Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Salty Fog Rally + Highland Fling

Halifax and Larry's River, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Statdawg View Post
    Those cigars need to be disposed of properly. No guns that was just a dig at all the people that asked that question over on another forum. I might bring a fly rod to lash the water with, how about a cod jigger that is one heck of a dual hook. Still not sure of my plans.

Is Newfie Screech or Big Dipper available there ?
    Newfoundland Screech of course but a few others as well. Most certainly come and dispose of some cigars in proper fashion. Cod might not be an easy catch.... but a few trout are upstream. Working on a possibility of getting a few interested folks out to sea on a local fishing/recreational boat....but we'll see..... not yet sure about that liability question on that one. BTW.... that guns thing is always hovering around.... usually laced with humor etc (but, there are times I wish....) Hope you can make it. We will be posting a cell phone link time for those looking to meet up along the path. -Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com
    Salty Fog Riders Motorcycle Tourism Promotions
    Larry's River, Nova Scotia, CANADA

Once there was a Tavern PAULBACH's Avatar
    Ballston Spa, NY; South of the Adirondacks, North of the Catskills and West of The Berkshires and Green Mountains
    I got my ferry reservations made and am pumped! Why ferry? Want to spend more time in Nova Scotia. Besides this sea dog wants to see salt water from horizon to horizon.

Take a photo tour of the Cat.

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar

Cell phone service

I don't know if I'll meet any of you on this trip, but I will be in the area from Friday, August 17 until Thursday, August 23 when I hightail it back to Boston via CAT.

I've got a ride already scheduled with a friend, but I could always meet him a day later than planned and possibly join this group at Larry's River for a short time. I need to work this out.

Anyway, in my trip prep, I looked into cell phone coverage. Another friend came back from Nova Scotia 10 days ago and he reports that Verizon has good coverage, except for the lack of data service. For me, I contacted Sprint and this is what they said about "the Canada":

"Yes, the PCS Phone would definitely work in New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, and Cape Breton Island in Canada. Please know that the Canada is an international location, therefore, it is not covered under your service plan. The account would be billed at the default rate of $0.59/minutes for Canada Roaming.

However, you can opt for the following plan so that the default rate would be reduced to $0.20/minute.

$2.99 Canada Roaming Option

You are requested to write back to me if you wish to add the above mentioned option to the account. Please let me know if you have further questions. "

-Tom (DL650-ABS K7)

"Catching a bee in your helmet at seventy miles per hour will double your vocabulary.." -Unknown

Cell Note

Quote Originally Posted by tommcgee View Post
    I don't know if I'll meet any of you on this trip, but I will be in the area from Friday, August 17 until Thursday, August 23 when I hightail it back to Boston via CAT.

I've got a ride already scheduled with a friend, but I could always meet him a day later than planned and possibly join this group at Larry's River for a short time. I need to work this out.

Anyway, in my trip prep, I looked into cell phone coverage. Another friend came back from Nova Scotia 10 days ago and he reports that Verizon has good coverage, except for the lack of data service. For me, I contacted Sprint and this is what they said about "the Canada":

"Yes, the PCS Phone would definitely work in New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, and Cape Breton Island in Canada. Please know that the Canada is an international location, therefore, it is not covered under your service plan. The account would be billed at the default rate of $0.59/minutes for Canada Roaming.

However, you can opt for the following plan so that the default rate would be reduced to $0.20/minute.

$2.99 Canada Roaming Option

You are requested to write back to me if you wish to add the above mentioned option to the account. Please let me know if you have further questions. "

-Tom (DL650-ABS K7)

"Catching a bee in your helmet at seventy miles per hour will double your vocabulary.." -Unknown

.... there are pockets in the Province (like everywhere) where the cell will not have a signal. Larry's River is one such place. Although, it is only about a ten mile radius. We will be posting a cell number or two for 'on the road contacts' plus a land line in Larry's River for the 17/18th. -Bob (a local rep for The Canada)
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com

Ballston Spa, NY; South of the Adirondacks, North of the Catskills and West of The Berkshires and Green Mountains
    28,000 at a rally? That's fine, interesting and just plain wonderful!

But it is not the

Salty Fog Rally

Join us for something more laid back!

Last edited by PAULBACH; 07-31-2007 at 10:03 AM.

Where will you be in August?

Cape Breton is calling!

Last edited by PAULBACH; 07-31-2007 at 12:39 PM.

.... it's late and the smell of Mary's spaghetti sauce moves down the stairs. The sauce is being prepared for spaghetti and for lasagna. A Salty Fog greeting for those prepared to make the trip. I still have those refried beans in a tortilla wrap to make. The labor is free but a modest donation to cover food costs is appreciated. Camping is free (indoor bedroll space as well) .....but, as of yet we have no showers (next year).

I have a map on PDF but it is 175k and I can't seem to make it smaller. Once I get that figured out I will post.

