Thread: 07 1200 gsa

07 1200 gsa

Long time reader, first time writer. Hope I'm doing this right. Just bought a new 1200 GSA and starting to add things to it. One thing is that I need the windshield to be a little taller. I'm about 6'5" tall. The dealer said some guys modify the (adjustment stop?) buy cutting off the little black tab that prevents the shield from raising any higher. Its looks if I do this I could get about another 1-1 1/2" more from the adjustment. Just wandering if anyone has done this or should I buy a taller windscreen? If a taller windscreen is in order any recommendations would help. Also looking for a tankbag that is a little smaller than the BMW bag, and one that will allow the cross bar to stay in place.
    Last edited by RHedman; 06-22-2007 at 08:16 PM.

SNC1923
    Welcome!

Enjoy that GSA. Just got one myself.

Can't help you with the windshield. Modifying the stops seems reasonable, if you're a good fabricator. Otherwise, someone like Cee Bailey may have an alternative.

I did EXTENSIVE research into the tankbag thing. So far the only option that seems to sit well with the cross bar is the NEW GS tankbag from BMW. It's much smaller than their original tank rucksack, but it's still voluminous.

I finally settled on a Touratech for mine. I had to roll the handlebars forward a bit, but the cross bar only touches when the bars are locked all the way over. It's a neat tankbag with well-planned pockets and an oversized map pocket. I had to buy a small organizer to go inside, but it hold everything I need, including small binoculars and a digital SLR w/ zoom. Check it out if you're not familiar with it.

Touratech Tank Bag

Here's some pics of the bike with the bag on it:

I use the large Wolfman Expedition bag on my 1200 Adv. No problems with the handlebar and crossbar. Plus, it needs no raincover

When you come to a fork in the road, take it.

Quote Originally Posted by RHedman View Post
    Long time reader, first time writer. Hope I'm doing this right. Just bought a new 1200 GSA and starting to add things to it. One thing is that I need the windshield to be a little taller. I'm about 6'5" tall. The dealer said some guys modify the (adjustment stop?) buy cutting off the little black tab that prevents the shield from raising any higher. Its looks if I do this I could get about another 1-1 1/2" more from the adjustment. Just wandering if anyone has done this or should I buy a taller windscreen? If a taller windscreen is in order any recommendations would help. Also looking for a tankbag that is a little smaller than the BMW bag, and one that will allow the cross bar to stay in place.
    There have been several threads on screens that you could search. I will give you my recommendation though: Cee Bailey screens have one, big advantage: you can have your screen made "your way." Starting with the stock dimensions, I ordered a screen 2 inches wider and 4 inches taller.

I really only use the larger screen for cold-weather riding so I can keep the ice-blasts away from me entirely.

Gus

07 1200 Gsa

Thanks for all the info. This gives me some great places to start. Nice looking bikes, mine also is Alpine White. Trying to get things ready to attend the International Rally. I have never been to one and it looks like a great time.

Thanks again. Roy

Roy,

I'm 6'5". While at the touratechusa.com web site check out their very effective R12GSADV stock screen spoiler for $100. It is a screen extension you clamp to the top of your stock screen. Take it off if you want, especially for off road, leave it on if you want -- it really helps.

Here's the link: http://www.touratech-usa.com/shop/sh...0E0511AA675E51