Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 46

Thread: camping

  1. #16
    Registered User Fritzc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Central Michigan
    Posts
    657
    Quote Originally Posted by robnye View Post
    I am glad you like Sierra Trading Post, however they don't sell the MSR Parawing which is what this discussion is about.

    In other words a 20 second extra effort can insure a post is relevant.
    Sorry but I thought $230 was a bit expensive for a 10 foot square piece of nylon. In which case my post WAS relevant. JMHO Guess I had better check up on this MSR Parawing, it must be a little more than it appears.
    There are two things to aim at in life; first to get what you want, and after that to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. -Logan Pearsall Smith, essayist (1865-1946)

  2. #17
    '99 '03 '06 National Co-Rally Chair Friedle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    Posts
    883

    instant shade

    Another alternative is the Kelty Noah Tarp available from ....... you guessed it.....
    Campmor! It comes in at least two sizes, the Noah 9 and the Noah 12, might even be a third choice still current, the Noah 16.

    I've been using the Noah 9 for a bunch of years and love it. Rolls up small, takes a beating, has been put away wet without molding, but dries in just a few minutes exposure to the sun if covered with early morning dew. Like Rob, I try to set the entrance of my tent under the parawing and there is still plenty of room for my kermit chair and a couple of friends. If the group is going to get large and maybe rowdy, we can just move over to Rob's circus tent.

    Friedle
    Ride fast safely

  3. #18
    HODAG
    Guest
    blue tarp at walmart

  4. #19
    Roadster Rider sjbmw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    576
    Quote Originally Posted by Friedle View Post
    Another alternative is the Kelty Noah Tarp available from ....... you guessed it.....
    Campmor! It comes in at least two sizes, the Noah 9 and the Noah 12, might even be a third choice still current, the Noah 16.

    I've been using the Noah 9 for a bunch of years and love it. Rolls up small, takes a beating, has been put away wet without molding, but dries in just a few minutes exposure to the sun if covered with early morning dew. Like Rob, I try to set the entrance of my tent under the parawing and there is still plenty of room for my kermit chair and a couple of friends. If the group is going to get large and maybe rowdy, we can just move over to Rob's circus tent.

    Friedle
    Just picked up the 12 from Campmor. When the sun gets high I will remember this thread.
    Sig? What's a Sig?

  5. #20
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,007
    The MSR trap products are great! Hate to admit that I own three different versions including a humongous one that will cover several picnic tables or a entire girls lacrosse team

    Another option to consider is a product supplied by Mountain Sun Touring company called the Moto Cabana . It is set up a little differently as it uses your tent on one end for support and uses one pole out front. HUGE coverage. Lighter overall weight and compactness The photo on their site doesn't do justice to the product. It's really works well.

    Here is one pitched by using a megamid tent . . .


    lots of room to stay shady or dry as the sky demands
    Last edited by wuli959; 06-22-2007 at 07:10 PM. Reason: add photo

  6. #21
    BOKRIJDER
    Guest

    Parawing

    Quote Originally Posted by Fritzc View Post
    Sorry but I thought $230 was a bit expensive for a 10 foot square piece of nylon. In which case my post WAS relevant. JMHO Guess I had better check up on this MSR Parawing, it must be a little more than it appears.
    I've used a Parawing for a number of years. The cut of the tarp exhibits no flat surfaces akin to a boat sail. The beauty in the design is that, if set properly, it is windproof. Mountain winds, thunderstorm first gust, it just stands there.
    My wing is about 10 years old and is still in excellent condition. The price has gone up significantly, inflation I suppose.

    Motard

  7. #22
    Hogaan! testinglogin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Toledo, OH
    Posts
    4,745
    Quote Originally Posted by Fritzc View Post
    Sorry but I thought $230 was a bit expensive for a 10 foot square piece of nylon. In which case my post WAS relevant. JMHO Guess I had better check up on this MSR Parawing, it must be a little more than it appears.
    I agree about the price; it's hard to justify spending as much (or more) on a parawing as I did for my tent. I even got a new tent this year, with a large vestibule, fly-first design (you then can "hang the tent from the fly - great in rain!) and it's 3.5-season... and was the same price as one of those parawings. I guess I'm just cheap...

    Of course, now that I checked out the price on the Kelty Noah, I could actually see buying one of those. Unfortunately, upon closer inspection, that is the cost for the tarp ONLY. Then you have to add $30 for a pole (possibly have to get TWO of those it seems), so that kicks the price up to about $85-$115 for the 9x9 model. Still better than a parawing, though.

  8. #23
    Registered User dancogan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    SE Michigan
    Posts
    2,222
    Quote Originally Posted by Fritzc View Post
    Sorry but I thought $230 was a bit expensive for a 10 foot square piece of nylon. In which case my post WAS relevant. JMHO Guess I had better check up on this MSR Parawing, it must be a little more than it appears.
    It was relevant, Fritz. JMHO
    Dan

  9. #24
    Registered User ltrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    165
    Another great product is the Kelty Sunshade. It comes in a couple of different sizes, and runs about $150 - $170. You can get it in several different places including REI. I had mine in the Lima storm with no problems. The great thing is, is that you can move it after it's put up.http://www.amazon.com/Kelty-Sunshade.../dp/B0000AMLHP

    Hope this helps!

