Thread: gas availability

gas availability

On the way west after the rally I'll be in southern montana to try thr Bear tooth highway. Are ther any stretchs longer than the 200 or so I get between gas stops?
    thanks, robert

The system I try to use off the slab out west is to not pass a station if I have less than 100 miles range left. That's pretty conservative, but there are lots of places where gas is 50-80 miles apart. There are also "towns" on the map that aren't there anymore and towns with no gas.
    Frank G.
    Hattiesburg, Mississippi
    2004 R1150RT

OK.I'll get a jerry can in Cody.

K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    I've been on that route, at least from Cody to the NE gate of Yellowstone and had no problem getting gas. Actually never a problem anywhere. We always filled up if there was gas available regardless of how much was in the tanks.
    BMWMotorcycles, fun when they're running...
    My other bike is a BMW.
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

gas availabiliy

Robert:

If you're planning on any travel just north of the Beartooth, The Mid Continent Fuel Gap is an area in which you want to be careful with fuel management, and is bounded by Big Timber and Harlowton on the east, and White Sulphur Springs and Great Falls on the west. Neihart and Monarch have gas, but Neihart only has regular and I'm not sure if Monarch has premium. I don't go into the Gap without full fuel; we've had two close calls with fuel starvation in there.

In the immediate Beartooth area, there's gas at Cody, Red Lodge, Cooke City, so no problem.

When I bought my new oiler two years ago, the first thing I did, in anticipation of touring in Montana, was get an opinion from BMW Canada on whether I could burn low octane (85) gas for short distances. They said no problem.

Rinty
    Last edited by rinty; 07-04-2007 at 05:16 PM. Reason: add something

Traveling out west you need to watch the time of the day. Many smaller stations close early and open late. Then there is that ethanol problem. Will your bike run on it?

JON

Fuel around Bear Tooth

No worries about fuel when riding Bear Tooth Pass. Fuel up in Cody, and DON'T MISS Wyoming SR-296 that leads to US-212 going up the pass towards Red Lodge. It is an *outstanding* road.

Fuel up again in Red Lodge. Repeat Bear Tooth Pass if you're headed via Yellowstone. (Road are different rides as you ride each way!)

Next tip is: If it looks as if the top of Bear Tooth is "in weather" with clouds, slip on a jacket or even a rain jacket at the intersection of SR-296 and US-212. It can be cold any time of year at 10,900+ feet, and there aren't lay-bys every 100 feet on the way up.

Ride well,
    Stopwatch

Quote Originally Posted by Stopwatch View Post
    No worries about fuel when riding Bear Tooth Pass. Fuel up in Cody, and DON'T MISS Wyoming SR-296 that leads to US-212 going up the pass towards Red Lodge. It is an *outstanding* road.

Fuel up again in Red Lodge. Repeat Bear Tooth Pass if you're headed via Yellowstone. (Road are different rides as you ride each way!)

Next tip is: If it looks as if the top of Bear Tooth is "in weather" with clouds, slip on a jacket or even a rain jacket at the intersection of SR-296 and US-212. It can be cold any time of year at 10,900+ feet, and there aren't lay-bys every 100 feet on the way up.

Ride well,
    Stopwatch
    I just had to add...every road is a different ride, going the other way!

Keep the rubber side down!
    Len