffic runs a minimum 73, typically 79 to 82 if moderately heavy. The general point being that if a car has been identified as a speeder, he is smok'n.
    I have always assumed that the action noted is used to ride up on very high speed offenders which may have been identified with a radar setup.

    The above has really little to do with the discussion (hmmmm argument), but since we are on the subject; a reminder to keep the head up.

    Motard
    Jersey is the most lenient state on speeding. I have been let go for 80/55.

  15. #90
    BOKRIJDER
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Belquar View Post
    Jersey is the most lenient state on speeding. I have been let go for 80/55.
    A month ago on the PA turnpike - 85 constant with no traffic in site, a patrol car appeared in the mirror, well here''s a trip to the magistrate. The guy waved as he cruised by and disappeared over the horizon.
    I was stunned, the officer must have been having a good day.

    Motard

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •