Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Salty Fog Rally + Highland Fling

Once there was a Tavern PAULBACH's Avatar
    Ballston Spa, NY; South of the Adirondacks, North of the Catskills and West of The Berkshires and Green Mountains

A Whale of a Time

Come to the Salty Fog Rally and have a

Whale of a time

No other rally can show you such a big time.

Finback Whales, Minke Whales and Harbour Porpoises are the first to arrive in the spring. In June, the Humpbacks begin to return; by late June they are abundant, and White-sided Dolphins are often seen. By mid-July all five species are commonly sighted and usually remain until late fall.
    Last edited by PAULBACH; 07-27-2007 at 12:49 PM.

Halifax and Larry's River, Nova Scotia, Canada

Red Shoe Dropping

...another link in the ride: http://www.redshoepub.com/
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com
    Salty Fog Riders Motorcycle Tourism Promotions
    Larry's River, Nova Scotia, CANADA

Gopheride
    c'est un rendezvous

Ballston Spa, NY; South of the Adirondacks, North of the Catskills and West of The Berkshires and Green Mountains
    Alexander Graham Bell National Historic Site
    Cape Breton's most famous resident, Alexander Graham Bell, once said, "I have traveled around ther globe. I have seen the Canadian and American Rockies, the Andes the Alps and the Highlands of Scotland, but for simple beauty, Cape Breton outrivals them all."
    doers' & dreamers'
    2007 GUIDE

Link to Historic Site

105 miles from Larry's River to Badeck; right on our route to Meat Cove about 2 hours riding

P.O. Box 159
    Baddeck, Nova Scotia
    Canada
    B0E lB0
    Tel:
    902-295-2069
    Fax:
    902-295-3496

Next Stop - Louisbourg

Last edited by PAULBACH; 07-29-2007 at 06:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by robnye View Post
    You guys will have a great time.

I was up there last weekend and had a ball.
    Hey Rob,

Any not to miss recommendations?

It's a tragedy. I have a friend getting married that same weekend, and I'm in the wedding. I know, I need to work on my priorities, but the tux is already paid for! I guess I'll have to wait until NEXT year.

I'll have a wee dram in your name. Have fun at the wedding.

About the Tides

There are approximately two high tides and two low tides within a 24-hour period in the Bay of Fundy. The time between a low tide and a high tide is about 6 hours and 13 minutes. Therefore visitors to the Fundy coast can realistically expect to see at least one high and one low tide during daylight hours.

Tide times also move ahead approximately one hour each day, and tide times vary for different locations around the Bay. One of the best ways to experience the full impression of the Bay of FundyÔÇÖs tides is to visit the same coastal location at high tide, then return about six hours later at low tide (or vice versa).
    What is a tidal bore?

A tidal bore is a tidal phenomenon in which the leading edge of the incoming tide forms a wave (or waves) of water that travel up a river or against the direction of the current.

Bores occur in relatively few locations worldwide, usually in areas with a large tidal range such as the Bay of Fundy, and where incoming tides are funneled into a shallow, narrowing river via a broad bay. The funnel-like shape not only increases the height of the tide, but it can also decrease the duration of the flood tide down to a point where the flood appears as a sudden increase in the water level.

Ride the Tidal Bore

It is one thing to ride an HP2 though deserts, forests and mountain trails. But how many folks have ridden the Tidal Bore up the Bay of Fundy?

Check here to see how to ride the Wild Tide! <- Check it out

One place to book a ride.

What does it take to ride the tidal bore? Start with a Zodiac powered by 60hp 4 stroke Mariner outboards.

Last edited by PAULBACH; 07-28-2007 at 05:16 PM. Reason: add content

I Want Your Name
    for the
    Salty Fog Rally

If you have not already done so please post your name or PM your name to PaulBach. Both first and last names are need for the Government of Nova Scotia to create your certificate and to post your name in the logs of

The Order of Good Times

If you are in Canada there is no need to swing by Havana for Cuban cigars. Any good tobacco shop up there has them. I don't smoke but that wooden box looks fine.

Last edited by PAULBACH; 07-29-2007 at 01:59 AM.

Halifax and Larry's River, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by PAULBACH View Post
    If you are in Canada there is no need to swing by Havana for Cuban cigars. Any good tobacco shop up there has them. I don't smoke but that wooden box looks fine.

the one on the left and the one on the right are primo! However, never underestemate the quality of a Dominican. Really. Get a Connecticut wrapper (aka My Way) for a good smoke. BTW Statdawg...guns: why??? "This is my weapon, this is my gun........." -Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com
    Salty Fog Riders Motorcycle Tourism Promotions
    Larry's River, Nova Scotia, CANADA

Fortress of Louisbourg

The Fortress of Louisbourg National Historic Park is the crown jewel of the Canadian Park Service and the largest historical reconstruction in Canada. Fortress Louisbourg was built to protect France's interests in the new world and to serve as the centre of its massive seasonal fishing industry. Its location near the eastern tip of Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia enabled it to serve not only as the capital of the new colony of Ile Royale but also to act as the first line of defense for France in its 18th century struggle against Great Britain for colonial supremacy in North America.
    Link for Louisbourg

"Et je d?®clare les Britanniques ?¬tre un tas de b?ótards de m?®tis. ... Vive La France"

Historical Quote, not mine.

Last edited by PAULBACH; 07-30-2007 at 12:15 AM.

From the Yankee Beermer Website

A "DO NOT MISS" while on the Cabot trail is the Canadian National Historic Park museum in Baddeck, NS. This recognizes Alexander Graham Bell, who resided in Baddeck. He was a very prolific inventor, rather like Thomas Edison. His original hydrofoil is there, a monster that was clocked around the turn of the century at some godawful speed, something like 150 MPH, on adjacent Bras d'Or Lake. Awesome.

Thanks to Yankee Beemer Website

Meat Cove

Meat Cove is one of the most beautiful places on Cape Breton. The Cove is a challenging site to visit. it is 17 miles off the Cabot Trail, the last 3 miles are over a bumpy, dirt road. The dirt road comes to a dead end at the Meat Cove Campground, perched on a highland bluff overlooking the Gulf of St. Lawrence.

Sunrise coming up from the Atlantic

The entire population of Meat Cove is probably less than 40 and most of them are members of the McClellan family, who have been living and fishing here for six generations. In fact, they own the campground.

Come join us! Can you think of a more scenic place to be? Recent research indicates Meat Cove edges out Gillette, Wyoming by a nose.

Last edited by PAULBACH; 07-31-2007 at 12:43 PM.