Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: This is going to be unpopular

BUBBAZANETTI
    Quote Originally Posted by KBasa View Post
    We all enjoy BMW motorcycles in different ways.
    glad to see you made it back the 150 feet to your camper unharmed

ahpd1992

Enjoy all who attend

I thank those of you who are sticking up for a persons right to state an opinion. That being said the rally was put together well, I just didnt think it was worth it. This is meant in no way to detract from anyone else's enjoyment of the weekend. To be fair I will tell you what I think were pluses of this rally.

-I loved the "recharging station" what a great idea for the campers and such. Most everyone has some electronic device to stay in touch w/ the home base...well done

-I was amazed at all the vendors willing to do on site installation, including complete exhaust systems. That was cool

-the facilities seemed nice and clean for a campground, though I will confess I no nothing of camping, its just not my thing

-again I will state seeing 5000+ BMW's in one place was something I wont forget soon, especially in the home state of The Motor Company

I hope everyone enjoys themselves, my criticisms were meat to be constructive, as a member and rally goer, I see myself as a customer. As a customer I feel I have a right to express what I dont like about a particular product or service.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by KBasa View Post
    We all enjoy BMW motorcycles in different ways.
    Exactly.
    Terence
    R75/5 R100RS K100RS R1100S

Registered marching ant Antaeas's Avatar

thanks for sharing

Distance from my garage to the rally: 124 miles

Hours spent on the rally grounds in all: 8

Miles of cool roads that I hadn't ridden before in a state where I've lived for years: 300+

Old friends met at the rally & new friends made at the rally: 10+

Hassles in registering, getting freebies, buying stuff: 0

Satisfaction with event facilities and management: 100%

Great sunsets seen on my rides home: 2

Registration fee: $35

BMW MOA Rally 2007 Gem??tlichkeit: Priceless
    Last edited by antaeas; 07-15-2007 at 03:26 AM. Reason: update
    Antaeas

2005 R1200RT (Artie)

"Can I move? I'm better when I move." - Sundance Kid (by Wm. Goldman)

belquar

Cost

I just went to the county fair last night with my family. We won free tickets on the radio. No admission cost for us. Free parking. Between pony rides and Carny food we probably spent almost as much money as a rally entrance fee, and would spend it again to see my little girl smile and whinny at the ponies again.

Many people would go to the same event and walk away in disgust at the ridiculously high prices on food. 6 bucks for a sandwich that isn't very good. 3 bucks for a corndog. 7 dollars for a smoothie. 4 dollars for zeppoles. etc etc etc.

Different strokes.

Quote Originally Posted by ahpd1992 View Post
    I thank those of you who are sticking up for a persons right to state an opinion. That being said the rally was put together well, I just didnt think it was worth it. This is meant in no way to detract from anyone else's enjoyment of the weekend. To be fair I will tell you what I think were pluses of this rally.

-I loved the "recharging station" what a great idea for the campers and such. Most everyone has some electronic device to stay in touch w/ the home base...well done

-I was amazed at all the vendors willing to do on site installation, including complete exhaust systems. That was cool

-the facilities seemed nice and clean for a campground, though I will confess I no nothing of camping, its just not my thing

-again I will state seeing 5000+ BMW's in one place was something I wont forget soon, especially in the home state of The Motor Company

I hope everyone enjoys themselves, my criticisms were meat to be constructive, as a member and rally goer, I see myself as a customer. As a customer I feel I have a right to express what I dont like about a particular product or service.

Tom
    You are absolutely right Tom, you do have the right to express you opinion and I respect that.

I went on Monday to help set up and volunteer. I can do that because I'm retired. Could not have done so if I were still working.

Left Friday morning to take a sailing trip with my with to Canada.

Would I do it again? Yes. I enjoyed working together with other members to get things ready for the rally. I enjoyed working the communications both and helping others find directions/information.

I enjoyed meeting a few others guys Thursday night in front of a tent on the parking lot. Hope to see each of them in WY next year.

Camping is part of the rally heritage/history. I'm not a camper. However, I did buy and inexpensive tent just for this rally and would recommend camping for several reasons. A lot of the rally is meeting new folks. Easy to do if you stay there. For those who choose to have a cold one, you can walk back to your tent. It cost no more to camp but I don't think any of you $35.00 registration fee was for "camping" per se.

I'm sorry you were disappointed. There is more to MOA than the rally and I, for one, hope you will continue to be a member.

Regards,
    I used to post here, but now I don't.

ahpd1992

Re: Sibud

I totally agree with you I am not planning on letting my membership expire. The monthly issues of ON magazine alone are worth the cost of the annual membership

I appreciate you being open-minded, as you said maybe rally's just arent my thing. When I think about I am somewhat of a lone rider, its hard to find people that ride the same way.

My idea of a good days ride is at least 500 miles, a decent hotel, and a few adult beverages when were done riding for the night. I prefer early morning starts to late starts. I would rather take the two lane twisties over the interstate any day. I believe in going with the flow, and not letting the inevitable delays, breakdowns etc... ruin a trip.

