Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Made to move to Hex - R1200R - Tools Question

Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft FredRydr's Avatar

Made to move to Hex - R1200R - Tools Question

In 1999, I moved from Suzuki to my first BMW: a new '99 R1100R Special Edition - black with pinstripes. It had an early violent demise. Then a new '02 R1150R (black) for 66,000 miles that was used heartily until I rode a few hexheads. Yesterday, I picked up my R1200R. Tranny and motor and brakes are so much better, even if the manufacture doesn't feel as "robust" (i.e., heavy). My only dilemma is whether to go ahead on Tuesday with the agreed swap out of pretty crystal grey bodywork to traditional black with stripes!

Tools Question: Since BMW is cutting back on onboard tools, are there recommendations on specific tools to add? Also, which wrench/socket sizes and driver bits will be needed? I've hung on to my R1150R tool roll and my tool pouch of sockets, etc., until I get the answer to this question. For instance, I assume the oilhead plug wire puller and lug wrench will still be nice to have on hand, even though the hexhead doesn't come with one. I've been told by sales there is an optional upgraded tool kit from BMW that I have yet to find details about; is it worth it?

Advice please?

Fred

Don't know about the R, but on the RT there are about 1 million Torx 25 screws holding everything together. I keep a stubby screw driver with a number of Torx bits in it. I'm lucky, my SO has a R12CL, and it has a pretty decent kit with it.

http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fic...p?mospid=49569 - This is a link to the Fiche page at Max for the R and at the bottom there is a breakout of the tool kit(s).

Cheers!

Dave...

K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    In 1999, I moved from Suzuki to my first BMW: a new '99 R1100R Special Edition - black with pinstripes. It had an early violent demise. Then a new '02 R1150R (black) for 66,000 miles that was used heartily until I rode a few hexheads. Yesterday, I picked up my R1200R. Tranny and motor and brakes are so much better, even if the manufacture doesn't feel as "robust" (i.e., heavy). My only dilemma is whether to go ahead on Tuesday with the agreed swap out of pretty crystal grey bodywork to traditional black with stripes!

Tools Question: Since BMW is cutting back on onboard tools, are there recommendations on specific tools to add? Also, which wrench/socket sizes and driver bits will be needed? I've hung on to my R1150R tool roll and my tool pouch of sockets, etc., until I get the answer to this question. For instance, I assume the oilhead plug wire puller and lug wrench will still be nice to have on hand, even though the hexhead doesn't come with one. I've been told by sales there is an optional upgraded tool kit from BMW that I have yet to find details about; is it worth it?

Advice please?

Fred
    I think the supplementary tool kit is a good buy and probably all you will need. 71 60 7 691 294 is the part number.
    My other bike is a BMW.
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

wsteinborn
    Quote Originally Posted by cjack View Post
    I think the supplementary tool kit is a good buy and probably all you will need. 71 60 7 691 294 is the part number.
    I tried to get one at my local dealer and they kept talking me out of it.

I'll have to pick it up elsewhere. I want the coil/wire puller and other specialized tools.

I am going to sell my ASA Motion Pro toolkit and buy a metric version. Very handy.

K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wsteinborn View Post
    I tried to get one at my local dealer and they kept talking me out of it.

I'll have to pick it up elsewhere. I want the coil/wire puller and other specialized tools.

I am going to sell my ASA Motion Pro toolkit and buy a metric version. Very handy.
    My dealer usually keeps them in stock. I part time there. Twin City BMW in Savoy, IL.
    My other bike is a BMW.
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

Hi Fred,

Sorry I can't address your tool question, but I just wanted to say I saw you from afar at the dealership on Saturday (I was getting an oil filter and crush washer over at the parts counter). You looked like a man who was getting a new bike. I would have stopped to say, "hello," but you guys ducked into an office. Enjoy your new hexhead.

And yes to the traditional black!
    Ben Ricci

Rides & Drives: '07 BMW F800ST Low, '07 Porsche Cayman, '06 VW Jetta TDI & '05 BMW R1200ST

Tool update

For instance, I assume the oilhead plug wire puller and lug wrench will still be nice to have on hand, even though the hexhead doesn't come with one.
    I applied the oilhead tools to the '07 R1200R hexhead, and they were useless. The oilhead's plug wire puller does not fit on the hexhead. The hexhead rear wheel lugbolts into the swingarm are torx, so the traditional oilhead lugwrench is, again, useless.

Fred

Quote Originally Posted by bricciphoto View Post
    You looked like a man who was getting a new bike.
    I would have wanted your vote on color; glad you chose the same as I did. Sorry I missed you. Next time, be sure to say hello, because I tend to forget.

Thanks!

Fred
    '07 R

You'll need the little plug wire puller, along with a decent of Torx bits. I bought some at Sears and they completely stuck. They came on a red card and I've already mangled the T50 taking the bolts out to swap the shocks. I'm not sure what I'm going to do about replacing them, since the only option I seem to be able to find is SnapOn. $$$$$

Other than that, I'm using the same stuff I use on the rest of my boxers.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

Are the lug bolts T50?

Fred

Are the lug bolts T50?

Fred
    Yeah. I caught the Snap On guy yesterday and bought a socket - $25.

OUCH.

But it fits a hundred times better than that other, crappy one I had.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

It's interesting that BMW decided to include a few tools, but none designed to deal with a flat tire (remove rear wheel, repair tire).

$25 well spent. I turned to Snap-On for the only source of 1/4-inch drive ball-head 6mm hex for the infamous upper bolts for the Roadster touring shield. It was worth the $16!

Fred

It's interesting that BMW decided to include a few tools, but none designed to deal with a flat tire (remove rear wheel, repair tire).

$25 well spent. I turned to Snap-On for the only source of 1/4-inch drive ball-head 6mm hex for the infamous upper bolts for the Roadster touring shield. It was worth the $16!

Fred
    My RT has the poor tool kit, but my GS, which was an early production model, has tools the help with wheel removal, plug wire removal and the like.

I was at Marin BMW yesterday and they had this nifty little roll of Tork bits with long handles on them. The handles flip down, so you have something like a little breaker bar on the end of the bit. Very nice.

They have them for allen bolts, too.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Quote Originally Posted by KBasa View Post
    I was at Marin BMW yesterday and they had this nifty little roll of Tork bits...
    Brand? (So I can find it east of the Susquehanna.)

Fred

Brand? (So I can find it east of the Susquehanna.)

Fred
    I wish I could remember. If you want, call Greg at 415 454 2041 and he can give you a hand with them. Heck, he'd probably take your money and ship them to you, if you ask nicely.

If I get down there in the next day or so, I'll take a look.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA