Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: '04 Rally Camping Questions

Hybrid View

Question '04 Rally Camping Questions

Spokane will be my first Rally (woo hoo!) and I have a few questions about camping:

1. Can you reserve camping spaces ahead of time or is it first come, first served?

2. Do most campers do their own cooking? If so, does the rally site camping area have water access and are their grocery stores nearby?

3. Shower facilities on site?

4. Finally, how noisy is it really in the camping areas? I like to stay up late and party but need some sleep sometime.

Thanks!
    Marty Takimoto
    1999 R1100R
    BMWMOA #107071/IBA #44006
    El Cerrito, CA

Re: '04 Rally Camping Questions

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Calnalu
    Spokane will be my first Rally (woo hoo!) and I have a few questions about camping:
    Oh Boy, a Rally Virgin!
    1. Can you reserve camping spaces ahead of time or is it first come, first served?
    Nope, first come,first served. A good recommendation is to volunteer to help @the Rally--you can get in a day early!
    2. Do most campers do their own cooking? If so, does the rally site camping area have water access and are their grocery stores nearby?
    Can cook, but most eat at the vendors on site
    3. Shower facilities on site?
    Yeah, usually the question is hot or cold.
    4. Finally, how noisy is it really in the camping areas? I like to stay up late and party but need some sleep sometime.
    There is quiet camping and not-so-quiet camping. You sound like you should plan to camp in the not-so-quiet area (I'll see you there)
    Onward, through the fog!

Paul and I usually camp in the quiet area - and then hang out in the party area ; ) Then when it's sleep time it's quiet.

Oh, and don't forget your ear plugs . . .

Voni
    sMiling
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million BMW sMiles

Re: Re: '04 Rally Camping Questions

[i]4. Finally, how noisy is it really in the camping areas? I like to stay up late and party but need some sleep sometime.
    There is quiet camping and not-so-quiet camping. You sound like you should plan to camp in the not-so-quiet area (I'll see you there)
    One thing to consider - The "quiet" area tends to have a lot of early risers that don't consider it a quiet area after sunrise. I like a no screaming/no music area to sleep that stays quiet until 8 AM. If you like to sleep late you might be better off sleeping with those who stay up late, partying.

MarkF

Mark wrote:
    One thing to consider - The "quiet" area tends to have a lot of early risers that don't consider it a quiet area after sunrise. I like a no screaming/no music area to sleep that stays quiet until 8 AM. If you like to sleep late you might be better off sleeping with those who stay up late, partying.

You sleep at rallies?

Voni
    sMiling
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million BMW sMiles

Unregistered
    Cooking?? You've got to be kidding!!

Originally posted by Voni You sleep at rallies?

Voni
    sMiling
    It keeps me from being sooooooo Miserable

MarkF

I split Marty's tent search off to Gear if you're looking for it.

dave
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

Ridin' the keyboard

Question RV camping/parking

I see that several sites have been posted for RV parks near the fairgrounds, I was under the impression that RV's would be allowed on site. Is this not true? If RV's are allowed on site I'm pumped, if they are not I need to start finding a place to put it as they will probably fill up fast.
    Jason
    MOA#109159
    AMA#699688
    '03 K1200LTC Impala Brown (RIP)

There's usually a spot for RVs at nationals.

If you poke around the main MOA page, you should be able to find the list of rally chairs and see who the RV coordinator is.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

Candidate for Director Jackie Hughes's Avatar

Re: RV camping/parking

Originally posted by swaanimal
    I see that several sites have been posted for RV parks near the fairgrounds, I was under the impression that RV's would be allowed on site. Is this not true? If RV's are allowed on site I'm pumped, if they are not I need to start finding a place to put it as they will probably fill up fast.
    The rally site has it's own RV park which can accomodate about 200 RV's in various forms of hook-ups from full to none. Carol Anger will be in charge of the RV reservations and you will begin to see information on how to reserve your spot soon.

We added the other site information for those who may choose to come earlier or stay later than the rally dates.
    Jackie Hughes
    '86 K75, '99 Ducati Monster 750
    Spokane, WA

Ridin' the keyboard
    Thanks,
    That really takes a load off of my mind. I'll keep looking for the updates.
    Jason
    MOA#109159
    AMA#699688
    '03 K1200LTC Impala Brown (RIP)

SweetT

how fast to the campsites fill up?

I am planning on getting to the rally on the late morning/early afternoon of the 15th. Will I still be able to get a camping site at the rally? Typically how crowded do the campsites get? I know it'll be full, but I dont really want to camp 3ft away from another tent.

Thanks,
    Tarren shaw

Unregistered
    They pack em in pretty tight- but more like 6 to 10 feet apart would be average.

Terren,

Generally what happens is that the spots under trees go first. The area near (but not too close) to the beer garden, showers etc fill up as well as any shaded areas. Camping can be "intimate" in the "prime" areas.. The rally site is large enough that if you want to get away a little you should be able to find a nice spot.

What I think is the slick setup is to bring your own shade and make your own site primo. Visian demonstrates how with minimal effort you can turn just about anyplace into a great campsite.

While it may look like he has a ton of stuff to carry you don't need to ride a GS to camp in such splendor. His picture convinced me that it is time to upgrade.

I think one of these shelters is in my future. It weighs in at under five pounds with adjustable poles
    which you can easily save by replacing heavy blue jeans with convertable pants.

FWIW, REI site used for the pictures only; when ready to buy agressive shopping can yield big savings on this type of gear.

See you in Spokane!

Best,
    Rob Nye
    06 R1200GSADV 06 R1200RTP
    IBA 250 My Iron Butt Rally Blog
    Bristol, Rhode Island USA
    Proud to move oil