Page 52 of 56 FirstFirst ... 2 42 50 51 52 53 54 ... LastLast

Thread: Post a picture of your hexhead.

Quote Originally Posted by rangerreece View Post
    Ursula with mew chrome pipes
    Hey Rangerreece,

Looks "very" nice! Two questions: First, are those just new factory headers or something aftermarket? That's one thing I wish BMW's wouldn't do is discolor the chrome near the cylinder. I know it's very common and I don't really worry about it but it sure looks better while it's still shiny! Second, is that the original windshield? The reason I ask is because of the difference in shape but I'm not sure if that's just a difference in year models? I've still got the original on mine. I added the Laminarlip to it and am amazed at the difference it made but I'm still considering going for something a little taller. If I could find something a couple inches taller and then put the Laminarlip on top of that, I think it would be perfect. We'll see!

Ride Safe,
    Steve R.
    2013 R1200RT

And here's mine!

DSC_0005.jpg

Ride Safe,
    Steve R.
    2013 R1200RT

Oem

Yes Steve OEM chrome and windshield. From time to time I upgrade Ursula with original OEM options. Chrome headers are always going to discolor on the 1200, it just takes a lot of shining to minimize it. I had steel ones prior and after 7 years they looked like a$$ so the wife got me new headers and headlamp assembly for birthday this year.
    2005 R1200RT
    BMWMOA # 143779
    "Positive Habit Transfer is no substitute for Situational Awareness."

Quote Originally Posted by rangerreece View Post
    Yes Steve OEM chrome and windshield. From time to time I upgrade Ursula with original OEM options. Chrome headers are always going to discolor on the 1200, it just takes a lot of shining to minimize it. I had steel ones prior and after 7 years they looked like a$$ so the wife got me new headers and headlamp assembly for birthday this year.
    The pipes on the boxers are single wall and as such will always blue. It used to bug me but then I realized it was just kind of a "BMW merit badge" and the way a BMW should look. The only solution is to have then Jet Coated. My buddy did that and they always looked clean and silver. Also, I am pretty sure the only "chrome" you get when you order the "chrome" exhaust is a chrome muffler can. Both my 2006 RT and my 2012 GSA have the Chrome Exhaust option and I like the look of the chrome muffler much better. When I asked the dealer he told me the BMW "chrome option" means a chrome muffler can.
    Ed Apelian
    When Life Throws You a Curve Lean into it!
    2002 BMW R1150GS - (sold) Replaced with '12 R1200GSA Magma Red!
    2006 R1200RT- Granite Gray

Quote Originally Posted by gsinnc View Post
    The pipes on the boxers are single wall and as such will always blue. It used to bug me but then I realized it was just kind of a "BMW merit badge" and the way a BMW should look. The only solution is to have then Jet Coated. My buddy did that and they always looked clean and silver. Also, I am pretty sure the only "chrome" you get when you order the "chrome" exhaust is a chrome muffler can. Both my 2006 RT and my 2012 GSA have the Chrome Exhaust option and I like the look of the chrome muffler much better. When I asked the dealer he told me the BMW "chrome option" means a chrome muffler can.
    What's this "Jet Coat" thing you mention? Is it interior or exterior to the pipe? My understanding was that the discoloration was a result of the exhaust heat. Most bikes use a double walled exhaust piping so the exterior has some insulation as it were and doesn't get quite hot enough to blue up the chrome. Of course, it's still plenty hot enough to take the skin off your hand or arm if you touch it.

Thanks for any additional info!

Ride Safe,
    Steve R.
    2013 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by srhodes13 View Post
    What's this "Jet Coat" thing you mention? Is it interior or exterior to the pipe? My understanding was that the discoloration was a result of the exhaust heat. Most bikes use a double walled exhaust piping so the exterior has some insulation as it were and doesn't get quite hot enough to blue up the chrome. Of course, it's still plenty hot enough to take the skin off your hand or arm if you touch it.

Thanks for any additional info!

Ride Safe,
    Steve R.
    You are correct about the pipes ... BMW are single wall and all single wall pipes will blue.

Here is some info on the Jet Coat product. My buddy got his done in Mooresville, NC

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/j...ting_overview/
    Ed Apelian
    When Life Throws You a Curve Lean into it!
    2002 BMW R1150GS - (sold) Replaced with '12 R1200GSA Magma Red!
    2006 R1200RT- Granite Gray

My good looking RT
    Last edited by 56223; 10-18-2013 at 02:44 PM.
    Pete
    2010 R1200RT

In the fog

Here's my 2012 RT On the Cherohala Skyway and the Blue Ridge Parkway
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here is my largely Carbon Fiber bodied R1200S after matte coating:

IMG_13172.jpg

The directional lenses have been replaced by white ones since this photo was taken (bulbs silver-coated orange included) too.
    My bike shown here
    Jordan M, MOA #24434
    My Blog

mrbreeze
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ-J View Post
    Here is my largely Carbon Fiber bodied R1200S after matte coating:

IMG_13172.jpg

The directional lenses have been replaced by white ones since this photo was taken (bulbs silver-coated orange included) too.
    that's a good looking bike!

Quote Originally Posted by mrbreeze View Post
    that's a good looking bike!

Thank you! It rides sweet, being lighter.
    My bike shown here
    Jordan M, MOA #24434
    My Blog

Here is my new to me 2005 R1200ST with and without touring baggage

09 GSA in Yellowstone National Park

Quote Originally Posted by broncodriver View Post
    I don't think you're going to win that battle!
    2013 R1200RT

2007 GS
    Purchased 2 yrs ago with 1,700 miles on the clock. Will roll over 20k before end of year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Attached Images Attached Images