Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7
Results 91 to 105 of 105

Thread: Knuckleheaded Moron

  1. #91
    Registered User beemerguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Foster City, CA
    Posts
    562
    Gee, thanks Paul!!

    We only share lanes at speeds under 60..unless you're on the 405 in LA
    Greg Hutchinson
    R80G/S (4) 633CSi with 450K mile
    '68 R60/2 '88 K100RS Special Edition
    http://gregsgssite.shutterfly.com/

  2. #92
    mrich12000
    Guest

    Nice Page

    Quote Originally Posted by Ted View Post
    You just hit on one of the most irritating idiot motorcycle maneuvers that I know of - there was a sad video floating around YouTube for a while showing exactly what can happen.

    Thanks ted for that page

    Michael Richard

  3. #93
    3 Red Bricks
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pleasanton, Ca.
    Posts
    3,401
    Quote Originally Posted by cruizbz View Post
    A knuckle head is a Harley and they don't make blue K1200s bikes.

    Could your judgment also be off on the speed? I am sure, I get called a hooligan by every old geezer I pass driving a Buick doing 30 MPH in a 55 MPH zone.

    BLUE?
    I spoke with the gentleman selling this bike and he has seen several just like it in the Bay Area. Maybe they just don't send them to some parts of the country.

    http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/381745495.html

    (update 7/27/07 Oh great! He sold it and pulled the ad. But it really was a beautiful solid blue.)
    Last edited by 98lee; 07-27-2007 at 02:48 PM.
    LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

    Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

    Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

  4. #94
    3 Red Bricks
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pleasanton, Ca.
    Posts
    3,401
    I've solved the mystery!!!

    I just spoke with Cal BMW. They said that BMW offered the solid Blue K1200S in the US as a 2005 model ONLY.

    So now we know that it was a 2005 K1200S that straifed Tony.

    And we know that cruizbz either hasn't noticed them for two years or that Chicagoans do not prefer the solid colors.
    LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

    Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

    Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

  5. #95
    "hey ya'll" CABNFVR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Hendersonville, NC
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by 98lee View Post
    .... And we know that cruizbz either hasn't noticed them for two years or that Chicagoans do not prefer the solid colors.
    Not necessarily, since MR. Safety only saw the back.

  6. #96
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Coventry RI
    Posts
    29

    K-bike rider has nothing on the Romans!

    Hey, Tony... Based on my ride on Friday, you got off easy... I spent the last week in Rome and on friday I rented a bike and rode into the mountains east of the city. Quite a experience to say the least. I was passed by other motorcyclelists in my lane (not the passing lane, mind you) at quite high speeds. It happened several times and I saw each of them coming so I was ready for it but it was still wild. Even cars that passed me, didn't always move all the way over to the passing lane when passing. Sometimes they moved just a bit to the left essentially straddling both lanes. Half the car (or truck for that matter!) would be in the left half of my lane when they passed. It happened at least five times to me and I saw it happen to others all day long. It just seems to be the way it is done in Italy. Driving in the downtown Rome area was even worse but again, it just seems to be the way it works there and they are all seem to be used to it.

    So consider yourself lucky, Tony. It's crazy elsewhere!
    Keith
    MOA# 124435
    2006 R1200RT
    2005 R1150RT (sold)
    1987 Hurricane 1000 (RIP)
    1985 Suzuki GS1150ES (Still alive in friends hands)
    1982 Honda CB750F (RIP)

  7. #97
    Seattle-area Rounder OfficerImpersonator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Just north of Seattle, WA
    Posts
    2,806

    Squids

    How did the term "squids" come to define poorly trained/equipped motorcyclists?

    In the 1960's and 70's, small-town mid-western boys who had joined or were drafted into the Navy and Marines found themselves stationed in San Diego by the tens of thousands.

    Suddenly on their own for the first time in their lives, and with a tiny discretionary income to spend in a year-round riding climate, they soon took to motorcycles in droves for the fun, cheap and easy transportation bikes provide.

    These rookie untrained riders became infamous in Southern California for riding without protective gear and smearing themselves all over area roads.

    "Squids" is a slightly derogatory/teasing name for sailors, and thus the nickname for sailors on a ship was soon applied to sailors riding motorcycles and thus the term was born.

    Now the term is applied to anyone riding in an unsafe manner. Usually it involves a high performance sport bike, a poorly trained and relatively inexperienced rider, and a disdain for "sissy" protective gear. A $500 full face helmet on the head, flip-flops on the feet, and shorts and a t-shirt is the usual uniform of a mounted squid.
    Seattle, WA
    2012 R1200GSA
    2002 R1150RT-P
    1992 K75S sold

  8. #98
    JCABRANES
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by dvandkq View Post
    How did the term "squids" come to define poorly trained/equipped motorcyclists?

    In the 1960's and 70's, small-town mid-western boys who had joined or were drafted into the Navy and Marines found themselves stationed in San Diego by the tens of thousands.

    Suddenly on their own for the first time in their lives, and with a tiny discretionary income to spend in a year-round riding climate, they soon took to motorcycles in droves for the fun, cheap and easy transportation bikes provide.

    These rookie untrained riders became infamous in Southern California for riding without protective gear and smearing themselves all over area roads.

    "Squids" is a slightly derogatory/teasing name for sailors, and thus the nickname for sailors on a ship was soon applied to sailors riding motorcycles and thus the term was born.

    Now the term is applied to anyone riding in an unsafe manner. Usually it involves a high performance sport bike, a poorly trained and relatively inexperienced rider, and a disdain for "sissy" protective gear. A $500 full face helmet on the head, flip-flops on the feet, and shorts and a t-shirt is the usual uniform of a mounted squid.
    Interesting entry in wikipedia on the subject. Don't take it as gospel as wikipedia isn't always accurate but this does seem to reflect what I've heard as the origing and/or meaning of the term SQUID.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squid_(motorcycle)

  9. #99
    Seattle-area Rounder OfficerImpersonator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Just north of Seattle, WA
    Posts
    2,806
    Quote Originally Posted by JCabranes View Post
    Interesting entry in wikipedia on the subject. Don't take it as gospel as wikipedia isn't always accurate but this does seem to reflect what I've heard as the origing and/or meaning of the term SQUID.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squid_(motorcycle)
    Here's the Wiki article for those of you not inclined to follow a broken link:

    Derivative of U.S. military culture:

    * Newly-inducted sailors based in San Diego in the '60s would sometimes buy an inexpensive two-stroke motorcyle for transportation while on shore, even if they had never ridden before. So, there were large numbers of unprotected, inexperienced "marine life" squirting through traffic in a hurry and leaving a trail of black "ink" (smoke) behind them.
    * "Squid" was also a common derogatory term for sailors:
    o Recent inductees were called "squids" by more senior sailors, and
    o All sailors were called "squids" by Marines
    Seattle, WA
    2012 R1200GSA
    2002 R1150RT-P
    1992 K75S sold

  10. #100
    Registered User LENRT1200ST's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Sanderville, GA
    Posts
    392
    CJ,
    North Eastern Ohio definition of SQUID = "Stupid, Quick, Under-dressed, and Imminently Dead"

    Sorry to say, but after riding for more than 20 years I had several "near misses." Some of these tense moments were caused by riders passing me in the same lane.

    The best I could do was mind my own ride and hope we didn't tangle. Thank you, Lord.

    Len

  11. #101
    Unavailable for comment
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Wolverines released
    Posts
    1,572

    Reconstruction of the events

    If I gather what happened correctly from the events, my highly skilled associates have reconstructed the details here in a stunning, full color video.

    http://vidmax.com/index.php/videos/view/2748

    Regards,


    Randy Kasal

    ps Don't try this at home.

  12. #102
    Focused kbasa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Marin By God County, California
    Posts
    11,639
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Probably a California rider.

    Out there they call it "lane sharing."

    And they say they do it all the time.
    That's kinda true. Out here, if you catch up to another rider, you give them a minute. Try to put yourself in a position where they can see you in their mirrors. If they see you, the common courtesy is to move over and let you by, sharing the lane.

    If they see you and don't move over, well, get ready to pass them at the next opportunity.

    That said, if someone went hauling ass by me, inside my lane, at 25+ my speed, I'd be a little miffed.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

    Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

  13. #103
    JCABRANES
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by dvandkq View Post
    Here's the Wiki article for those of you not inclined to follow a broken link:
    psst... the link isn't broken.

  14. #104
    Seattle-area Rounder OfficerImpersonator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Just north of Seattle, WA
    Posts
    2,806
    Quote Originally Posted by JCabranes View Post
    psst... the link isn't broken.
    The link in question (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squid_(motorcycle) produces a page with the following text:

    Wikipedia does not have an article with this exact name. Please search for Squid (motorcycle in Wikipedia to check for alternative titles or spellings.

    * Start the Squid (motorcycle article or add a request for it.
    * Search for "Squid (motorcycle" in existing articles.
    * Look for pages within Wikipedia that link to this title.

    If a page was recently created here, it may not yet be visible because of a delay in updating the database; wait a few minutes and try the purge function. If the page has been deleted, check the deletion log, and see Why was my page deleted?.
    Maybe I'm surfing a different Internet than everyone else, but the link in the post above did not work for my browser.
    Seattle, WA
    2012 R1200GSA
    2002 R1150RT-P
    1992 K75S sold

  15. #105
    Cannonball Rider #52 darrylri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Surf City, USA (Santa Cruz, CA)
    Posts
    4,530
    Quote Originally Posted by dvandkq View Post
    Maybe I'm surfing a different Internet than everyone else, but the link in the post above did not work for my browser.
    Not a different internet, but you've managed to grab the original link without the final close parenthesis on it. It works if you get the whole thing.

    I had always heard the "Squirrelly Kid" definition.
    --Darryl Richman, forum liaison
    http://darryl.crafty-fox.com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •