Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Salty Fog Rally + Highland Fling

Halifax and Larry's River, Nova Scotia, Canada
    ... this pic is on the Meat Cove thread but I thought that I would post again. I took this picture last summer looking over at our Larry's River place. It really is as relaxing as it looks. Our house is on the left with the field rising behind it. Anyway, we would like to make a stopover here part of the overall plan. -Bob
    Attached Images Attached Images
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com
    Salty Fog Riders Motorcycle Tourism Promotions
    Larry's River, Nova Scotia, CANADA

Once there was a Tavern PAULBACH's Avatar
    Ballston Spa, NY; South of the Adirondacks, North of the Catskills and West of The Berkshires and Green Mountains

Way to go!

Thank you! Nothing like local knowledge for plotting and scheming.

I think the ferry is a good way to go since one can save 25% and more by booking now. Should call tomorrow and be sure the Cat takes motorcycles.

Available on selected sailings and dates throughout the year, our Sail & Save Fares offer a savings of 25% off from standard passenger and vehicle rates. Sail & Save Fares are applicable to passenger and low vehicle to 20’ fare, one way or return booking, not combinable with other discounts including AAA/CAA and Big Crew Discounts.

Note: $25 modification, $100 cancellation at anytime, $150 no show fees apply.

For more information call 1.877.359.3760
    (added after Touringo #20 to save space)

Quote Originally Posted by PAULBACH View Post
    Thank you! Nothing like local knowledge for plotting and scheming.

I think the ferry is a good way to go since one can save 25% and more by booking now. Should call tomorrow and be sure the Cat takes motorcycles.
    ... last time I took it motorcycles were ok. Just watch the deck though..... wet is bad. I don't take it any more because it's so expensive (I can buy gas from here to San Francisco for what that costs....). Fun though. It would be good to know if an early booking gets a better price. -Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com

Gopheride
    Date is marked. I would plan the 132 along the St lawrence to Riviere du Loup and head east from there. I have done the cat from Bar Harbour to Yarmouth and it costs. I would rather ride.....

Ballston Spa, NY; South of the Adirondacks, North of the Catskills and West of The Berkshires and Green Mountains
    the cat from Bar Harbour to Yarmouth and it costs.
    Yes! About $75 and that just for the motorcycle.

Are those dates set in stone ?

The weekend before or a later date maybe better ? But lets avoid Labor Day which is the Finger Lakes Rally.

Are there conflicting rallies going on ?
    Nothing is set in stone or even wet cement. Picking a date is always a no win situation. Conflicts are inevitable. Later than this date and the weather starts getting bad. And the present date coincides with a local folk festival.

Open to all suggestions.

As part of the Clan Campbell, I'm familiar with the cabre toss, but the photo of that young fella', looks like he's trying to steal a giant cigarette.

Woodgrain

Quote Originally Posted by PAULBACH View Post
    Yes! About $75 and that just for the motorcycle.

Nothing is set in stone or even wet cement. Picking a date is always a no win situation. Conflicts are inevitable. Later than this date and the weather starts getting bad. And the present date coincides with a local folk festival.

Open to all suggestions.
    I went on line last night and checked rates. It was 105 for a bike and 200 something for two passengers. They have no way to make a reservation for two adults and two bikes, just two adults and one bike, so it really would cost us $400to save a day. Also, if you are going from Portland the ferry leaves at 08:00 so you will need to post up the nearby the night before. If you are coming south from Yarmouth the ferry leaves at 16:00 and it is just under six hours so you may want a place in Portland as you will arrive at 22:00.

I have other plans in August but I am considering spending the week after the fourth on the Cabot Trail if I don't go to Wisconsin. I would really like to do a nice relaxed few days touring a great new spot and while the Cabot Trail fits this bill, unfortunately another trip from RI. through / around Chicago doesn't. I would really like to do both but I am taking a lot of time in August for the Iron Butt Rally. This is definately not a suggestion to schedule this during the National, I am sure it is going to be fantastic.

RedRider
    I have done the cat from Bar Harbour to Yarmouth and it costs. I would rather ride.....
    Rob Nye
    I went on line last night and checked rates. It was 105 for a bike and 200 something for two passengers. They have no way to make a reservation for two adults and two bikes, just two adults and one bike, so it really would cost us $400to save a day.
    OUCH!

