Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Polarized sun glasses

Polarized sun glasses

There is a letter in the latest BMW ON that cautions against using polarized sun glasses. The theory postulates that polarization diminishes the riders' ability to see nastly slick stiff on the road. I always wear polarized glasses under my clear helmet visor on all but the cloudiest days and have found the opposite to be true. Any road tar, oil or grease shows as a brighter blue tinged hue than without the glasses. Thoughts?
    BigG
    '95 1100 GS
    Boulder,CO
    ----------

''..nine mile skid on a ten mile ride" J. Garcia

What's that noise...? basketcase's Avatar
    I wear polorized glasses -- the cumlative result of the glare reduction helps significantly with lessening eye strain for me after a long day. And I find that things that might ordinarily be "hidden" in the glare -- piceces of 2 x 4, for example, are more easily seen and avoided.

However, I would personally caution against glasses that totally filter out blue light. A certain amount of blue light filtration sharpens images, but too much of a good thing can be deadly.

To wit: Several years ago I received as a gift a set of "Blublockers." A cool looking set of wraparound shades, I looked at them and thought, "These will be good riding glasses."

Wrong.

What I found was that they filtered so much light out of the spectrum that I could not tell which lens was illuminated at the traffic signals. Riding, as I was, on a familiar road with the "flow of traffic," I got through the first intersection okay. And I shed them for my old shades before I got to the next one.
    '98 BMW Z3 Roadster, '00 R1100RT

If you insist on exercising a right to burn our flag, first be so kind as to wrap yourself in it and then douse yourself with gasoline just before you strike the match.

GIZMO
    In photography one uses a polarized filter to eliminate reflections the same can be said for polarized glasses as the article states, but it all depends on the angle of the light source relative to the subject. This may explain why some claim to see reflections while wearing polarized glasses. Personally I do not wear polarized glasses while riding. IMHO why take a chance that the one time I come up on a slick spot, the angle of light is right to eliminate the reflectiveness of the slick spot.

I stopped use'n polarized a few years ago when I had a helmet face shield, that if used with polarized glasses produced a 60's style light show for me. Groooooove

Lens

I ride with polarized lens every day. They are great, cut out most of the glare and I see things on the road much better. About the only thing I have trouble seeing with them is the screen on my cell phone which I pull out when I'm not riding.
    Blog: http://swriding.blogspot.com
    Current Bike 1979 BMW 100RT; 2013 BMW R1200RT 90th Anniversary Edition; 2008 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic 105th Anniversary Edition

RIDERR1150GSADV

Cool

I use polarized sunglasses for my work as a fishing guide and also drive in my truck with them. They do give the 60's psychedelic color scheme of my tinted windows but I got used to that.
    On my bike however I don't use them as they do block some of the road hazards as oil etc. Not too bad on 4 wheels but very bad on 2
    I think it would be ok to use them but I personally don't since my fishing glasses are too big to look cool anyway.

For some reason the clear faceshield on my HJC helmet reacts oddly with polarized lenses. Certain colors of autos & tinted windshields give the psychodelic reaction. I was thinking that the shield was polarized & the reaction was due to the interaction.

Anyone know for sure what goes on with these things?

Kool Aid Dispenser! jimvonbaden's Avatar
    Originally posted by Gizmo
    In photography one uses a polarized filter to eliminate reflections the same can be said for polarized glasses as the article states, but it all depends on the angle of the light source relative to the subject. This may explain why some claim to see reflections while wearing polarized glasses. Personally I do not wear polarized glasses while riding. IMHO why take a chance that the one time I come up on a slick spot, the angle of light is right to eliminate the reflectiveness of the slick spot.
    Alright, I can't figure it out, and I am the type of guy who is secure enough in his manhood to ask directions.

What does IMHO mean?

Jim

In My Honest Opinion

Kool Aid Dispenser! jimvonbaden's Avatar

Re: Jim

Originally posted by IRONHORSECOWBOY
    In My Honest Opinion
    LOL In my experience, people who claim honesty are often the least honest! But I am sure that does not apply to BMW owners!

Jim

sometimes,In My Humble Opinion.

Originally posted by jgr451
    sometimes,In My Humble Opinion.
    That's how I use it.

IMNSHO is for In My Not So Humble Opinion.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

Word. K.

leave my monkey alone LORAZEPAM's Avatar

Since we are asking.

I was wondering if I was using shorthand for significant other properly. is it SWMBO? and what does that mean if correct?
    Gale Smith
    2009 Versys
    1999 R1100RT

Duh She who must be obeyed.From Mortimer,Rumpole of the Old Bailey.

I have a t shirt that says,

What if the hokey pokey is REALLY what it's all about?

And another that says SWMBO.