Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Salty Fog Rally + Highland Fling

Once there was a Tavern PAULBACH's Avatar
    Ballston Spa, NY; South of the Adirondacks, North of the Catskills and West of The Berkshires and Green Mountains
    Time is flying

If you are planning on joining us at one of the most scenic venues in North America please PM me or post your name now.

You will be eligible to join the Order of Good Times and your membership certificate will be presented to you during the rally. The Order of Good Times was established in 1606 and is the oldest social club in America.

Last edited by PAULBACH; 07-27-2007 at 02:38 PM.

Ballston Spa, NY; South of the Adirondacks, North of the Catskills and West of The Berkshires and Green Mountains

220 Miles

5 Hours and 4 Minutes

Halifax and Larry's River, Nova Scotia, Canada
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com
    Salty Fog Riders Motorcycle Tourism Promotions
    Larry's River, Nova Scotia, CANADA

Threads merged

The Salty Dog and Highland Fling threads were merged by request of the thread owners.

Ian
    Forum Liaison
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.

The Lighthouse Route

The lighthouse route follows Nova Scotia's South Shore. You'll find quiet country roads where ox teams still haul lumber, and coastal villages where fishermen still row wood dories out to sea.

Come joint us for the International Salty Fog Rally.

No vendors
    No beer tent
    No admission fee

Just some of the best riding in the Americas and camaraderie that cannot be beat.

August 16 to ??? (whenever your time/money runs out)

Don't forget to M or email me if you are coming so the Government of Nova Scotia can issue your membership certificate into the Order of Good Times.

Last edited by PAULBACH; 07-27-2007 at 02:38 PM.

....true enough Paul. Part of the costs will have to do with the Larry's River leg where we plan to have some food, music, etc. Camping or house bedroll space is free. Incidental costs really to cover food and associated supplies. There are no restaurants in Larry's River so we are preparing food for hungry arrivals plus. We volunteer the cooking and prep part! All admissions fees and camping costs, on the Cape Breton side, are, of course, additional (although we will try and obtain a group rate wherever possible).

Note: That South Shore route that Paul outlined is gorgeous albeit l-o-n-g. If you have the time then we really recommend it. I note that Tom Raddall Park is mentioned on the map. Tom's book, Warden's of the North is a great read. Visit Cape Sable Island lighthouse and beach on the way. -Bob and Mary
    Last edited by tourunigo; 07-26-2007 at 10:11 AM. Reason: clarity plus travel suggestion
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Callmethebreeze View Post
    Paul,
    I'm leaning toward the Portland-Yarmouth Ferry option since the superslab through Maine is a bore IMHO. You could take the scenic route (as I have) but you end up behind every summer tourist driving 20 mph looking for a lobster pound. Once off he ferry, Yarmouth to Halifax is 190 miles. Halifax to Cheticamp (gateway to Breton Highlands) is 260mi. or so and then on to Meat Cove is say 40mi. with 8-10 mi. on dirt.
    I'm good to go with all of this but others may wish to plan their time accordingly.

I like the fact that Meat Cove isn't on Map Quest.....my kind of place.

Breeze
    Meat Cove is not on Map Quest since it is a landing strip for Black Helicopters.

You reasoning is great and I would do the same except I want to ride over the Green Mountains to Brunswick Naval Air Station and spend one night there.

I have also built a ferry into my route to save time. Don't forget to stop at Larry's River for the encampment there.

Good to hear from you!

Another Reason to attend the Salty Fog Rally

Impossible to get there without passing through some of the most beautiful scenery in the Americas.

Motorcycle Tour Guide - Nova Scotia

To get there Click Here <- Check it out
    Last edited by PAULBACH; 07-26-2007 at 12:48 PM.

Nova Scotia Black Fly

Quote Originally Posted by Statdawg View Post
    You mean Black Flies ?
    ....please note actual size (or so it seems )
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by tourunigo View Post
    ....please note actual size (or so it seems )
    ...forgot the pic
    Attached Images Attached Images
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com

You guys will have a great time.

I was up there last weekend and had a ball.

Enjoy!
    Rob Nye
    06 R1200GSADV 06 R1200RTP
    IBA 250 My Iron Butt Rally Blog
    Bristol, Rhode Island USA
    Proud to move oil

One of the stops on the Salty Fog Rally will be the

Glenora Distillery

Discover how Canada’s only Single Malt whisky is made! Located on a 600-acre lot, the Glenora distillery invites you to visit seven buildings built in traditional “post and beam” style recalling Scottish distilleries. Once inside, see the malt kiln and the facilities for milling, storing, aging and bottling. As well as distilling Single Malt whisky, the distillery’s boutique offers a wide variety of alcohols such as Glen Breton rare Single Malt whisky, Smugglers Cove rums and Cape Breton Silver. According to master distiller Ken Roberts, the best way to appreciate Single Malt whisky is to drink it right from the source!
    Tours available daily
    9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.

Shown here are two Canadian MOA members checking out their antifreeze supply for the upcoming winter.

The water supply is carefully maintained and checked. In the winter this stream gets a bit stiff. Salty Fog Rally participants will be able to add their knowledge and experience to the quality control process.

Come on along on a brief tour that Salty Fog Rally participants will be taking.

All ingredients are carefully monitored and checked. Touringo's assistant extracts a small sample to check for quality.

Constant quality checking ensures the participants will enjoy the end of the tour.

The final product is moved to a cask to begin a mellowing process.

Come join us for a wee bit of the dram. Touringo has constantly quality checked production at the distillery. PaulBach will arrive early to double check Touringo's findings. Camping is available at the distillery.

The Slideshow <- Check it out
    Last edited by PAULBACH; 07-26-2007 at 07:12 PM.

Touringo is gathering a lot of extra touring information but here is the skinny.

Larry's River Rendezvous is:

45 degree 13'25.23" N
    61 degree 22'29.71" W

Point 1 ÔÇô LarryÔÇÖs River
    Point 2 ÔÇô Louisbourg
    Point 3 ÔÇô Meat Cove
    Point 4 ÔÇô Glenora Distillery

145 Miles from LarryÔÇÖs River to Louisbourg; Point 1 to 2
    135 Miles from Louisbourg to Meat Cove/ Point 2 to 3
    102 Miles from Meat Cove to Glenora Distillery; Point 3 to 4
    93 Miles from Glenora Distillery to LarryÔÇÖs River Point 4 to Point 5

Last edited by PAULBACH; 07-27-2007 at 02:39 PM.

...and there's only one way over to Cape Breton Island and that's across the Causeway and over the swing bridge. http://www.virtualmuseum.ca/pm.php?i...&sl=4871&pos=1

...and speaking of bridges, the Larry's River location is just one good watermelon seed spit away from Nova Scotia's only footbridge across a river. A bit of history at http://www.rootsweb.com/~nslsatb/tor...larryshist.htm
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com