Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Help me find a tent

Question Now, Tent Recommendations

thanks for the input on camping! I'm there! Now I need recommendations for a good two-person tent. My perfect tent would be a three season tent that fits a couple people comfortably and has room either in the tent or in an attached vestibule for storage. It's light and easily packable. Sturdy, waterproof, and easy to put up in the dark. Under $200 would be good. Under $150 would be better.

Yeah, I know, why don't I ask for one with a wet bar too?

Recommendations?

Thanks,

Marty

Marty, I split this off and moved it to Gear so people would look at it and know you were looking.

Personally, we have a Mountain Hardwear. It sleeps 3, which means your gear will fit inside, and it has a big ol' vestibule to keep your muddy, wet, yucky stuff in.

I've seen some very nice Eurekas lately, which are probably a better value.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

REBECCAV
    Last season I bought a 3 person tent from REI. I wanted enough room in my tent so that I could take the side bags off of my bike and have them with me. Two person tents are just WAY too small.

When I was shopping, my priorites were:
    Long length
    Three person
    Lightweight/pack small
    Rain fly that came down to the ground
    Vestibules

I shopped at REI.com, Campmor.com and Sierratradingpost.com. REI has a nice 'tent finder' feature that lets you compare tents side by side. I ended up buying my tent at REI - it was some sort of closeout deal.

I love my tent including the two vestibules - they are great for stinky riding socks that you don't want in the tent. If I bought again I would buy something with even bigger vestibules.

However, after I bought my tent, I saw a Coleman tent at a rally that I really liked - particularly the huge rain/sun screen overhang thing that the owner was sitting under. Price? $150. It might be discontinued though - I've never seen it for sale.

Here's a picture of my tent from the REI site:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

The best tent...

IMHO is:

The best tent ever made is the Timberline by Eureka. It is an external frame design based on the age old A frame (pup) tent.

It can be had in a small (2 person) and large (4 person) size, in a lightweight, standard and heavy duty fabric and with or without vestibules.

The Boy Scouts of America have used this tent for years and it holds up to teenage kids for weeks at a time. Used and refurb tents are also available often directly from the manufacturer. New tents are also available direct or at a savings from CAMPMOR.

MarkF

What's that noise...? basketcase's Avatar

Check the Internet BMW Riders site

Seems I recall seeing several tents advertised over there for sale.
    '98 BMW Z3 Roadster, '00 R1100RT

If you insist on exercising a right to burn our flag, first be so kind as to wrap yourself in it and then douse yourself with gasoline just before you strike the match.

Tent Synergism

The tent is just a piece of the motorcycle camping puzzle. It all has to fit together.

First, form follows function. I know what is in each system case on the bike. When I go to a rally I have camping bag that I pack in advance, tent, hammer, air matress, a summer and a medium weight bag (use one as a pillow) clothes, etc. The camping bag has to be big enough to hold everthing I need, but not too big. It has a tethering point on each end. I have two Bungie Buddies on each system case. It sets across the seat. I fasten it down a strap on each side. You have to be able to see over it with your mirrors. There will still be room to put your Kermit Chair and cot on top of the system cases against the seat and be able to get in the side cases if you have to without taking the load off.

The tent has to fit inside all of it. Now you have determined how much space the tent can take up you've limited the size of the tent/material and support system. You can go to a good camping store that has the tents set up and the bag they fit in and start narrowing down your tent choices.

Features I like in a tent. Dome tent, you can assemble it in the light and carry it to your campsite if it is dark, fewer pieces, less to loose, no ropes or cords to tie. The perfect tent would be the beer tent. CYA in Spokane JON

Pie,Coffee,Gas,Blacktop gcsitts's Avatar
    After many years of tenting, a few tenting rules of thumb:
    1. A tent is never too big.
    2.The fly is always too small.
    3. A "two man tent" is a small one person tent.
    4. A 'three man tent" is comfortable for one person as long as it has a fly/vestibule.
    5. A "four man tent" is a nice size for a couple if it is used on the road, i.e.: set up one day, packed up the next.
    6. A "five man tent" with a fly is just right for a couple at a rally or longer campout.
    7. A spare tarp always gets used for something.
    8. Netting is good for quietly containing mosquitos until the tenter just dozes off.
    9. Larger tents are not significantly harder to set up than smaller tents, they are just heavier and take more packing space.
    10. Every tent eventually leaks. That leak will occur just above an occupied down sleeping bag.
    George Sitts
    Oakhurst, CA

When you look down the road, it seems to never end - but you better believe it does.

8. 02-04-2004, 09:17 AM

Marty,

If you're new to camping there's a VERY complete checklist on the IBMWR site, at IBMWR camping checklist . You don't need to worry about all that gear, but it will give you some ideas that you might not have thought of. IBMWR is a great resource in general.

Before you buy a bunch of stuff, try to borrow or rent gear for your first time. There is no better way to learn about what you want than walking around a campground or rally site and seeing the variety of things other people have and talking to them about it. You'll have a better idea of what you want/need when you go buy, or you might just decide camping sucks and never do it again.

It's always better to learn from other people's mistakes.
    #92115 - '01 R1150GS

Why don't they make a Nerf Martini Glass?

tent

Sierra Trading Post has some great deals on tents. I just replaced my 6 year old (leaking badly) Sierra Designs with a Kelty from them that was less than 1/2 price.
    Get two ground cloths sized to the tent you select. One for inside, one outside under the tent. You'll protect the floor and make cleaning easier (fold up the inside one and take it out and shake it off).

I have just a cheapie Coleman tent that survived the storms at Charleston while other tents around me had snapped poles and all other manner of things go wrong. Also it kept me dry in the rain at every rally I went to this last summer and fall. Remember that when buying tents bathtub floors are you friend.

leave my monkey alone LORAZEPAM's Avatar
    I got a great deal on a Bass Pro Shops Tent last year. It is a 3 person tent and was well under 100.00. If you dont mind yellow with a small fish on the side, they can have good deals. Cabela's is another hunter/fisherman camping related outlet that has good deals. Check their rainwear as well, you can save big over motorcycle specific labeled products, that are exactly the same. A 3 man tent is the bare minimum I would get for one of 2 people.
    Gale Smith
    2009 Versys
    1999 R1100RT

I see REI was mentioned. Don't forget to check their outlet section. http://www.rei.com/outerror.html
    I purchased my tent there a couple years ago for about half price.
    I see there is a coleman on sale, don't know if it is the same one as mentioned above.
    Lee 2011 K1300S
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

The REI outlet address was out of date, try this one.
    http://www.rei.com/outlet/index.html?stat=othome
    Lee 2011 K1300S
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Take a look at this tent. It is sufficient for me and the wife with our gear.
    http://www.campmor.com/webapp/commer...23&prmenbr=226
    It is worth a look for $139

Originally posted by jentine
    Take a look at this tent. It is sufficient for me and the wife with our gear. It is worth a look for $139
    Or this one Eureka Tetragon 5 Tent On sale for under $60 and still a Eureka. I'm not a big fan of domes but this one with only two poles and clips instead of sleeves makes set-up easy.

MarkF