Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Knuckleheaded Moron

The bottom line is I am glad you are okay and I hope the squid lives to learn.

Total Motorcycle ÔÇô online motorcycle dictionary

Squid - Acronym, SQUirrely kID. 1. In reference to younger MC riders with little respect to posted speed limit laws, self safety or safety of others. 2. Inexperienced newcomer, someone trying to ride beyond his skill level with arms flailing (like a squid) to try not to fall. This may be just a Southern term. 3. Stupidly Quick, Underdressed, Imminently Dead. 4 Any Sportbike Rider - seems this term got twisted along the way and has many meanings. 5 Sportbike riders who wear tennis shoes or flip flops, shorts, T-shirts, etc. on their nice shiny new sport bikes. 6 Anyone that rides without all proper gear , rides recklessly, or rides beyond their limits. 7. Someone who rides a sportbike on the street as if he or she were on a racetrack.
    Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

St. Paul Pioneer Press , Minneapolis Star Tribune

dlearl476
    Quote Originally Posted by tonynace View Post
    Dear dlearl476, what exactly is your agenda?
    Hypothetical post:

Quote Originally Posted by imaginaryKLTrider
    To whomever passed me on a blue K1200S leaving the rally the other day, I'm sorry if I pulled in front of you. I was probably paying a little more attention to the new exhaust I just put on my KLT than I should have been, and maybe a little less on my rearview, but boy, slow down. You scared the hell out of me, man.
    One incident, two different attitudes. Which attitude is indicative of a rider who is honest enough with themselves and humble enough to learn from their, and other's, mistakes?

Hey dimwit, I didn't pull out in front of anybody. To test a new exhaust, all you do is ride. I was still paying attention to what was going on around me. I don't know what your problem is unless you're a jerk rider like this clown.

Passes at high speed happen all the time in Europe- but drivers there are meticulously courteous, and flash their lights as warning of their intentions.

I keep very close track of my rearview mirrors- drivers/riders who don't always make me mad. Is it really that difficult to remember to look every few seconds?

But tonynace has a point- you can't watch the mirrors all the time, or you run an increased risk of finding trouble in front of you. I don't think he did anything to invite this situation- a nutcase passing at 3-digit speeds, in the same lane, is looking for release from this world- and will likely find it soon enough.

I hope he goes by himself, that's all.
    Phil Keppelman #20331
    MOA Rally Stage Manager
    The shortest distance between two points.............
    ain't how I got here......

dlearl476
    If you're too bullheaded to accept constructive criticism, I acquiesce. I've seen enough righteous indignation out of politics lately to not think there is some underlying guilt associated with it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonynace
    Knuckleheaded Moron

I would really like to find out who the knucklehead....
    Most BMW riders have the sense not to do such stupid things and if anybody knows this clown...
    Smacks a bit of George Carlin, doesn't it?
    Quote:
    Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?
    George Carlin
    From these comments,
    Quote:
    I can't exclusively look in my rear view mirror or I'd be going in the ditch and it is really hard to pick up someone when they are coming at you at that speed.... I can't watch the mirror very much while I'm passing: I'm too busy concentrating on passing.
    I gather that you glanced in your rear-view and failed to see an approaching rider prior to changing lanes. You just invoked the "left-turning little old lady" clause: "I didn't' even see him", and called him names, to boot. btw, turn signals? I noticed that you didn't mention them. I hope that's simply an omission and not because you were "too busy concentrating on passing" to use them.

Quote:
    You however, seem determined to make me out to be the bad guy in this situation.
    No, actually I'm not. I'm hoping I can help you look at it from another angle, and perhaps see what YOU could have done differently to avoid the situation. I know that had I found myself in that situation that's what I would do, since I long ago realized that I have absolutely no control over what other people do on the road, and that I'm all on my own when it comes to getting myself home in one piece.

Quote:
    I was legally passing in the left lane.
    Really? The speed limit is 80+ mph in WI?

Quote:
    What that idiot did was plain wrong and could have resulted in two fatalities.
    I will humbly submit, again, that there are two sides to every story. I'm not condoning what he did out of hand, but without the other side, who knows where the fault lies.

Quote:
    Do you ride like that?
    No, like Bubba I never pass anyone at more than 10+ the speed limit. But HAD I been doing a ton, say with someone right behind me, and was slowing down when you changed lanes in front of me, yes, I would pass you rather than risk being hit from behind as I braked to avoid you. Probably given you an ADVrider salute to let you know you're "#1 in my book", too.

Have a nice life. Good luck out there (you'll need it). Here's to hoping the rest of the world acknowledges your "King of the Road" status and stays out of "your own lane".

USERNAME
    Quote Originally Posted by tonynace View Post
    Hey dimwit, I didn't pull out in front of anybody. To test a new exhaust, all you do is ride. I was still paying attention to what was going on around me. I don't know what your problem is unless you're a jerk rider like this clown.
    [clears throat]

let's give the name calling a rest.

state laws

glad you're ok; FWIW I saw very few unsafe acts on the trip out, during and returning from the rally; also, many states do not require the left lane to be used exclusively as a passing land on divided highways; i.e. you can drive in the left lane all day and all night, if you choose; this also means that it is ok to pass in the right lane; you need to check you home state or state in which you travel to ascertain the local rules.

BOKRIJDER
    David points out a new riding reality facing any rider operating in most major US metropolitan areas. Leading and trailing the 'peak period' slowdown, traffic routinely moves at 76 to 83 MPH, with minimal traffic separation, with vehicles pushing the limit and passing well near the ton, and with a mix of cell phones and other distractions. Getting rear ended at speed is a genuine concern. The use of escape routes and maneuvers which in a more normal circumstance would be considered rude must often be used for one's survival. Riders in these areas have developed a very keen eye for the rear mirrors.

