Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Had so much fun...

  1. #1
    JCABRANES
    Guest

    Had so much fun...

    ... putting on a Rustic Road Ride I think I'll do it again for the 08 Rally. No not a Rustic Road ride since Wyoming doesn't have a program like Wisconsin's but just a ride to and through a scenic area. I've just begun to do my research but this jumps out at me http://www.byways.org/explore/byways/2165/stories/68106 What caught my attention is a winding road through the mountains and a pass at 9,666 ft. I'm thinking Gillette to Ten Sleep and back, lunch in Ten Sleep (if there is a place to eat)... approx. 265 miles round trip. Anyone interested? Anyone with a better suggestion for a day trip?

  2. #2
    Registered User redclfco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,014

    Put me down for this one

    Quote Originally Posted by JCabranes View Post
    ... putting on a Rustic Road Ride I think I'll do it again for the 08 Rally. No not a Rustic Road ride since Wyoming doesn't have a program like Wisconsin's but just a ride to and through a scenic area. I've just begun to do my research but this jumps out at me http://www.byways.org/explore/byways/2165/stories/68106 What caught my attention is a winding road through the mountains and a pass at 9,666 ft. I'm thinking Gillette to Ten Sleep and back, lunch in Ten Sleep (if there is a place to eat)... approx. 265 miles round trip. Anyone interested? Anyone with a better suggestion for a day trip?
    This sounds like the ticket!
    I also have some friends in WYO that may be able to direct us to a few more good rides within a reasonable distance (under 300?). I will do some checking on this.
    One thing to be said about Wyoming. It is a drop dead gorgeous out of this world with beauty and most of it (sans the tetons) has yet to be discovered by the build a condo type people! Unspoiled beauty if you can find it!

  3. #3
    ABC,AMA(LIFE),MOA,RA,IBMW MANICMECHANIC's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Manitowoc, Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,076
    I've been to Ten Sleep, nice little (emphasis on little) town. Last time I was there a restaurant was on the east side, and an emporium that purveyed all sorts of things, including ice cream on the west. Named Dirty Sally's.
    F.O.G.Rider, Rounder #6,
    Ambassador, Biergarten co-chair
    BMWRA Wisconsin Region Rep, camping chair

  4. #4
    Registered User DougC's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Johnston, Ia
    Posts
    95
    Thank you Jack for organizing the ride. We had a great time!
    '05 K1200LT Gold
    MOA Member #125415

  5. #5
    JCABRANES
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DougC View Post
    Thank you Jack for organizing the ride. We had a great time!
    Happy you could be part of it. Sorry I didn't get a chance to really meet you and chat. Maybe next time.

    Jack

  6. #6
    JCABRANES
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by manicmechanic View Post
    I've been to Ten Sleep, nice little (emphasis on little) town. Last time I was there a restaurant was on the east side, and an emporium that purveyed all sorts of things, including ice cream on the west. Named Dirty Sally's.
    Randy,

    Thanks for the info. Never been to that area and don't know a thing about it. Any suggestions you may have regarding worthwhile rides int he area are appreciated.

    Jack

  7. #7
    Registered User Rapid_Roy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Waukesha, WI
    Posts
    5,694
    Ten Sleep is a great town and the Big Horns are awesome. I am looking forward to Gillette already. I look forward to hitting some dirt roads with the RT (Road 'n' Trail).
    19 BMWMOA Nationals under my belt, and I have no idea what I am doing.

  8. #8
    judjones
    Guest
    I'd probably opt for a day trip to the Medicine Wheel, on 14A. Take 14 through Spotted Horse, Leiter and Ucross to Sheridan, then up to Burgess and over. Return via Greybull and up Shell Canyon, possibly the prettiest route in the Big Horns.

    A guy on a GS who got up early could take Crazy Woman Canyon up to 16, ride over to Ten Sleep, and take the dirt road from there to Lost Cabin on the way to the ice cream shop in Shoshoni.

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    247

    Well, Jack, it sounds like a good idea

    I'd like to go on a nice long ride with you. Here's a couple of pics I took as you rode by (should have take one for the group as you guys passed by me).
    Attached Images Attached Images

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    247

    And another one.

    ...
    Attached Images Attached Images

  11. #11
    JCABRANES
    Guest
    I remember passing by you... glad you didn't need our help. Anytime you want to go for a ride just let me know... I'm always good to go.

  12. #12
    Bikes, Guitars, and ... beemokat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Posts
    800

    I'll second that!

    Quote Originally Posted by DougC View Post
    Thank you Jack for organizing the ride. We had a great time!
    That was an awful lot like fun!
    Wherever you go, there you are.

  13. #13
    dpeace
    Guest
    Jack,
    Had great time on the RR ride. Thanks for putting it together and for adding the frozen custard stop. Put me down for the ride next year.

    Dan Peace
    R1150RT

  14. #14
    JCABRANES
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by dpeace View Post
    Jack,
    Had great time on the RR ride. Thanks for putting it together and for adding the frozen custard stop. Put me down for the ride next year.

    Dan Peace
    R1150RT
    I'll keep you posted

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •