Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: This is going to be unpopular

HODAG
    Quote Originally Posted by Sue Rihn-Manke View Post
    Glad [almost] everyone enjoyed themselves. Brian and I are spending the day reading this forum to see what we missed at the rally.
    I finally had time to sit down, relax, and read my rally book last night......

userw5
    I don't see where the idea of a one-day pass should be that unheard of.

This is just one example, but VIR has single day and multi-day passes to most of their events.

http://www.virclub.com/vir/index.php...=27&Itemid=119

I'm sure there would be a number of things to take into consideration in implementing a pass system like this, but it could be done.

HODAG
    Quote Originally Posted by userw5 View Post

This is just one example, but VIR has single day and multi-day passes to most of their events.

I'm sure there would be a number of things to take into consideration in implementing a pass system like this, but it could be done.
    I agree!
    I say we charge $20 for a one day pass, and then also $15 for parking per person.
    problem solved.

I went to the Charging station specifically to meet you. I missed the chance to meet you, and for that I am sorry. The above post is yet another reason I regret missing my chance.
    Gold Jerry, Gold!
    19 BMWMOA Nationals under my belt, and I have no idea what I am doing.

BUBBAZANETTI
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodag View Post
    I finally had time to sit down, relax, and read my rally book last night......
    yeah, you didn't do any "relaxing" at the rally

Quote Originally Posted by userw5 View Post

Hi, at the 2002 rally in Trenton, there was a bike display in a building that had access from outside the rally, and from inside the rally.

On Saturday, the bike display was open to residents of Trenton to look at the display. You couldn't gain access to the rally, just look at the display.

That was a nice touch, no doubt it was possible because of the building/parking lot layout.

I wouldn't want day visitors wandering around the rally. Like everyone else, when I go to a rally I leave riding gear, GPS, camera and other personal items in my tent. I don't worry about the rallyists, however I wouldn't want day visitors in the camping area.

A Rally is for the participants, those people who are going to be there for the entire event, whether they camp or stay in a hotel. I understand why people might want to go for only a day, however that isn't a rally, it's flea market or shopping trip. Missing most of the rally means that you miss most of the fun and experience.

I would vote against day passes for the rally.........Regards, Rod.

HODAG
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapid_Roy View Post
    I went to the Charging station specifically to meet you. I missed the chance to meet you, and for that I am sorry. The above post is yet another reason I regret missing my chance.
    Gold Jerry, Gold!
    It was always interesting meeting people and telling them I was Hodag, either a big smile or a look of fear

Quote Originally Posted by BubbaZanetti View Post
    yeah, you didn't do any "relaxing" at the rally
    mainly concentration issues

Quote Originally Posted by Hodag View Post
    It was always interesting meeting people and telling them I was Hodag, either a big smile or a look of fear
    You too? They must have never met anybody from Wisconsin[/tongue in cheek]
    Last edited by Rapid_Roy; 07-16-2007 at 06:46 PM. Reason: added joke
    19 BMWMOA Nationals under my belt, and I have no idea what I am doing.

Why would a day pass be considered? The increased revenue (if any) would be tempered with the additional logistical headaches. Four different colored wristbands (one for the whole rally, one for each separate day). How would the raffle work? Would someone who paid a single day fee be entered in all drawings, and if so, could someone buy three separate days and be entered three times? Security would need to be increased, and provisions would need to be made for additional daytime parking for both cages and bikes. Who clears the parking lot after the evening concert? Don't change what works.

As far as Sturgis and fees- In many campsites during the week of Sturgis you pay a weekly camping fee whether you stay one night or six. Very few places charge by the day. You also pay a premium for motels. A few years back I stayed in Spearfish, double occupancy, for $45 a night. The same room a week later for the rally was $145 a night. Doing things according to Sturgis is a mistake. This is a rally for the MOA and friends.

D. Ross
    1 bike, bop

cheesewhiz
    From the sound of it I'm thinking that AHPD was looking for the burn-out pit and the wet T-shirt contest .

Being a Rally virgin and a vetran of MANY H-D rallies (As a musician NOT a rider) I was taken by the mellow atmosphere. Very easy to strike up a conversation with anyone, and the seminars were terrific.

Maybe in a few years you will see the light.

Day Passes - bad idea

So for all of you out there in favor of Day Passes - just how do you plan to enforce it?

What prevents me from having a Day Pass and then decide to camp "just for the night"...and then maybe just hang around and see a few vendors the next day?

It's not like an amusement park where everyone is ushered out of the place at the end of the day and everyone comes back the next morning when the gates are opened. Are we suppose to have another group of Security patrols to check wrist bands? Logistical nightmare.

This topic comes up ALL the time and I'm sure the BOD has thought it through for the upteenth time. I trust the BOD and the Rally Chairperson is working in the best interst of the MOA and it's membership.

If you feel that strongly about it, I would suggest you volunteer to be on the Rally Chair for future Rallies.
    "During Prohibition I survived on nothing but food and water." - W.C. Fields

I would favor day passes or entertainment/guest tickets. We skipped the closing ceremonies to have dinner with friends. It would have been wonderful to be able to have them come to the park for the food and entertainment. I did ask about registering and paying the $30 so they could come in. But was told they had to stand in line and register themselves. It was not something they were willing to do.

The rally as my wife and I experienced it was cheap. A $50 price tag would not be out of line for the entertainment we had. However, $30 would be steep for a non-BMW local to come see the bikes and listen to the bands. If you read the editors letter in the current ON magazine, he asked that we all work to inform people that BMW makes motorcycles. I canÔÇÖt think of a better way to do that than inviting people to come to our rally.

To use SueÔÇÖs analogy of the Indy 500 .. That is a weeklong event and you can buy single day tickets as well as a weeklong pass to practice days, qualifying and the race. Maybe the Rally is getting large enough to break up some of the admission prices. Camping, vendors, entertainment and seminars.

Again IÔÇÖd like to say we had a great time, the event was well run and we will be back regardless of day passes.
    '05 K1200LT Gold
    MOA Member #125415

Day Passes? High Rally Fee? Pshaw!

I wouldn't want day visitors wandering around the rally. Like everyone else, when I go to a rally I leave riding gear, GPS, camera and other personal items in my tent. I don't worry about the rallyists, however I wouldn't want day visitors in the camping area.
    I like not having a day-pass for the above reason. I don't want to have to lock up my goodies when I'm strolling the vendor area or seminars. It's worrisome enough when I leave my bike for a break while riding solo across seven states to reach the rally. I don't want to have to think about it at the rally.

I pay $70 for the wife and I, so I can buy lunch and walk around for 3 hours looking at stuff to buy. I'm sure the vendors paid to be there, now why exactly did I have to pay all that money to come in? I just got back an hour ago, I loved to see so many BMWs in one place, but I wasted $70 and it won't happen again.
    As for the fee: $35 (or $30 pre-reg like me) is CHEAP compared to a trip to attending an MLB, NFL or NHL game. Break it down into three days and you're looking at a bargain. If you can't spend a couple of days doing the rally, don't come. There's really too much to absorb in an afternoon. Besides, most of the vendors at the show have web sites and are happy to sell you stuff over the Web.

For me a rally is about several things: meeting other Beemer riders, checking out the goodies on different bikes, picking up some freebies, taking lots of pix, riding roads I've never been on and leaving my "real" life behind for a few days. This year I did a volunteer stint in the Cyber Cafe (Hi Brian!); rode the Rustic Roads route Jack posted; got some swell swag; took about 500 photos of bikes, people, etc.; camped next to a cool guy from Omaha (Hi John!), and generally had a blast.

The event is what you make of it. Come with an open mind and some extra time and you'll see what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by gsmetal View Post
    So for all of you out there in favor of Day Passes - just how do you plan to enforce it?
    IÔÇÖll use SueÔÇÖs analogy again and compare it to a auto race. There is one ticket to get in the park, one to enter the pits, a wrist band to get in the camping areas. ItÔÇÖs not that hard. It would sure be nice to share with non-BMW riders what we all have going. As a new BMW owner (1 year) I know I would have made the switch earlier had I been to this event before hand.
    '05 K1200LT Gold
    MOA Member #125415

tdomek

My .02

Quote Originally Posted by Monches rider View Post
    I would believe the vendors would be happy to see a "1 day pass" for maybe $15 and an increase in traffic and possibly revenue as well.
    This is the BMWMOA National Rally. The vendors are there to service the rally attendees, and by doing so they get access to a concentrated customer population for their specific product or service.

The rally has many facets, and the vendors are only one. Seminars, camping, camaraderie, beer, making BMW contacts, catching up with old friends and making new ones, riding to the destination and the roads in the area, attending other attractions in the area, even just being able to say "I was there".

Each person is free to avail themselves of as many or as few of these as the see fit. The price and conditions were clearly stated well before hand and again just before entrance to the rally.

The logistics of putting on an event of this size is staggering, and doing so with PURELY volunteer staff is amazing. Creating an extra layer of security for the screening the different levels of attendee admittance to accommodate a small minority of people is not cost efficient and counterproductive to the smooth operation of the event.

If you feel the thing is, as advertised, worth your investment, come on down! If not, stay home.