Thread: Security

Security

Hi All, I own a 1985 K-100RS. There is a key hole located above the motor. Is it a security system? If so how does it work?
    Thanks,
    Al

What's that noise...? basketcase's Avatar

Keyholes --

- Ignition switch -- obvious.

- Fork lock -- on the right side of the steering head ... or is it the left on an '85? Either way, it's a bugger to get to, IME.

- Seat lock -- on the left side at the bottom edge of the seat, about mid-way between the "Y" section of the frame.

Assuming it is not one of those, it must be some type of add on. Two questions:

1. Have you tried it to see what happens?

2. Can you by any chance post a picture?

And welcome to the asylum.
    '98 BMW Z3 Roadster, '00 R1100RT

If you insist on exercising a right to burn our flag, first be so kind as to wrap yourself in it and then douse yourself with gasoline just before you strike the match.

Security

None of the above, . It's raining now, I'll post a pic tomorrow.
    Thanks.
    Al

Security

None of the above, . It's raining now, I'll post a pic tomorrow.
    Thanks.
    Al

My 91 K100LT has a factory alarm with the key switch mounted above the ignition coil cover on the relay box. It came with a separate key. The actual alarm module is under the seat in the tool tray. There is a plunger switch that would set the alarm off if the seat were opened. I believe it has a motion sensor in it. I also believe that it is suppose to detect the ignition switch being turned on. I seem to remember that the bike should be on the centerstand before arming the alarm. Also I believe that there is a backup battery built into the alarm module in case someone tried to disable the alarm by removing the ground on the main battery.
    2004 R1150RT 151,500 miles , 1991 K100LT 128,000 miles, 1982 R100RT 106,900 miles
    Total 386,400 BMW miles
    AMA,BMWRA,BMWMOA
    The cheapest thing on a BMW is the nut that connects the handlebars to the seat.