Just crunched the numbers using Streets and Trips. From Ballston Spa, NY to Meat Cove via Halifax is 1264 miles one way or 19 hours in the saddle.

Gas one way is $81.

Scenic Maine with all its rock piles and pine trees gets better all the time.

From Bristol, RI to Meat Cove via Halifax is 1073 Miles with estimated riding time of 17 hrs and 34 minutes. Looks like a perfect day for an Iron Butt rider. Just to Halifax the distance is 759 miles. Bristol now added to post #13 in this thread.

Gas one way to Meat Cove estimated to be $73.

Inputs were were 45 mpg and $2.90 a gallon for gas.

More Mile Numbers to Consider

in addition to Paul's numbers I add the following:

Portland to Moncton (NB) = 391 (slab)

Portland to Moncton (NB) on Route 1 = 468 (pretty but slow without many options) However, there is a great little ferry running Campobello Island...Deer Island .... and then landing in New Brunswick. This one's great fun.

Moncton to Halifax = 159 (slab but there is a ferry in Saint John with goes to Digby, Nova Scotia. Doesn't save time or money but does bring you up through the gorgeous Annapolis Valley)

Halifax to Larry's River =197

or...if not Halifax
    Moncton to Larry's River = 237

Larry's River to Meat Cove = 200

or... if not Larry's River
    Moncton to Meat Cove = 356 (...but you'll miss the Well Flung MC Tire Toss event!)

Decisions decisions.... -Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com

belquar
    This all sounds like loads of fun. I hope the stars line up right for me to go. Means the wife will have to take off work to take care of our babies for me to go play.

I doubt I will be able to convince her to drag them up there in the minivan while I run around on the bike.

But this all sounds like loads of fun. Any divers sign up for the trip? I am certified. We could swim for our bugs. YUM. Hand pick the best ones.

Oh the anticipation.

Cool.

I forgot to post this link that I made reference to earlier. This is the ferry connections from Eastport, Maine area and ending up in New Brunswick after meandering around rocks and islands. http://www.deerisland.nb.ca/ferries.htm
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com

Gopheride

Dive for Dinner

Diving for dinner sounds like fun,but since the waters around the Cape are about 55 F on a good day,I'll have my dinner in the diner....heh...heh . Your Moosehead will be on me.
    P.S. I think that diving for lobster in NS may be considered Poaching if one does not have a permit.....

Gopheride

Diving for Dinner

Sounds like fun but the waters around the Cape are about 55F on a good day.How about Dinner in the Diner......and the Moosehead is on me....heh...heh

Numbers on the map:
    1. Halifax
    2. Larry's River
    3. Meat's Cove

Halifax to Larry's River 197 Miles
    Larry's River To Meat Cove 200 Miles

Useful Information for those that like to plan ahead
    502 383 2379 is telephone number for
    Meat Cove Campground (no website)

Nearby campground is
    Big Intervale Campground
    Their website can be found at
    www.pc.gc.ca\pn-np\ns\cbreton

Need a website for motorcycle travel in Canada
    www.motorcycletourguidens.com

For Nova Scotia visitor's information and reservations, call 1-800-565-0000. Other trails besides the Cabot Trail, the Ceilidh Trail and the Brad d'Or Lakes Scenic Drive, are the Evangeline Trail, Glooscap Trail, and the Sunrise Trail, all covered in the above visitor's information toll free number. Be sure to visit Tour Canada's website at http://www.tourcanada.com/ The sound effects alone are worth the visit.

RedRider:
    Sounds like fun but the waters around the Cape are about 55F on a good day.How about Dinner in the Diner......and the Moosehead is on me....heh...heh
    You are on. How wonderful! The last time Americans attempted to invade Canada, American forces were repeatedly repulsed by General Isaac Brock. And in retaliation there was that unfortunate incident Francis Scott Key wrote about.
    Last edited by PAULBACH; 04-05-2007 at 06:49 PM.

Highway Web Cameras for Nova Scotia. Check out the road conditions on Nova Scotia.

http://www.gov.ns.ca/tran/cameras/camera.asp
    Attached Images Attached Images