Camping at Meat Cove
    Rest of Cabot Trail
    Ride to Truro, NS
    Ferry to Deer Island
    Ferry to Eastport
    Ride to Acadia NP
    Ride to resort town of Braintree

2550 miles, 4103 kilometers, 8 days
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Glad you guys had a good time. Wish I could have been there with you.

Once there was a Tavern PAULBACH's Avatar
    Ballston Spa, NY; South of the Adirondacks, North of the Catskills and West of The Berkshires and Green Mountains

An Adventure For The Rest Of Us!

Tom,

Nice on mileage - you beat me out.

I had 2083 miles. Will have to see what Steve clocked.

$187.54 in gas receipts for about 11 cents a mile. But that is after liters to gallons and Canadian dollars to American dollars. Will not swear to all the conversions.

But that does not cover the replacement battery. One morning the GS battery mysteriously died - dead - no voltage. But luckily the battery died in Larry's River and not Meat Cove. Nearest battery was 52 miles away off we went to Antigonish. $113 Canadian for a fully charged replacement. Battery had Honda stamped on side but 12 volts is 12 volts and battery was exactly the same size. Touringo found the replacement. Nothing like shade tree mechanics.

Lots of great memories including meeting Beemer folk from Miami on the CAT ferry and watching whales off the port side of the ferry on way to Portland, Maine.
    Last edited by PAULBACH; 08-24-2007 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Add Title

Ballston Spa, NY; South of the Adirondacks, North of the Catskills and West of The Berkshires and Green Mountains

Quote Originally Posted by bobs98 View Post
    Glad you guys had a good time. Wish I could have been there with you.
    There is always next year for the bigger and better Salty Fog II. Meat Cove is a great destination with guaranteed adventure but done without hardship or danger.

An adventure for the rest of us.
    Last edited by PAULBACH; 08-24-2007 at 03:02 PM.

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PAULBACH View Post
    But luckily the battery died in Larry's River and not Meat Cove.
    Yeah! Talk about end of the earth! Spectacular place though!

I met up with my Vstrom riding partners in Amherst on Sunday and we were the only bikes at Meat Cove until a couple from Ontario arrived on a 1200GS and 650GS. They had the kitchen sink packed on those two rides!

Sorry I missed you on Monday, assuming you were there Monday. We arrived about 1530 ADT and that was the end of the rain for the trip.

A few pictures from the campsite at Meat Cove:

-Tom (KA1TOX)

One of my favorite pictures

We got the fire going after a real team effort. Then we sat down to enjoy the heat and ...

The rain started and a real frog strangler it was. The little mysterious lights might be droplets of water on the lens.
    Last edited by PAULBACH; 08-24-2007 at 03:03 PM.

TomMcGee sings for his supper

Touringo hauled new bedding up to Larry's River. The homestead there is being rebuilt after being gutted to the outside walls.

Here Touringo and TomMcGee are hard at work.

Last edited by PAULBACH; 08-24-2007 at 03:04 PM.

Halifax and Larry's River, Nova Scotia, Canada
    One of my favorite pictures

We got the fire going after a real team effort. Then we sat down to enjoy the heat and ...

The rain started and a real frog strangler it was. The little mysterious lights might be droplets of water on the lens.
    ...note that just inches from the fire is a cliff of great significance.....
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com
    Salty Fog Riders Motorcycle Tourism Promotions
    Larry's River, Nova Scotia, CANADA

Quote Originally Posted by tourunigo View Post
    ...note that just inches from the fire is a cliff of great significance.....
    When did you folks get to Meat Cove? Must have been Sunday? Hard to tell, but might have been the same campsite we had Monday night. Do we have you to thank for the leftover firewood?

The adjacent cliff:

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Quote Originally Posted by tommcgee View Post
    When did you folks get to Meat Cove? Must have been Sunday? Hard to tell, but might have been the same campsite we had Monday night. Do we have you to thank for the leftover firewood?

The adjacent cliff:

...uh....ya, that's right. Knew ya'll woulda been more needy than us so, I said, let's leave some embers for that V-Strom crowd....... all they got to do is blow the ashes a bit.... Glad you had a great visit to the edge of the earth. We'll do this again. -Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com

You won't see this picture in any cycle magazine!

You won't see this picture in any cycle magazine!

Going into Canada had to wait in line at customs. The line moved slowly. Instead of starting engine, pillion gave a push to move things along.
    Last edited by PAULBACH; 08-27-2007 at 11:30 AM. Reason: add content

Talking I'm Back

Tom,

Nice on mileage - you beat me out.

I had 2083 miles. Will have to see what Steve clocked.

$187.54 in gas receipts for about 11 cents a mile. But that is after liters to gallons and Canadian dollars to American dollars. Will not swear to all the conversions.
    I got back from Maine yesterday. I ended up having battery problems as well. I ended up at 2269 or something for mileage. I haven't tallied up my gas receipts yet. I am working on my ride report for my blog and I will post the highlights in the Readers Ride section. Lots happened after I left you folks in Halifax. Special thanks to Bob and Mary for putting me up a couple nights. They were fantastic hosts. It was great meeting them and Paul. It was great meeting Ron too and he can really keel that GS over in the turns!

Quote Originally Posted by empeg9000 View Post
    Special thanks to Bob and Mary for putting me up a couple nights. They were fantastic hosts. It was great meeting them and Paul. It was great meeting Ron too and he can really keel that GS over in the turns!
    Sorry I missed you and the rest of the group. It's such a beautiful part of the world.

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Quote Originally Posted by empeg9000 View Post
    I got back from Maine yesterday. I ended up having battery problems as well. I ended up at 2269 or something for mileage. I haven't tallied up my gas receipts yet. I am working on my ride report for my blog and I will post the highlights in the Readers Ride section. Lots happened after I left you folks in Halifax. Special thanks to Bob and Mary for putting me up a couple nights. They were fantastic hosts. It was great meeting them and Paul. It was great meeting Ron too and he can really keel that GS over in the turns!
    Glad you're back safe. What a wonderful time we had! We look forward to seeing the pictures that you took. Between you and Paul we all will be able to enjoy the trip over again. (what happened to the battery and where?) -Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com

Another dead battery?

Maybe there is something to this Salty Fog business. Next year we will have to find an exorcist to banish the battery demons.

No refund or rebate on mine. Even though bike is under warranty battery is only covered for one year.