Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: camping

Quote Originally Posted by JCabranes View Post
    Or you can get a bunch of 33 gallon garbage bags, slice them to open them up then duct tape them together and stand them up with some nice aluminum poles. That'll give you all the shade you need and its light to pack.
    You've been hanging around Brian too long.
    Sue Rihn #43753
    BMW MOA Ambassador
    It's Billings in 2015! #BeTheAdventure
    Sometimes it's the bend in the road that makes life worth the ride.

Hope I get to set up camp next to Rob.

His awning is big enough for both of our tents.

OTOH If he doesn't want to share, he can not shame me out of putting up a blue, plastic, noisy, flappy, crappy $10 Wally World shade cover.

I'm smart enough to not sit out in the sun, in Wisconsin, in July. No shade trees = mandatory tarp.

I will camp twice this year. Doesn't even begin to make sense to pay for top quality gear when you consider the cost per use. Even if it lasts 10 years. Then again, I may not be camping when I'm 70 so 10 years is probably too long of a time frame to even consider.

My mileage does vary.
    Last edited by Bud; 06-22-2007 at 10:31 PM.
    I used to post here, but now I don't.

I'm not planning on spending much time in my tent during daylight hours.
    2012 R1200GS

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad

camping

In a previous era, my wife and I used to backpack in the Rockies with a 30 dollar Crappy Tire tent. One weekend we were camped at Baker Lake, which is about 20 kilometres from the trailhead near Lake Louise ski area.

During the night, we got horizontal rain with winds of about 70 km / hour. I had the tent tethered down with a number of extra guy lines, and it did not blow away, but the window covering flaps were tied down on the outside of the tent, so I had the pleasure of going out several times to re - adjust them to keep spray from blowing through the tent.

The next week I went down to the outfitter's and got a Eureka Meridian for $400 and it's worked well for us, for 25 years. It's gone through some incredible blows.

Motorcycle camping isn't as critical for equipment, but I'm with Rob on getting good stuff.

Rinty

Quote Originally Posted by rinty View Post
    In a previous era, my wife and I used to backpack in the Rockies with a 30 dollar Crappy Tire tent. One weekend we were camped at Baker Lake, which is about 20 kilometres from the trailhead near Lake Louise ski area.

During the night, we got horizontal rain with winds of about 70 km / hour. I had the tent tethered down with a number of extra guy lines, and it did not blow away, but the window covering flaps were tied down on the outside of the tent, so I had the pleasure of going out several times to re - adjust them to keep spray from blowing through the tent.

The next week I went down to the outfitter's and got a Eureka Meridian for $400 and it's worked well for us, for 25 years. It's gone through some incredible blows.

Motorcycle camping isn't as critical for equipment, but I'm with Rob on getting good stuff.

Rinty

If I was going camping for another 25 years, I would be happy to pay $16/yr for a great tent also.

camping

I would be happy to pay $16 per year.......SIBUD
    We Dutch wrote the book on thrift.

Rinty

ENGINEROD
    Thanks for all the info.........My ship just left Muskegon, we dropped off a load of coal.
    I hope to be on the ferry from here on the morning of the 12th. See you at the rally.

enginerod

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by wuli959 View Post
    The MSR trap products are great! Hate to admit that I own three different versions including a humongous one that will cover several picnic tables or a entire girls lacrosse team

Another option to consider is a product supplied by Mountain Sun Touring company called the Moto Cabana . It is set up a little differently as it uses your tent on one end for support and uses one pole out front. HUGE coverage. Lighter overall weight and compactness The photo on their site doesn't do justice to the product. It's really works well.

Here is one pitched by using a megamid tent . . .

lots of room to stay shady or dry as the sky demands
    Thanks for including a picture of the tarp you use. I just ordered the exact same one in order to have it in time for the rally. I was looking hard at the Parawing but after looking at price vs. value of both options I voted for the Moto Cabana. Now I can apply my $$$ savings toward a new Kermit chair. Looking forward to trying both out at the rally.

This forum is terrific in regards to all of the great tips I've picked up, but if I learn any more I'm gonna go broke...

Quote Originally Posted by SIBUD View Post
    His awning is big enough for both of our tents.

OTOH If he doesn't want to share, he can not shame me out of putting up a blue, plastic, noisy, flappy, crappy $10 Wally World shade cover.

I'm smart enough to not sit out in the sun, in Wisconsin, in July. No shade trees = mandatory tarp.