Please contact Paulbach to join in the merrymaking and become one of the founding members of this little (for now) rally. All are welcome and who wouldn't want to get their smilin' face in ( or 'on') the BMWMOA mag??? Schedule coming very soon. -Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by tourunigo View Post
    I have a map on PDF but it is 175k and I can't seem to make it smaller. Once I get that figured out I will post.

Please contact Paulbach to join in the merrymaking and become one of the founding members of this little (for now) rally. All are welcome and who wouldn't want to get their smilin' face in ( or 'on') the BMWMOA mag??? Schedule coming very soon. -Bob
    Since I found out about this AFTER another trip was all scheduled and planned, I'm working on getting started a day earlier and joining you folks for the kickoff, and then I'll head off to meet my original riding buddy, who should be somewhere near Pugwash by Saturday night.

Please email me a map, if you would, Bob: tfm at 110 dot net.
    Last edited by tommcgee; 08-01-2007 at 11:05 AM. Reason: speling and grandma
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Mid August and where will you be?

You know where you will be mid-August, more or less.

Wouldn't you rather be here?

Come join use for the plank owners start of the Salty Fog Rally.

Where are these gents headed?

To the Salty Fog Rally on Cape Breton, Nova Scotia. Come join us.

Thanks to M1KA for the use of the sailboat image.
    Last edited by PAULBACH; 08-02-2007 at 12:25 AM.

The best part of summer

It's August - the last month of summer. Temperatures tomorrow (August 2) are to rise to the 90's

You can

• circle the block
    • ride in hair dryer like heat
    • hide in an air conditioned cage

or

Head For the Salty Fog Rally

Oh, don't forget to bring a warm blanket.

August

August means a lot of things to many people:

Hot
    Steamy
    Humid
    Hazy
    Uncomfortable
    Thunderstorms

But if you are going to the Salty Fog Rally

Cool, Comfortable, Breezy, Outdoor Living

If you prefer the latter to the former, join us at the

Salty Fog Rally
    Cape Breton Is Calling

mrich12000

Arrow Ham Freqs. and update

Oils changed Red extra seat pillow is out,installed the new GPS should be on the road on the 13th barring any unforseen things That should be it see ya all at Indian Larry's Bonsor my friends

Cheers
    Michael

Simplex freq. 145.125
    VE3CEH Durham ARES,Ontario.

Trip with ATI 201 HANHELDS vox controled.
    VE1CR 146.610 A Sydney
    VE1OM 146.640 Gore/Central
    VE1GYS 146.700 Lundy, Guys Co. Antigonish ARC
    VE1YAR 146.730 A Yarmouth
    VE1XK 146.790 MAVCOM On = 112* Off =113* Truro / Nuttby Truro ARC
    VE1RTI 146.820 Antigonish
    VE1NZ 146.85 Dartmouth
    VE1JNR 146.880 Barrington Barrington Area ARS
    VE1HCA 146.910 Falmouth
    VE1HK 146.940 A - CTCSS 131.8 Sydney
    VE1SPR 147.000 Springhill
    VE1NIN 147.90 Hebbville
    VE1AEH 147.180 A Blomidon
    VE1LCA 147.195 A Bridgewater
    VE1WN 147.240 Greenwood
    VE1WRC 147.285 Amherst
    VE1PSR 147.270 Halifax
    VE1VO 147.300 Liverpool
    VE1BBY 147.360 Greenfield
    VE1CDN 146.970 Halifax Air Port
    VE1KIL 146.730 A Kiltarlity Mtn
    VE1LUN 147.330 Bezanson (Chester)
    VE1SCR 146.610 A Shelburne
    VE1DXI 146.685 Hammonds Plain
    VE1HR 146.760 A New Glasgow
    VE1AAR 147.015 A North Range
    VE1EXP 146.820 Lower Sackville
    VE1HAM 146.880 A Rear Boisdale
    VE1HNS 146.940 Halifax
    VE1MHR 147.030 Musquodoboit
    VE1DAR 147.150 A Dartmouth
    VE1TPR 147.195 Dalhousie Mtn
    VE1TRO 147.210 Truro / Nuttby Truro ARC
    VE1CBI 147.240 A Cape Smokey
    VE1UW 147.270 New Glasgow
    Thanks to the oparations book NovaScotia

I Love Salty Fog

Yes and "know."

In the end all who attend will have a great time. One of the top ten tourist destinations is the venue. Early arrivals will have all the salt cod and salty fog they wish.

Now about GS and BS. Good rallies have ample amounts of both.

All questions will be thoroughly evaluated and reviewed by the same committee that is studying the winter rally.

In the meantime plans are underway for the Big and Better GIG in Gotham.

Quote Originally Posted by mrich12000 View Post
    Thanks to the oparations book NovaScotia
    Thanks for all the 2 meter repeater frequencies, Michael. That was on my list of things to acquire.

73, ka1tox
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)