Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Rustic Road Patch

Rustic Road Patch

As some of you may know the State of Wisconsin has a Rustic Roads Program. http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/travel/...usticroads.htm These are roads that are generally out in the country and are generally very pleasant to ride. If you can document (with a photo) that you have riden 10 rustic roads the State will send you a patch. I'm willing to lead a ride, take the photos and handle the administrative end of getting you your patch. Who, if anyone, is interested in a Rustic Roads ride? If I get enough interest I'll be happy to do the work.
    2005 K1200LT Dark Graphite "Liebchen"
    MOA#126455
    http://beemercockroaches.yuku.com/

Count me in, two bikes.
    Would "prefer" early am.

Did I see somewhere that it would be 300 miles to get 10?
    '05 K1200LT Gold
    MOA Member #125415

Quote Originally Posted by DougC View Post
    Count me in, two bikes.
    Would "prefer" early am.

Did I see somewhere that it would be 300 miles to get 10?
    Only if you are in counties with 1 or 2 roads. We will have to travel a little to get to areas where they are packed together. Probably between 150-200 miles total round trip (and I suspect it will be closer to 150 miles).

FYI, I'm looking at hitting Jefferson, Walworth and Racine Counties which should give us an easy 10 (and then some).

BTW, define the term early. Since I'm camping at the rally I'll be up early which to me is 6-7am but I doubt that there will be too many people that will want to head out that early and if we are doing this on a weekday, I'd like to start after the rush hour. If there is enough interest, we can start out early (8-9ish) and get breakfast on the way.

You guys decide, I already have my patch so this isn't about or for me, I'll accomodate the desires of the majority. BTW, I ride an LT and I dislike dirt and gravel roads. This will not be a GS ride... paved all the way.
    MOA#126455

Patches available at the rally on Friday

FYI - FRIDAY, July 13th.

FYI - The State of Wisconsin will be onsite to validate your photos and to hand out the patches on FRIDAY. You can find them in Hospitality.

Remember, all you need to do is ride and shoot photos of your bike at at least 10 of these lovely roads for a patch. If you really want to go for it, get at least 25 and you will also receive a certificate signed by the Wisconsin Secretary of Transportation.

Stop by and say hello to Ron Thompson, a fellow BMW Rider and MOA member. He also manages our Wisconsin Motorcycle Safety Program. His co-worker Barb Ofstie will also be there to help with this.
    Sue Rihn #43753
    BMW MOA Director - Ambassador
    Sometimes it's the bend in the road that makes life worth the ride.

IÔÇÖm like you, IÔÇÖm ready to ride by 6am. But IÔÇÖll ride when the group does, just a preference. Besides if its only 150 miles, any time will work.
    WeÔÇÖre not getting in until thur night so I was looking for some vendor time in the afternoons Friday, Saterday.
    '05 K1200LT Gold
    MOA Member #125415

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Rihn-Manke View Post
    FYI - FRIDAY, July 13th.

FYI - The State of Wisconsin will be onsite to validate your photos and to hand out the patches on FRIDAY. You can find them in Hospitality.

Remember, all you need to do is ride and shoot photos of your bike at at least 10 of these lovely roads for a patch. If you really want to go for it, get at least 25 and you will also receive a certificate signed by the Wisconsin Secretary of Transportation.

Stop by and say hello to Ron Thompson, a fellow BMW Rider and MOA member. He also manages our Wisconsin Motorcycle Safety Program. His co-worker Barb Ofstie will also be there to help with this.
    Wow Sue,

You think of everything.
    Ride Well, Ride Often, Ride to

Charter Member "High Town" crew.

;We have been working the last few weekends collecting our rustic road photos. I would suggest that you bring a Wisconsin gazetteer along Some of the descriptions in the Rustic Road booklet are inacurrate. Pay close attention to the descriptions. We rode one in western wi that was described as a gravel road. Ended up being one lane wide with numerous water crossings. I wish I could have gotten a shot of a couple of RS's slogging through a stream. (Those GS folks don't have anything on us ) A number of signs have been stolen so it can be tough to find some of the roads. The Rustic Roads are marked in the gazetteers.

Bikes, Guitars, and ... beemokat's Avatar

I'm interested

Quote Originally Posted by JCabranes View Post
    Only if you are in counties with 1 or 2 roads. We will have to travel a little to get to areas where they are packed together. Probably between 150-200 miles total round trip (and I suspect it will be closer to 150 miles).

FYI, I'm looking at hitting Jefferson, Walworth and Racine Counties which should give us an easy 10 (and then some).

BTW, define the term early. Since I'm camping at the rally I'll be up early which to me is 6-7am but I doubt that there will be too many people that will want to head out that early and if we are doing this on a weekday, I'd like to start after the rush hour. If there is enough interest, we can start out early (8-9ish) and get breakfast on the way.

You guys decide, I already have my patch so this isn't about or for me, I'll accomodate the desires of the majority. BTW, I ride an LT and I dislike dirt and gravel roads. This will not be a GS ride... paved all the way.
    I'd actually like to do this ride on Saturday, since I'll be getting to the Rally late in the day Thursday, and like to do the vendor/seminar/volunteer stuff on Friday.
    However, one monkey don't stop no show, so whatever the majority of folks want to do will be OK. If it doesn't work for me, I'll just do my own thing.
    Wherever you go, there you are.

I was just looking through all of the Pictures posted by BeerTeam. Beautiful area. I'm definitely in for the Rustic Road Patch. Thanks.

Last edited by KOINZ; 06-06-2007 at 07:54 PM.

Speaking of gravel 
    Jcabranes, since you are on an LT, can I assume you will keep us on paved roads?
    '05 K1200LT Gold
    MOA Member #125415

You may have missed it but he did state no Gravel Roads.

I ride an LT and I dislike dirt and gravel roads

I'd like to join in if on Fri. I have to leave Sat early...work Sat eve.
    Attitude is everything!
    1978 R100/7
    08' V-Strom 650 great light weight tourer

rodgtc

Sounds like fun

Keep me informed I would love to take that ride if the timing works out. I am volunteering from 4 PM to 8 PM on Friday.

05 LT

Rodger

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffMiller View Post
    ;We have been working the last few weekends collecting our rustic road photos. I would suggest that you bring a Wisconsin gazetteer along Some of the descriptions in the Rustic Road booklet are inacurrate. Pay close attention to the descriptions. We rode one in western wi that was described as a gravel road. Ended up being one lane wide with numerous water crossings. I wish I could have gotten a shot of a couple of RS's slogging through a stream. (Those GS folks don't have anything on us ) A number of signs have been stolen so it can be tough to find some of the roads. The Rustic Roads are marked in the gazetteers.
    That's why I'm looking at doing Jefferson, Racine and Walworth Counties. I live in Racine County and have been on most of the ones I plan to photo. Since the DOT will be on site Friday we should get cracking early Friday. Lets figure 8am so we can be back at the rally site by early afternoon. Or we can do it Thursday and take our time... your (collective) call.
    MOA#126455

Count me in too, please. (If you will have a baby beemer in your group)

I am coming down from the north so I was planning to get a few in on the way.