I will camp twice this year. Doesn't even begin to make sense to pay for top quality gear when you consider the cost per use. Even if it lasts 10 years. Then again, I may not be camping when I'm 70 so 10 years is probably too long of a time frame to even consider.

My mileage does vary.
    Started looking around after someone mentioned the Kelty Noah and ordered a 12X12 from Campmore. So Rob is safe for now.

Quote Originally Posted by rinty View Post
    We Dutch wrote the book on thrift.

Rinty

... I heard that copper wire was invented when two Dutchman got into an argument over a penny.

I have to see it all!

Thumbs up WOW! Too much information!

I have to agree, I have learned more in the last hour reading these forum things than hanging around my local BMW shop here in Savoy, IL. I went to the BMW rally in Redman, OR in 01 and had to sell my 01GS. I now have an 02GS and am going to West Bend. I wish I could afford a cover but have a cheap $25 used Eureka 3-man. I have a lot to learn and with great people like all of you I will someday know more.

I look forward to seeing all of the inovations at the rally.

Brad R. #97620
    2002 1150GS
    Savoy, IL

Quote Originally Posted by Rebgen View Post
    Thanks for including a picture of the tarp you use. I just ordered the exact same one in order to have it in time for the rally. I was looking hard at the Parawing but after looking at price vs. value of both options I voted for the Moto Cabana. Now I can apply my $$$ savings toward a new Kermit chair. Looking forward to trying both out at the rally.

This forum is terrific in regards to all of the great tips I've picked up, but if I learn any more I'm gonna go broke...

Just a quick update one year later....

I learned a few things along the way. For instance, take the front pole down in winds beyond 15mph. The canopy provided terrific shade at the West Bend Rally last sumer. It was a nice shady place to enjoy a cigar sitting in my new Kermit chair.

When I came back to my tent Saturday afternoon I discovered my canopy down and a rip where the pole inserts in the top gromit....completely blown out. The tent was facing south with a moderate westerly wind blowing. I was a little disappointed that the canopy didn't hold up to non-storm strength winds.

I recently had a luggage repair shop install another gromit in place and it looks as good as new. I love the shade it provides for the tent and it definitely cools it down a bit. Now I'll plan to keep a closer eye on the wind and drop the pole if it kicks up. My only concern is if it gets windy again while I'm out on a ride.

I'm always open for additrional pointers/tips on managing the wind.
    Last edited by Rebgen; 06-06-2008 at 04:58 PM.
    98 R1200C Canyon Red

How do you feel about the price - value now?

I sounds like it would be a good idea to take the pole out when you go riding and put it back up when you return. It looks like the design does not let air flow around and under which is why the gromet pulled out, too much load on the corner.

If it happens again ask the person who is helping with the gromet to see if they can get some stickey back nylon (sailmakers repair cloth) and reinforce the corner, then punch the gromet though both.

FWIW, I bought my parawing in 2004 and have used it almost 20 times including the 04,5,6 and 7 nationals (up for almost a week) with no service issues at all. It has extra material in the corners for reinforcement, perhaps this accounts for some of the extra cost.

I do my best to make sure it is packed dry and I unpack, wash and hang dry when I get home.

Thanks for the tip on the sailmakers repair cloth. Hopefully I won't need to try that option but it'll be good to have another fix if needed.

Regarding my feeling on price vs. value so far, I'd say I'm happy so far. The early grommet failure was disappointing but it only cost $10 to repair to new condition. The Kermit chair I purchased with the savings is working perfectly. Obviously, if the Moto Cabana fails again my feelings regarding the wisdom of my purchase won't be so hot. Time and experience going forward will tell the story.

To add a margin of safety I will plan to drop the pole when I'm away for the day or during high wind conditions. I'll plan to post an update after several more camping trips.....pro or con.

****My Eureka WindRiver geodome tent just had its twenty year anniversary, so I've definitely received my moneys worth on THAT purchase.
    98 R1200C Canyon Red

If you simply wrap the cord once around the pole post over the tarp grommet .(making the attachment over and under the tarp) . . you'll minimize any problems with the tarp coming off the pole and resulting damage.

I have a parawing and outfitter wing over the picnic table that are used when when car camping. Quality is excellent but I find them a bit heavy to pack . . . at least with the supplied pole segments.

I just prefer the motocabana for how it packs down for trips in my pannier.

YMMV