A lot of the rally goers probably agree with this, some may not. I went to the rally knowing what it cost mainly to see if it was worth it. I suppose in some ways it was worth it because at least I know what I dont like after giving it a fair try. Of course next year the rally will be far away and $35 for 3 or 4 days is not a bad price camping or not.

Regardless, SIBUD I appreciate your comments. When I first wrote this thread I figured Id get bashed, and I did, but its nothing I cant recover from. It does my heart good to see there are some that are willing to see both sides.

Thanks
    Tom

Thread moved...

...because the discussion is better suited here.

Ian
    Forum Liaison
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.

Quote Originally Posted by ahpd1992 View Post
    ...I pay $70 for the wife and I, so I can buy lunch and walk around for 3 hours looking at stuff to buy. ...
    Tom, maybe it depends upon what you're looking for. We've only been to 3 national rallies, and each one has been more fun than the last. That's because we meet friends at each rally we might not see otherwise, and at each rally we seem to make more friends. My wife and I volunteered to work on setup before the rally began, and it was a pleasure to work for Chuck and Julie Manley. Plus we met and made new friends on the crew we worked with. They treat volunteers very well, treating us to a nice dinner and recognizing all of the volunteers at the closing ceremonies.

If you're looking for a place to shop maybe it's not worth the entry fee. But if you want the rally "experience", then it's really priceless. And you don't have to camp there to enjoy it.

JMHO
    Dan

Just got back from the Rally a few hours ago myself - 1314 miles and we had a blast! The venue for this year's function was by far the best as long as I've been attending (7 years or so). My only regret was not doing more seminars and demo rides. And since our motel was 24 miles from the site, we spent no time in the beer tent. Instead, I spent more time with vendors and went home with $400 worth of needful things.

The $35 registration fee was a bargain IMO, and BTW...I don't enjoy camping either, but at no time was I under the impression I was paying for a campsite that I didn't use.

Too bad you couldn't find anything of value there, Tom. I thought the MOA and its excellent staff and hundreds of volunteers did a fabulous job.

Some folks were just meant to enjoy motorcycling a different way.
    2007 BMW R1200GS
    2009 KTM 300XC-W

1analguy
    I guess I have to agree with ahpd1992 on one point: there really should have been a "one-day" ticket available (say, for $20 or $25) for locals who could only spend one day there. Having said that, we had a great time there on Saturday. We tried to attend three seminars, one after the other. This didn't work too well, with the first one finishing just as the next one was starting all the way across the grounds, and so on. I understand about set blocks of time vs so many (too many?) seminars, etc. Still...

Otherwise, great grounds, great bikes, great weather, and great effort by all the organizers. Thanks to all from a "rally virgin"!

Great Time!

Well you're right - this topic is going to be unpopular.

Unfortunatly when you have a base of 35,000 members there's always going to be someone who has to crab about something - that's OK -it's a free country - have at it.

I for one had a great time and consider the $35.00 a bargin for all 3 days...live music, free camping, cheap beer, access to a huge knowledge base and great weather.

When we go up to Road America for a motorcycle race, it's $35.00 for one day so I'm not going to squawk about $35.00 for 3 days.

So you can only make it for one day? Well, quite frankly, that's your problem. Clear your schedule and come up for 2 or 3 days.

I found this Rally exceptional - even though I'm from Wisconsin and it was only 22 miles to the Rally site . The grounds were really first rate, the entertainment was fun as well.

Spent an hour outside the beer tent on Saturday afternoon, sitting at a picnic table enjoying a beer, listening to German music, swapping lies with some friends and lauging - that alone was worth $35.00.

I had a great time.
    "During Prohibition I survived on nothing but food and water." - W.C. Fields

Registered User sjwwi2004r1150rta's Avatar

The Big Picture

The Big Picture requires one to stand outside the circle and look at what transpires inside the circle. I was only able to spend 5 hours at the rally even though I am local to West bend, but if you look at the aerial view of the rally you can get The Big Picture (Aerial View).

It looked like time and money well spent to me.
    SJW
    )))))))))))))))) =o&o>_

REBECCAV
    Quote Originally Posted by sjwwi2004r1150rta View Post
    ..... get The Big Picture (Aerial View).
    The aerial views are wonderful! Thanks for the link.

Regarding entry fees, I like it that EVERYONE pays the same price for admission - BOD, vendors, volunteers, and all rally-goers. No one gets special treatment - the $35 is equally unfair to everyone.

Also, if we offered low price day passes, we might be attracting just anyone looking to do something for the day or somewhere to drink for the evening and I don't want that. I've always felt like me, my bike and my stuff in my tent are pretty safe at a National Rally and I want to keep it that way. We are throwing a party for MOA members and motorcycle riders, not necessarily for everyone in a 50 miles radius.

Blocking the slow lane
    I hated this rally because we didn't see boxergrrlie or bmwrtgirl (who doesn't ride an RT anymore). Its not fair. Waah.

Jon Diaz
    BMW K75/K12GT
    BMWMOA Ambassador