View Poll Results: How often do you replace your helmet?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Never -

4 7.41%
  • Every few years

20 37.04%
  • When I get a new bike I need to match

3 5.56%
  • Religiously - every four or five years

27 50.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Helmet life span

Re: Helmut life span

Originally posted by guitarian
    83 years seems to be the life span of the Newton Helmut.
    very good!

Re: Helmet lifespan

Tell your wife every three to five years. She won't complain as much when you blow some cash on a new one.

Shoei vs HJC

Bought a Shoei TZ-1 last year, it fits but I dropped it several times and it is getting dinged so I went shopping, I wanted a shield I could change without tools, a removable cool-max liner, light weight and a minimum of extrusions to catch air and water.
    I also wamted to add speakers and a microphone for a comm system without having to cut up the inside of the helmet.

Found the HJC AC-11 at the Chicago Motorcycle show. bought one from my dealer for 125.00 and here is my .02. I also looked at Arai and Nolan.

While the HJC may be 8 oz lighter on the uncalibtrated postal scale it is physically larger than the Shoei and grabs more air. This very noticeable at highway speeds in the state of MI which is 70 mph.
    The little air vents are noisy, they even whistle at times but then it quits.
    I think the roar inside th helmet is louder on the HJC.
    The unfoggable shield in the HJC fogs very easily at 40 degrees in daytime and nighttime. even with a anti-fog treatment I am still having visibility problems.

The main reason I was going to replace the Shoei was the annoying habit the shield has aquired of trying to pop off the helmet everytime I flip it open, a real nuisance at speed.

Of by the way the HJC is much more difficult to flip open than the Shoei was before I started to have problems with the shield.

By the way, if your paying $50-70 for a shield you are getting hosed. Shoei makes a plain clear or tinted shield without all of the shiny stuff for $15-20. You can get it direct from Shoei at their website www.shoei.com.
    "Experience teaches us things we would prefer not to know". BEinIN
    '05 1200 GS, '96 K1100LT, '94 K75RT, '90 K100LT , '73 R60/5
    Rounder #9, IBA #25858

Kool Aid Dispenser! jimvonbaden's Avatar

Re: Shoei vs HJC

Originally posted by dzimbric
    Bought a Shoei TZ-1 last year,...

By the way, if your paying $50-70 for a shield you are getting hosed. Shoei makes a plain clear or tinted shield without all of the shiny stuff for $15-20. You can get it direct from Shoei at their website www.shoei.com.
    That's what I was thinking. $50-70 for a face shield?

I realize that we Beemr types are a little snobby about our gear, but you can buy DOT approved helmets for $70 if you look around, and they come with a shield. The ultimate in disposable gear.

I recently read an article that said most helmets work about the same, and the only big difference is quiet, weight and comfort.

My Nolan 100E is just fine at $175, and $17.95 for a new shield.

Jim

Re: Re: Helmet lifespan

Originally posted by dkandersen
    Tell your wife every three to five years. She won't complain as much when you blow some cash on a new one.
    Right On. Gives me an excuse to whip out the credit card.

Thanks
    2008 R12RT (Blue)
    1986 R80RT (Silver)

Member of the Loonie-Tics. MOA 292.