Motard

[QUOTE=cruizbz;223211][QUOTE=98lee;223163]

So, exactly how many blue K1200 s bikes have you seen in the U.S.?

does blue & white count? see a lot of these and one is at local dealer

and any pass in the same lane without notice is asking for trouble... you expect it in California and are very aware of it( been there,done that)..not Wisconsin!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Quote Originally Posted by dlearl476 View Post
    If you're too bullheaded to accept constructive criticism, I acquiesce. I've seen enough righteous indignation out of politics lately to not think there is some underlying guilt associated with it.

I am perfectly willing to accept constructive criticism where it is warranted. However, I'm not willing to accept criticism from someone who did not even witness the incident and for some reason is trying to pin the blame on me.

Smacks a bit of George Carlin, doesn't it?

From these comments,
    I gather that you glanced in your rear-view and failed to see an approaching rider prior to changing lanes. You just invoked the "left-turning little old lady" clause: "I didn't' even see him", and called him names, to boot. btw, turn signals? I noticed that you didn't mention them. I hope that's simply an omission and not because you were "too busy concentrating on passing" to use them.

I was already in the passing lane for several seconds before this incident. And yes, I signaled.

No, actually I'm not. I'm hoping I can help you look at it from another angle, and perhaps see what YOU could have done differently to avoid the situation. I know that had I found myself in that situation that's what I would do, since I long ago realized that I have absolutely no control over what other people do on the road, and that I'm all on my own when it comes to getting myself home in one piece.

Really? The speed limit is 80+ mph in WI?

I think that you would find that most BMW riders exceed the speed limit on passing like most everybody else on the road. Speed is not a factor in most of these incidents. BMW motorcycles are designed to safely travel at high speeds. What is a factor are incidents of reckless behavior like the one I have cited.

I will humbly submit, again, that there are two sides to every story. I'm not condoning what he did out of hand, but without the other side, who knows where the fault lies.

Apparently you are. Even if, as you think, I pulled out in front of him, which I did not as I was already in the passing lane for several seconds before the incident, that still does not make it right to do what he did. You sound like one of these wishy-washy types.

No, like Bubba I never pass anyone at more than 10+ the speed limit. But HAD I been doing a ton, say with someone right behind me, and was slowing down when you changed lanes in front of me, yes, I would pass you rather than risk being hit from behind as I braked to avoid you. Probably given you an ADVrider salute to let you know you're "#1 in my book", too.

Have a nice life. Good luck out there (you'll need it). Here's to hoping the rest of the world acknowledges your "King of the Road" status and stays out of "your own lane".
    Yes, I'll have a nice life. And yes, I'll need some luck to avoid the idiots out there like the one I mentioned and their supporters. And no, I don't think I'm "King of the Road." I've ridden all over the country with few problems, because I'm a courteous, considerate rider.

arebin
    Quote Originally Posted by M1ka View Post
    The bottom line is I am glad you are okay and I hope the squid lives to learn.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by M1ka View Post
    Total Motorcycle ÔÇô online motorcycle dictionary

Squid - Acronym, SQUirrely kID. 1. In reference to younger MC riders with little respect to posted speed limit laws, self safety or safety of others. 2. Inexperienced newcomer, someone trying to ride beyond his skill level with arms flailing (like a squid) to try not to fall. This may be just a Southern term. 3. Stupidly Quick, Underdressed, Imminently Dead. 4 Any Sportbike Rider - seems this term got twisted along the way and has many meanings. 5 Sportbike riders who wear tennis shoes or flip flops, shorts, T-shirts, etc. on their nice shiny new sport bikes. 6 Anyone that rides without all proper gear , rides recklessly, or rides beyond their limits. 7. Someone who rides a sportbike on the street as if he or she were on a racetrack.

Doesn't the newest definition include something about "fender eliminator kit?"

Quote Originally Posted by arebin View Post

This was from the latest edition of the Bikers dictionary...I think fender eliminators and broken bike body parts are understood like a mathematical given.

Sit Fido
    Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

St. Paul Pioneer Press , Minneapolis Star Tribune

LazyWizard
    Quote Originally Posted by arebin View Post
    +1

Be advised, that while squids may seem without Merit, one of them did invent the Flying "W". This trick requires that you hit the bump so hard and off balance that when the bike retruns to the ground you are holding on to the handlebars with only one hand with feet and arm in the air, and making a double-u with the extremeties. A wild facial expression of astonishment usually acccompanies the trick but should not be seen re: ATTGAT.
    '96 R1100RT

BOKRIJDER
    Quote Originally Posted by lazywizard02 View Post
    Be advised, that while squids may seem without Merit, one of them did invent the Flying "W". This trick requires that you hit the bump so hard and off balance that when the bike retruns to the ground you are holding on to the handlebars with only one hand with feet and arm in the air, and making a double-u with the extremeties. A wild facial expression of astonishment usually acccompanies the trick but should not be seen re: ATTGAT.

Nah -- The flying W has been around much longer than squids. Ask any old dirt rider. The culmination of the maneuver is generally a radial increase in voice pitch.

Motard

Everyone needs to watch out for traffic, in front, to the side, and to the rear. But let's say the speed limit is 65. If you are going 75, 85, 95 or more, you now become an unexpected hazard. You are breaking the law and you need to excersize extreme caution (like not drive 100 mph when there is traffic) and certainly not do a lane share or even next lane pass. It is irresponsible to drive that way, no better than driving drunk.