Thread: 08 12RT - BMR Co-Pilot shelf questions

08 12RT - BMR Co-Pilot shelf questions

Two questions for those who have a BMR Co-Pilot shelf installed on their RT:

1. Are you happy with the overall quality/durability?

2. Does the shelf help at all with the glare issue with the instruments?

Thanks,

Tim

drgnhtr

Happy

With it. Mine carries an XM radio and a Garmin gps. Does nothing to eliminate glare.

Bmr

No.
    Overall aesthetic sense is heavy and 'over-built'. Bulky looking and over engineered.
    Finish is questionable. There isn't much refinement with BMR.

Same glare factor.

Love mine. It replaced a Migsel mount which was too flimsy. BRM shelf holds two gps', radar detector, xm radio puck, and anything else I can put on it. It's perfect and if you have any issues with it, the customer service is excellent.

I run a BMR shelf and BMR accessories on my 07 RT. Does it do anything about glare - not really. The comment about it being overbuilt is hardly accurate IMO. When it comes to engineering something that mounts to a motorcycle, that's subjected to all weather conditions, vibration from the motorcycle and significant sharp bumps and jolts - it HAS the be strong. The BMR Shelf is certainly able to take all I've tossed at it.

The bike has 100,000 plus miles on it and I have no idea how I got where I wanted to go before I put the accessories shown at the link below, before I mounted the BMR Shelf.

This BMR shelf has been on my bike for over 85,000 miles. It's a rock solid piece of kit that's served me well. Finish is dull so it doesn't reflect. As with any fairing mounted item, on sharp bumps, it does move a bit- WITH the fairing. The mount itself is rock solid on the fairing and transmits zero vibration through the accessories mounted on it so reading GPS displays in not problem.

Using BMR mounts, mine carries a Garmin 550, Garmin 478, V-1 and a Garmin XM Puck. Other items on the shelf are a Fisher Space Pen between the GPSs, A 28db Gilsson GPS antenna behind the 550 [connected to the 478], A TPMS on the right lower shelf and on the lower support [not seen] is an amp/volt meter with alarm to monitor electrical state on the road. See photo at link.

http://www.nmpcs.com/Bikes/R12RT/bmr-1.jpg

Highly Recommended.
    Nom de Plume:
    Steve Aikens, Clovis, NM
    BMW MOA #6218
    IBA# 442

Dash Stuff

This looks unsightly...
    I'm becoming nauseous just viewing all that stuff. If I needed to look at all that crap riding; I wouldn't ride.
    You definitely need something built like bmr.

I clearly need your opinion about my riding - and probably riding lessons from you.

Please accept my apologies for offending you.

I really should have contacted you for your advice before I started riding in 1956 - well, if you were on the planet then.

Have a nice life.
    Nom de Plume:
    Steve Aikens, Clovis, NM
    BMW MOA #6218
    IBA# 442