  10. #25
    donkes
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by enginerod View Post
    I just want to know if I can put up a tent at the campground. I am on a ship and won't get off until a day or so before the rally. I will have to get home to Michigan, after three months, and start packing for the rally. My wife is wondering about my priority,s, but this will be my first rally.
    Get a lawyer - maybe you can get one from Walmart or on the web. Either bring her (she can follow in a car) or start the long and costly goodby process.

  11. #26
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,007
    Quote Originally Posted by Motard View Post
    I've used a Parawing for a number of years. The cut of the tarp exhibits no flat surfaces akin to a boat sail. The beauty in the design is that, if set properly, it is windproof. Mountain winds, thunderstorm first gust, it just stands there.
    My wing is about 10 years old and is still in excellent condition. The price has gone up significantly, inflation I suppose.

    Motard
    When the parawing is set up correctly it is incredibily strong. We use ours at the beach using sand anchors and it has always held well with the constant winds.

  12. #27
    Ritalin Poster Boy rob nye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Bristol, Rhode Island
    Posts
    2,939
    Plenty of good stuff here.

    RE: Expense the MSR price includes poles, stakes and rope but yes it is still on the pricy side although one user did report that after 10 years his is still going strong.

    So you can go to wally world and purchase a blue tarp every time you go camping which seems to be the culture we are headed toward this summer. Considering poly tarps use petroleum product and are generally left behind for someone else to deal with for my use it is not an acceptable solution. Of course YMMV and all that. What is the cost to society if everyone who wanted shade set up a hillbilly camp with poly tarps each year?

    I am a big fan of qulity camping gear. If cared for properly it will last a very long time. Another benefit is that in the event of a serious storm (think Lima) while everyone else is bailing out their tent and drying their sleeping bag I am helping them out because my stuff is secure. I will say that in Lima just before the strom hit I pulled the poles on the 'wing and retensioned the ropes so it would not flog or pull a stake.

    FWIW, MSR stands for Mountan Safety Research and all their gear is "Everest ready". I would not claim to have my survival depend on my tent while MC camping but my enjoyment does. I also have been known to winter camp (not on a bike) and use my gear for non mc travel too which helps justify the expense.

    It is up to you to decide if you want to go that route, as Mike said the Kelty he has is perfect for his use.

    In the end every solution mentioned in this thread would be fine for a rally.

  13. #28
    JCABRANES
    Guest
    Or you can get a bunch of 33 gallon garbage bags, slice them to open them up then duct tape them together and stand them up with some nice aluminum poles. That'll give you all the shade you need and its light to pack.

  14. #29
    ENGINEROD
    Guest

    Thank You All

    Thank you all for the information. This will be my first rally and I am looking forward to meeting everyone. To robnye....I am on a ship..a great lake 1000 footer. I am due of in Superior Wis. on the 7th of July. I will have to get home to Haslett Mich. unpack the truck.....pack the bike and leave my wife again. I left home on 15th of April. She is wishing me a good time. The horses will keep her home.

  15. #30
    Hogaan! testinglogin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Toledo, OH
    Posts
    4,745
    Quote Originally Posted by robnye View Post
    Plenty of good stuff here.

    RE: Expense the MSR price includes poles, stakes and rope but yes it is still on the pricy side although one user did report that after 10 years his is still going strong.

    So you can go to wally world and purchase a blue tarp every time you go camping which seems to be the culture we are headed toward this summer. Considering poly tarps use petroleum product and are generally left behind for someone else to deal with for my use it is not an acceptable solution. Of course YMMV and all that. What is the cost to society if everyone who wanted shade set up a hillbilly camp with poly tarps each year?

    I am a big fan of qulity camping gear. If cared for properly it will last a very long time. Another benefit is that in the event of a serious storm (think Lima) while everyone else is bailing out their tent and drying their sleeping bag I am helping them out because my stuff is secure. I will say that in Lima just before the strom hit I pulled the poles on the 'wing and retensioned the ropes so it would not flog or pull a stake.

    FWIW, MSR stands for Mountan Safety Research and all their gear is "Everest ready". I would not claim to have my survival depend on my tent while MC camping but my enjoyment does. I also have been known to winter camp (not on a bike) and use my gear for non mc travel too which helps justify the expense.

    It is up to you to decide if you want to go that route, as Mike said the Kelty he has is perfect for his use.

    In the end every solution mentioned in this thread would be fine for a rally.
    I agree that it's better to buy quality equipment that will last for a long time; which is why I have invested so much money this year on a tent, a super-packable but warm sleeping bag, a nice duffel, and on and on and on. I'm not taking anything additional for shade, actually; I'll be out for 14 days (before/after rally) and will camp all but one night, so it pays to have good gear. For the amount of miles I'll be covering, it's not worth the extra time to set up a parawing; I probably won't be stopping until the sun is lower in the sky.

    As for MSR, I'd like to see someone climb everest and then set up a parawing at the top.

    In all seriousness, I've seen them, I've sat under them, and they ARE a quality product. I still have troubles parting with that much money for one.. but I DID finally cave and get a Kermit chair; although mine was a "mistake" model (one leg slightly big if you want to use the leg extensions), so I got it for less than the normal price.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •