Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: camping

ENGINEROD

camping

I just want to know if I can put up a tent at the campground. I am on a ship and won't get off until a day or so before the rally. I will have to get home to Michigan, after three months, and start packing for the rally. My wife is wondering about my priority,s, but this will be my first rally.

Of course you can.

Just get there as early as you can and sign up as a volunteer cuz all the best spots will be scoped out by Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by enginerod View Post
    I just want to know if I can put up a tent at the campground. I am on a ship and won't get off until a day or so before the rally. I will have to get home to Michigan, after three months, and start packing for the rally. My wife is wondering about my priority,s, but this will be my first rally.

The rally site is 133 acres of flat, grassy tent space. Bring your own shade because the trees are all quite immature - meaning there will be no "best camping" - despite Rob's remark.

Regardless of what day you arrive, you will have a nice place to put your tent and make new freinds. If you arrive early to help with Set-up, that's cool. Plan to roll up your sleeves and break a sweat with the rest of us. If you don't roll in until Thursday or Friday, you will still be able to find a nice, flat piece of grass to call home for the rally, and you will still have a wonderful time!

Welcome home. We'll have a cold one ready for you when you get here.
    Sue Rihn #43753
    BMW MOA Ambassador
    It's Billings in 2015! #BeTheAdventure
    Sometimes it's the bend in the road that makes life worth the ride.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by robnye View Post
    Of course you can.

Just get there as early as you can and sign up as a volunteer cuz all the best spots will be scoped out by Tuesday.
    The only requirement I have for a camping spot is about 10 yards upwind from a port-a-potty. A lot of campers want shade but after 11:00 at night it is all shade!
    There are two things to aim at in life; first to get what you want, and after that to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. -Logan Pearsall Smith, essayist (1865-1946)

Quote Originally Posted by enginerod View Post
    Hey enginerod,

I missed the part about being on a ship, are you a merchant mariner or Navy? I used to be a large yacht captain (100 ton ticket) and now work for a Shipowning company.

As for my remark about "best camping" I am just taking a little poke at the folks who feel the only way they can enjoy the rally is by getting there before you and me. While the published dates of the rally are JUly 12-15 those "in the know" will show up as early as Monday and "volunteer". Don't be alarmed if when you show up on the published start date if it feels like you missed half the event, other than being in whatever the squatters consider the "prime" camping you haven't missed a thing. The seminars, great bands and such doesn't start until Thursday.

Sue's comment about bringing your own shade is excellent advice. As someone under constant care for skin cancer I need all the help I can get. A few years ago after reading Ian Schmiesser's excellent articles on camping I purchased a MSR Parawing and had it drop shipped to Spokane. It has proven itself in blazing sun and cold rain.

I don't put it over the tent, but I do cover the vestablue and leave room for some shade for a chair or two.

So come to the rally and have a great time. If you see my wing (look for the blue flag) stop by for a cold beverage and a warm hello.

Best,
    Rob Nye
    06 R1200GSADV 06 R1200RTP
    IBA 250 My Iron Butt Rally Blog
    Bristol, Rhode Island USA
    Proud to move oil

I like that fly, Rob. Who's is it and where can I get one?

Thanks!

Wez

Bikes, Guitars, and ... beemokat's Avatar

I'm not Rob, but...

Quote Originally Posted by wezul View Post
    I like that fly, Rob. Who's is it and where can I get one?

Thanks!

Wez
    I don't play him on TV either.
    It's an MSR Parawing, probably available from REI or EMS. My bad for posting without doing the research.
    Wherever you go, there you are.

Cool, thanks. Lack of shade at the Nat'l site demands a somethin'-somethin' methinks.
    Doh! Read Rob's post a little more thoroughly this time.

Bikes, Guitars, and ... beemokat's Avatar

OK, I did the research

Quote Originally Posted by BeemoKat View Post
    I don't play him on TV either.
    It's an MSR Parawing, probably available from REI or EMS. My bad for posting without doing the research.
    Available at REI, but not EMS.
    Wherever you go, there you are.

Campmor (www.campmor.com) has them for $230.

I have had mine for four years and it is still in great shape. It withstood the storm at Lima and I probably have about 45 days of use.

The trick is to give it a rinse and dry before storage, this way there is no mildew.

It packs down to the size of a small tent and weighs around 8lbs.

There are other cheaper flys available but most don't stand up to heavy weather.

Angry Campmore

I must have bought something from Campmore once because I've been getting their catalogs for years and there is nothing I've found in there that cannot be purchased for much less money locally or from other mail order houses.
    www.sierratradingpost.com for one
    There are two things to aim at in life; first to get what you want, and after that to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. -Logan Pearsall Smith, essayist (1865-1946)

Quote Originally Posted by Fritzc View Post
    I must have bought something from Campmore once because I've been getting their catalogs for years and there is nothing I've found in there that cannot be purchased for much less money locally or from other mail order houses.
    www.sierratradingpost.com for one
    I am glad you like Sierra Trading Post, however they don't sell the MSR Parawing which is what this discussion is about.

In other words a 20 second extra effort can insure a post is relevant.

Campmor does sell the 'wing.

If you don't like Campmor you can also get it at REI

Cabelas? Nope.

EMS? Nope.

You can also purchase it direct from Mountain Safety Research (MSR)

I am also willing to wager that there aren't any camping stores in central Michigan that will have one in stock , let alone for less.

HODAG
    Quote Originally Posted by robnye View Post

I am also willing to wager that there aren't any camping stores in central Michigan that will have one in stock , let alone for less.
    try moosejaw mountaineering

they price match online also
    We price match. That's right. If you find the same exact item you purchased on sale within 14 days of your original purchase, we will credit you for the difference. Just email us at service@moosejaw.com with your order number and the URL to the exact same item (same size, same color, same season) and we'll not only credit you the difference, we'll also give you 1000 MOOSEJAW REWARDS POINTS. Click Here for details. Or don't.

List of all retailers supporting the Parawing.
    Thanks all for your input.

http://www.msrcorp.com/buy_now/buyno...spx?SKU=312096

Quote Originally Posted by wezul View Post
    List of all retailers supporting the Parawing.
    Thanks all for your input.

http://www.msrcorp.com/buy_now/buyno...spx?SKU=312096
    Best resource yet.

Nice!